Toshiba's 10.1-inch iPad 2 competitor surfaces on Amazon

By on March 21, 2011, 5:19 PM
Update: It seems Toshiba is simply calling this the "Toshiba Tablet" for now. An official sneak peek website can be found here. Release date is still unconfirmed.

An unnamed Toshiba tablet has appeared on Amazon and seems to be the company's touted iPad competitor. Although Toshiba has claimed its device is "superior" to the iPad 2, the company has remained quiet about specifications. Fortunately, Amazon's product page reveals plenty of details, so we'll let you be the judge.

The nameless tablet carries a 10.1-inch 1280x800 multitouch screen with Toshiba's Adaptive Display technology. It's powered by a dual-core Nvidia Tegra 2 processor and Google's Android 3.0 mobile operating system. The front dons a two-megapixel webcam for video calls, while the rear has a five-megapixel cam.

Amazon's listing also mentions an interchangeable rubber backplate that comes in various colors, a user-replaceable prismatic lithium battery, and stereo speakers with "Toshiba sound enhancements." I/O includes USB 2.0, mini-USB and HDMI ports, a full-sized SD card reader, as well as 802.11n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity.

You'll also find the usual band of sensors, including a gyroscope, accelerometer (paired with a hardware orientation lock), e-compass, GPS and ambient light. Although Toshiba will provide its own app store, the device will come with Google's Android Market place. Oh, and needless to say, the slate supports Adobe Flash.

Cueto_99 said:

Nothing fancy about it, althought I really like the user replaceable battery... If the price is right it might become the first real ipad 2 competitor...

How could this not be better than the iPad 2? USB, SD, HDMI, and 2 cameras, are all good things while having things that are "interchangable" and "user-replaceable" are also great. The only thing I could potentially see this thing from taking off is the price, although I'd wager a guess that it'll be priced competitively with the iPad 2.

Please be $600 or less.

MrAnderson said:

I agree with Cueto_99, if the price is right... I say b/w 500-600 for a 32 GB Wifi unit, and the software works flawlessly with the hardware, we might have a winner.

The question is when?!

Oh and I hate to say this, but I think Adobe should put more resources behind getting Flash on ANdroid and other Mobile before the PC unless a major release version. I mean the PC has enough horse power, the mobile devices need the best possible version. Who knows we might just see a shift when the Tablets start over taking standard computer purchases... err years from now =P

IAMTHESTIG said:

Looks good... hope it shows up in retail stores so I can get my hands on it and try it out. Not talking about mobile phone stores, i'm talking about a real electronics store.

This was actually featured at CES 2011.

It seems Toshiba isn't exactly trying to keep a lid on it...

PinothyJ said:

Correction: the two cameras you have listed in the article are the other way around.

This looks sexy...

Rasta211 said:

I know what I'm getting for Boxing day, yeah I know but it will be worth the wait!

PinothyJ said:

captainawesome said:

batter life?????

Tempura?

Wait, the Front-Facing camera is 5MP? And the rear camera is 2MP?

Am I reading this wrong?

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Flash. Cool.

Why are all the tablets coming in around 500 when netbooks are so much less. I thought the Apple price premium made the iPad 500 but now every other tablet is using that as the benchmark. Why not undercut Apple and bring the prices down. More money can be made in content with more devices out there and you can get a larger market share. Once a customer has paid lots of money for content will they want to switch brand and lose all their hard paid apps? Surely get the devices out there is more important right now as Apple has such a lead.

Please be $399 or less and you will make a killing. If not...just another face in the crowd. I agree...The prices on these things need to come down to reality. if I can get a full working laptop for that does way more for $399 ....these need to be price in that range too. I know its possible...look at the Nook

Humm if this price list is to believed..

priced-499-7-inch-coming-september

This tablet and many more are all shooting for $499. Although not completely pricing yourself out of the market like the Xoom .. I don't think $499 is cheap enough to gain any market share over Apple. Unless you can hit $399 or cheaper the mass market will more than likely stay with Apple. Dang you Apple!

techb0t said:

Quote: Although Toshiba has claimed its device is "superior" to the iPad 2. Superior, really? A superior tablet should have much better hardware, quad core, 2g ram 128g hard drive and 20 hr battery life. Since when does Toshiba makes "superior" products? The truth is, the iPad will have superior sales compared to Toshiba's tablet. Ipad's the one to beat. If Toshiba's want's my money, they better have "superior" pricing.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

If it doesn't have an IPS screen, that's how.

Besides, Apple might argue that since it has USB...etc....it's really a chintzy "Macbook Air" competitor, with a crappy TN touch screen.

any leaks on possible release dates?

uhh.... yes u r reading this wrong

bonniesmith bonniesmith said:

$500 or less and I'm buying

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

bonniesmith said:

$500 or less and I'm buying

Agreed. I would be happy with $400 for the entry level model.

Lokalaskurar Lokalaskurar said:

Wait, the Front-Facing camera is 5MP? And the rear camera is 2MP?

Am I reading this wrong?

Yes. You are reading it wnorng It's the other way around,