Rumor: RIM to bring BB Messenger to Android, iOS

By on March 3, 2011, 10:29 AM
According to "multiple trusted sources" speaking to Boy Genius Report, Research In Motion is planning to bring its popular BlackBerry Messenger application and service to Android and iOS platforms. The move would appear to come in response to the surge of cross-platform imitators like WhatsApp and Kik, the latter of which was recently pulled from the BlackBerry App World and is currently involved in a copyright infringement lawsuit with the Canadian firm.

Timing and pricing details haven't been finalized yet, though it's believed that the Android app would come first and will likely be a free, stripped down version of BlackBerry Messenger. That way Android and iOS users can communicate with anyone who has a smartphone using BBM, but they might not be able to get the full BlackBerry Messenger experience unless they get an actual BlackBerry smartphone.

Sounds like a smart move on RIM's part but unless they seriously revamp their BlackBerry OS -- perhaps with some of that QNX goodness -- and bring in developers, this will probably have the exact opposite effect. For many, BBM is the main reason they are clinging on to their BlackBerry smartphones, and opening up the service to other platforms might be just the incentive they need to jump ship. If RIM indeed offers a stripped-down version of BBM on other platforms there's plenty of alternatives to choose from which is certainly easier than switching smartphones altogether.

mario mario, Ex-TS Developer, said:

Please let this be real, I would love to change my aging Blackberry Curve to something more 'smart'.

stewi0001 stewi0001 said:

BBM is awesome and I am planning on getting an Android when the time comes.

princeton princeton said:

I'm not sure. It's the only reason anyone buys their phones anymore. Android devices can do anything a blackberry can and a lot more. Even opera allows for data compression like on blackberries.

Jibberish18 said:

Honestly this sounds like a bad idea to me. Seem like it'll hurt them more than anything.

KG363 KG363 said:

A lot of people i know have BB for BBM. Now they will likely get an iphone

matrix86 matrix86 said:

kg363 said:

A lot of people i know have BB for BBM. Now they will likely get an iphone

That is unless they have any sense in their head :P

Jibberish18 said:

There is indeed that chance...but i'm willing to risk it :P

marioestrada said:

I would love to change my Blackberry Curve to something more 'smart'.

I HIGHLY agree. I thought mine was cool at first...but then I held an android phone and it changed me forever...only 6 more months before I can kick my BB to the curve (haha, just realized the pun there, lol) and upgrade to an android (well, at a cheap price anyway...I could do it now but it'd cost twice as much...unless anyone has a working MyTouch 4G they're willing to give me for free

aj_the_kidd said:

Its a stripped down version so i wouldn't jumping ship yet if your a BB owner, nor am i waiting in anticipation as an android owner.