Best Budget to Mainstream Graphics Cards

By on April 6, 2011, 5:49 AM
The last few months we've seen both AMD and Nvidia turn their attention to the high-end segment of the graphics market. In addition to launching their latest single-GPU flagship boards, both companies just recently launched a couple of dual-GPU beasts. We have to say it's great to see such spirited competition as it's usually customers that reap the benefits.
That's especially true today as mainstream cards are getting more and more powerful and even a $100 product is capable of far more than you may give it credit for. So, while AMD and Nvidia settle the score at the super expensive enthusiast level, we actually want to have a look at what's been happening elsewhere. We've compiled a table with some of what we consider the best options at several price points between $70 and $200. Continue reading this article.

TeamworkGuy2 said:

Nice article, I have to admit that consumers lose a lot of performance as they move down the GPU ladder. After getting my GTS 450 I look back with some regret, I should have spent the extra $50 for a GTX 460... you know what I mean.

If you have the spare funding, get a GTX 560 (Ti) 1GB or a Radeon 6950 1GB/2GB for serious gaming, you won't regret it. More horsepower than that will only be suitable for multi monitor setups. All games are being designed having the current console generation in mind anyway...

Very good article Jose, it is quite helpful.

I would like to see an article on multi-monitor configurations. I personally would like to set up a 3 or 4 monitor setup and would like to see the pro and cons on single card vs. multiple card configurations (like 2 - GTX 460s or 560s). (Nvidia has a four-port card, but it is not in their GE-Force GTX line.)

thanks again!

venomblade said:

How does the 6790 fare against the gtx 460 at the same price point?

Thanks for this info...as usual you guys rock!!

How does the 6790 fare against the gtx 460 at the same price point?

the hd-6790 murders the gtx-460 on every point....there is no competition

syntaxbreaker syntaxbreaker said:

Alright.. thanks a lot for the info. this is really great for a gaming pc

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

How does the 6790 fare against the gtx 460 at the same price point?

the hd-6790 murders the gtx-460 on every point....there is no competition

Murders the GTX460 on every point?....does that include the "same price point"?

These guys don't seem to agree...

or these guys...

or..well, I think we've established the fact that your internship at AMD still has some time to run before they make you CEO.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Hello +1 DBZ

I think if 6790 was sold at 125-130$ price point it would make lot more sense, IMO.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

I agree. At that price point it would make a compelling buy- unless you already owned a 5770 or similar.

I presume the price will drop after the initial fanboy/ill-informed customer "bigger number= better card" brigade have boosted Sapphire's (et al) coffers. I would also assume the non-Ti GTX560 would launch at the $150 price point also, so I'd pick AMD's card partners to drop their prices on the eve of the nvidia card's launch -standard spoiling tactics by both sides.

fpsgamerJR62 said:

Geographic location does affect the retail prices of these cards. In my area, prices of MSI and Power Color branded HD 6870 cards equal or at times exceed the prices of the GTX 560 Ti cards.

Leeky Leeky said:

I get more disgusted everytime I view trhe prices you pay for hardware.

Jesus, a HD6870 costing you $205, costs us $300.... Ouch!

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

@Leeky

On more 'social' aspect of this debate, don't you think having an graphic card (at least the higher end one) in your rig is a 'luxury'?

Leeky Leeky said:

Definitely, but I know how others around the world feel when we pay even more for the pleasure of having the same item.

I wouldn't consider mid range GPUs a luxury, though when your hitting the $300+ barrier and upwards it certainly becomes one.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Yup, to get anything above that level, some may need to rob a bank or something like that.

A focus on real budget cards would be welcome . cards less than £60. its not sexy or oresome enough maybe?

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

Any discrete GPU below the $60 mark is essentially not worth it versus Sandy Bridge built-in graphics, for example.