WinRAR 4.00 released, up to 30% faster decompression

By on March 9, 2011, 4:40 PM
After almost three months of beta testing, WinRAR 4.00 has been released. You can download the new version directly for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.

The most impressive improvement is in the decompression, which is now up to 30 percent faster, depending on the file format you use. There's now also a password manager for regular compression jobs, though the passwords are not encrypted. Still, when extracting multiple archives you can now set WinRAR to use the same password for all of them. For more information, check out the page What's new in the latest version.

It's worth noting that as of version 4.00, WinRAR will no longer work on older Windows operating systems, including as 98, ME, and NT. The minimum requirement is now Windows 2000. On Windows 7, WinRAR will show progress of the entire operation in the taskbar.

WinRAR is available in 32-bit and 64-bit flavors. It supports the following languages: Arabic, Chinese Traditional, Croatian, Dutch, English, French, German, Hebrew, Hungarian, Macedonian, Romanian, Russian, Serbian Cyrillic, Serbian Latin, Slovak, Slovenian, Thai, and Vietnamese.

I personally have not used WinRAR for a good few years. Are you still using it? If not, what's your favorite software for extracting archives?

princeton princeton said:

I use it because I honestly just need my computer to be able to open them and google gave me winrar first.

Also "It's worth noting that as of version 4.00, WinRAR will no longer work on older Windows operating system"

It should say systems

7-zip or bust.

KG363 KG363 said:

I'be been using 7-zip for the last few years

cyriene said:

7-zip has been working well for me.

tonylukac said:

Be nice to know what winrar does as not everyone knows every piece of software. Is it like winzip?

TJGeezer said:

Similar to MP3s for sound, RAR seems to be a de facto standard compression format - everyone has the ability to unpack it so it doesn't matter if it's the best. Could say the same for the Zip format. I've used WinRAR for years, for its compatibility and its ability to encrypt an archive's filenames as well as the contents. I do use 7-Zip for most of my local archives, the ones that won't go up to the web for storage.

Nima304 said:

I've used WinRAR and WinZip in the past, nothing compares to the speed and easy usability of WinRAR. I'll be upgrading to 4.00 soon, I just uninstalled the old version.

WinZip v12 to compress and 7-Zip v4.65 to decompress, only zip format... fastest than WinRAR for very large files (HDDs of virtual machines like Virtual PC, VirtualBox and VMware).

bonniesmith bonniesmith said:

nismo91 said:

7-zip here too. no more trial nagging screen and it's pretty lightweight.

I use both 7zip and winrar. I use 7zip as general purpose tool and winrar to test an archive because in multi part archives, winrar shows me which part is corrupt.

Jibberish18 said:

Peazip for Windows.

ansh1993 said:

Good news ! a very nice & light software .

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

Great news, I bought my license a few years ago because the nagging was annoying me.

I do prefer WinRAR over 7-zip, here are the usage stats on Steams hardware survey; http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

WinRAR; 45.28%

7-Zip; 17.90%

WinZip; 4.28%

BTW, here is the Windows x64 version; http://www.rarlab.com/rar/winrar-x64-400.exe

@bonniesmith

on March 9, 2011

9:34 PM The only thing I hate with winrar is having to X out /cancel the 'trial' screen everytime, not like people are lining up to buy. Just make a free and paid version, simple.

How bout you pay for the damn thing? That'll get rid of the

nag screen too. *****.

I have used WinRAR for probably 20 years WinRAR has always offered cutting edge performance and a bloatware free product. I bought a license a few years ago (after 20 years I think owed them that and probably a lot more) and the great thing about it is that for that one time license fee I have been able to use that license with every new release since. I'll be a WinRAR user for life.

Staff
Rick Rick, TechSpot Staff, said:

IzArc > 7zip ;-)

And WinRAR truly is the best compression utility, in my humble opinion.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

IzArc have shell integration?

I switched from WinRAR to 7zip a couple years ago. I liked WinRAR just fine, but I never paid for a license, 7zip was free, so I just install that now on any fresh installations of Windows.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

7-Zip is all I've needed in recent years .

Staff
Rick Rick, TechSpot Staff, said:

SNGX1275 said:

IzArc have shell integration?

Yes, it does have shell integration (right click on a folder/file to open/compress/extract). It also supports drag 'n drop and it's a little more feature and design oriented than 7zip.

WinRAR is a better program fur sure, but it is my belief that IZArc is superior to 7zip.

I have an anecdote that doesn't really have much bearing on IZ vs 7z, but I actually managed to find a compressed file format that even the mighty 7zip couldn't open. To my surprise, IZArc had no problems with it. I'm sold.