WinRAR puts you ahead of the crowd when it comes to compression. By consistently creating smaller archives, WinRAR is often faster than the competition. This will save you disc space, transmission costs AND valuable working time as well.
- WinRAR supports all popular compression formats (RAR, ZIP, CAB, ARJ, LZH, ACE, TAR, GZip, UUE, ISO, BZIP2, Z and 7-Zip).
- WinRAR is ideal for multimedia files. WinRAR automatically recognizes and selects the best compression method. The special compression algorithm compresses multimedia files, executables and object libraries particularly well.
- WinRAR allows you to split archives into separate volumes easily, making it possible to save them on several disks for example.
- WinRAR is also ideal, if you are sending data through the web. Its 128 bit password encryption and its authenticated signature technology will give you the peace of mind you have been looking for.
- WinRAR is shareware, meaning you have the chance to thoroughly test it. The program can be used absolutely free of charge for 40 days!
- WinRAR licenses are valid for all available language and platform versions. If you have purchased several licenses, you can even mix versions to meet your own personal needs.
- WinRAR gives you all future UPDATES for FREE!
- "Files to process" option on "Time" page of archiving dialog allows to choose files based on modification, creation or last access file time. Previously it was possible for modification time only.
- Command line -ta, -tb, -tn, -to switches accept 'm', 'c' and 'a' modifiers after the switch name. So file time conditions can include not only the file modification time as in previous versions, but also creation and last access time. Such switch can include multiple modifiers to set the same date for all specified times. For example, -tamc20190215 will process files modified and created after 2019-02-15. New 'o' modifier permits to switch from AND to OR logic, so -tamco20190215 includes files modified or created after 2019-02-15. It is also allowed to specify several time filtering switches with different dates in the same command line, like: -taco20190201 -tbmo20190210 Switches -ta and -tn also include files matching the specified date exactly. Switches -tb and -to exclude such files.
- WinRAR file list can display creation and last access file times if they are available. Creation and last access columns are disabled by default and can be enabled in "Select file list columns" dialog. This dialog is opened after right clicking on file list column headers or after pressing "File list/Files/Columns..." button in WinRAR settings.
- "Double extensions for archives" and "Archives in subfolders" options on "Files" page of archiving dialog modify behavior of "Put each file to separate archive" option. You can switch between archive names in filename.ext.rar and filename.rar style with "Double extensions for archives". You can create a separate archive for every file in selected subfolders or store the entire contents of every selected folder in separate archive depending on the state of "Archives in subfolders" option.
- New -ad1 switch can be used when unpacking multiple archives recursively, such as 'rar x -r -ad1 arc\*.rar'. It creates a separate folder for files unpacked from each archive, but unlike already existing -ad switch, it creates such folders in each archive folder.
- If context menu "Extract each archive to separate folder" is applied to archives from different folders in Windows Explorer "Search results", subfolders with unpacked files are created in each archive folder. Previous versions created them all in a folder of right clicked archive.
- New "File list/List style/Checkboxes" option in WinRAR settings allows to use checkboxes to select file list items.
- New "File list/Files/Exact sizes" option in WinRAR settings. If this option is on, file sizes are always displayed in bytes. If it is off, sizes are rounded up and use units such as KB or MB. Smaller files can be still displayed in bytes.
- If several console RAR are started with -ioff switch, PC is turned off by RAR copy finished last. Previously this switch was processed by first finished copy.
- Read and write buffer size is increased for .iso files. It can help to improve .iso extraction performance in some cases, such as for network drives.
- If "Delete archive" option in extraction dialog is applied to a set of RAR and REV volumes in volname.part# format, WinRAR will delete REV volumes as well. Previously only RAR volumes were deleted keeping REV files intact.
- If "Delete archive" option in extraction dialog is applied to set of ZIP volumes with .zip.001, .zip.002, .zip.003 extensions, WinRAR will delete all ZIP volumes. Previously only .zip.001 volume was deleted for such volume naming scheme.
- If we unpack arcname.rar using "Extract to arcname\" Explorer context menu command and "arcname" file already exists, WinRAR shell extension will propose "Extract to arcname~1\" instead. Previously this context menu command attempted to create a folder with same name as already existing file and failed.
- If we pack a shortcut file with .lnk extension from Explorer context menu, .lnk file itself is added to archive. Previous versions added .lnk file target instead of .lnk file.
- Windows does not allow executables exceeding 4 GB, so WinRAR issues an error immediately when attempting to create 4 GB or larger RAR SFX volumes. Previously WinRAR issued such error only after creating the first RAR volume.
- Total extraction progress is displayed for 7z multivolume archives. Accuracy of 7z total extraction progress is improved.
- "Find" command "Disks and folders" drop down list has been renamed to "Search area". Additionally to already existing choices, it includes a new "Selected items" option restricting search to files and folders selected in WinRAR file list.
- "Find" command displays the number of found items in status bar.
- "Diagnostic messages" window displays archive names in a separate column to provide the better message visibility for lengthy archive names.
- Switch -isnd[-] in command line WinRAR mode allows to override "Enable sound" option in WinRAR settings. Use -isnd to turn sound notifications on and -isnd- to turn them off.
- Nadav Grossman from Check Point Software Technologies informed us about a security vulnerability in UNACEV2.DLL library. Aforementioned vulnerability makes possible to create files in arbitrary folders inside or outside of destination folder when unpacking ACE archives. WinRAR used this third party library to unpack ACE archives. UNACEV2.DLL had not been updated since 2005 and we do not have access to its source code. So we decided to drop ACE archive format support to protect security of WinRAR users. We are thankful to Check Point Software Technologies for reporting this issue.
- console RAR mixed up source and destination file sizes and times in the overwrite prompt when updating a file in RAR archive with -o switch
- dragging files from 32-bit applications to 64-bit WinRAR window did not work
- WinRAR Shift+Del command applied to a folder could fail to delete some its subfolders. This command is used to delete files and folders permanently instead of moving them to Recycle Bin
- folder tree panel could not change folders if archived pathnames started from path separator, such as in archives created by tar tool with --absolute-names option
- if relative "Path=.\somefolder" was specified in SFX comment and SFX archive needed to elevate privileges when extracting, it created 'somefolder\somefolder' instead of 'somefolder'
- commands modifying an existing RAR4 volume reset the volume number field to 1. While it did not affect extraction, WinRAR displayed a wrong volume number for such volumes
- fixed a crash when reading a comment from a corrupt RAR file
- toolbar in "Find" command "Search results" window was not adjusted to different toolbar icon sizes properly.
- "Delete archive" extraction option deletes all volumes even if user started extraction from non-first RAR volume, but first volume is present and all files are unpacked successfully. In such case previous versions ignored "Delete archive" even if WinRAR was able to locate the first volume and process the volume set from beginning.
- Compression ratio bar is not displayed on "Archive" page of Explorer file properties for archives with encrypted file names. WinRAR cannot reliably calculate it for such archives without a password and previously it just displayed 0% here.
- WinRAR displayed "The specified password is incorrect" message infinitely when attempting to open RAR5 archive with encrypted file names if wrong global password was set with Ctrl+P
- Memory management bug in the password dialog could lead to access to already freed memory followed by crash. This issue may be also associated with security risks
- Fixed crashes in corrupt RAR, ACE and LZH archives. This issue may be also associated with security risks
- While starting, WinRAR could cause a brief flickering in menu bars of few other applications
- WinRAR "Find" command matched "String to find" against all archived files ignoring "File names to find" mask when searching in CAB archives
- SFX module "License" command did not set a title of license window
- If "Start-up folder" in WinRAR settings included the trailing backslash, WinRAR ignored first "Up one level" command.
- We updated WinRAR graphics. We are grateful to http://weirdsgn.com and http://icondesignlab.com designers participated in this endeavor and proud to announce that WinRAR uses the new icon set prepared by Aditya Nugraha Putra from http://weirdsgn.com. Previous WinRAR icons are available as interface theme here: https://rarlab.com/themes/WinRAR_Classic_48x36.theme.rar
- "Repair" command efficiency is improved for recovery record protected RAR5 archives. Now it can detect deletions and insertions of unlimited size also as shuffled data including data taken from several recovery record protected archives and merged into a single file in arbitrary order.
- "Turn PC off when done" archiving option is changed to "When done" drop down list, so you can turn off, hibernate or sleep your PC after completing archiving.
- Use -ioff or -ioff1 command line switch to turn PC off, -ioff2 to hibernate and -ioff3 to sleep your PC after completing an operation.
- If encoding of comment file specified in -z
switch is not defined with -sc switch, RAR attempts to detect UTF-8, UTF-16LE and UTF-16BE encodings based on the byte order mask and data validity tests.
- WinRAR attempts to detect ANSI, OEM and UTF-8 encodings of ZIP archive comments automatically.
- "Internal viewer/Use DOS encoding" option in "Settings/Viewer" is replaced with "Internal viewer/Autodetect encoding". If "Autodetect encoding" is enabled, the internal viewer attempts to detect ANSI (Windows), OEM (DOS), UTF-8 and UTF-16 encodings.
- Normally Windows Explorer context menu contains only extraction commands if single archive has been right clicked. You can override this by specifying one or more space separated masks in "Always display archiving items for" option in Settings/Integration/Context menu items", so archiving commands are always displayed for these file types even if file was recognized as archive. If you wish both archiving and extraction commands present for all archives, place "*" here.
- SFX module "SetupCode" command accepts an optional integer parameter allowing to control mapping of setup program and SFX own error codes. It is also accessible as "Exit code adjustment" option in "Advanced SFX options/Setup" dialog.
- New "Show more information" WinRAR command line -im switch. It can be used with "t" command to issue a message also in case of successful archive test result. Without this switch "t" command completes silently if no errors are found. This switch is applicable only to WinRAR.exe and ignored by console RAR.exe.
- If a wrong password is entered when unpacking an encrypted file in ZIP archive, WinRAR proposes to enter a valid password for same file again instead of aborting extraction.
- If a wrong password is entered when opening or unpacking RAR archive with encrypted file names, WinRAR proposes to enter a valid password again instead of aborting the operation. Previous versions already did so for RAR archives with encrypted file data, but aborted for archives with file name encryption.
- WinRAR recognizes GZIP files with arbitrary data preceding an actual GZIP archive, such as .scexe firmware files.
- @filelist parameter can be specified in "Files to add" field of archiving dialog. In this case WinRAR will attempt the list of archiving files from 'filelist' file, which should be the plain text, one file name per line.
- Info dialog:
- compression ratio graph is updated;
- Names and data" is displayed in "Encryption" field for archives with encrypted file names.
- Full archive name is displayed if mouse pointer is placed over an archive name in the operation progress window. It can be useful if archive name is lengthy and does not fit to available window space.
- If -ts1 switch is used with -u or -f, file time comparison is performed with 1 second precision. Previosuly in such case we could wrongly treat an adding file as newer than archived just because we compared the high precision adding file time against the low precision archived file time.
- "Update" and "Fresh" commands ('u' and 'f' in the command line mode) quit immediately if no files are to be updated. Previously they created a temporary archive before quitting when updating archives with recovery record or quick open information.
- Prompt is issued after creating 500 volumes from WinRAR GUI shell, so user can continue or quit further archiving. It is done to prevent creating many thousands of volumes in case of wrongly entered volume size.
- WinRAR uses megabytes instead of bytes as default units for volume size field in the archiving dialog.
- "Repair" command issues "Recovery record is corrupt" message after repairing RAR5 archive containing a broken recovery record. Previously such message was issued only by "Test" command and "Repair" handled most of recovery record damages silently.
- Bugs fixed:
- fixed potential security issues when processing corrupt RAR archives;
- non-English characters in TAR files with PAX extended headers were not displayed correctly;
- quot;rar x arcname.rar .." command unpacked files to current folder instead of its parent;
- pasting files from Windows Explorer to archive opened in WinRAR blocked further copy and paste operations in Explorer until archiving was finished;
- SFX module issued "The specified password is incorrect" message infinitely not prompting for correct password once a wrong password was entered;
- folders time was always set when extracting ZIP archives even if "File time" options in the extraction dialog were turned off;
- if "Delete archive: Always" was selected when extracting and user pressed "Cancel" in the file overwrite or password prompt, an archive could be deleted even after cancelling extraction for .zip and .7z formats.
Apps similar to WinRAR for Mac 10
The Unarchiver is a much more capable replacement for "Archive Utility.app", the built-in archive extraction program on macOS.
Allows you to manage and control archive files. The archive is usually a regular file, which name has a ".rar" suffix.
- Free to Try
If the command line is not your thing - here's a GUI front-end for unrar.