10.1" Acer Iconia Tab A500 hits Best Buy for $450

By on April 8, 2011, 7:52 AM
Acer has officially unleashed its Iconia Tab A500, a 10.1-inch tablet poised to defy the likes of Apple and Motorola. Unsurprisingly, Acer is billing its new creation as the ultimate companion device for Web browsing, accessing social networks, reading e-books, listening to music, watching videos, playing games and so on.

Like Motorola's Xoom, the Tab A500 is powered by Android 3.0 Honeycomb and a dual-core 1GHz Nvidia Tegra 250 SoC, which is quick enough for 1080p video playback and mobile gaming. In fact, Acer is shipping the slate with free copies of Need for Speed: Shift and Let's Golf installed (the former is $5 via the Android Market).

The slate carries a 1280x800 display with 80-degree viewing angles and the ability to register input from all 10 fingers. You'll also find 1GB of RAM, 16GB of internal storage (a 32GB model is in the works), a microSD card reader that can handle up to 32GB cards, a 5MP rear camera with flash and auto-focus and a 2MP front cam.

Connectivity includes Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, HDMI-out, USB and GPS. There doesn't appear to be any WWAN options mentioned in today's press release, but we have to assume 3G or 4G will be offered at a premium. The device gets roughly eight hours of gaming or video playback per charge and up to 10 hours of browsing.

The Iconia Tab A500 is a tad bulkier than competing tablets, weighing 1.69lbs and measuring 10.24 x 6.97 x 0.52 inches. Besides the aforementioned games, the device is preloaded with Acer Clear.fi to quickly share media with other DLNA-compliant devices. Support for Adobe Flash and the Android Market are a given.

Best Buy has opened preorders online today while in-store preorders will start on April 14. The device will launch on April 24. Pricing starts at $449.99 while accessories such as a full-sized Bluetooth keyboard, a dock with an IR remote, a protective case, and a power adapter set with four connectors are an extra $30 to $70.

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Well, at least Acer has a decent understanding of its target audience, and what they are willing to shell out for a tablet. The Xoom would have sold a ton more units if they'd broken into the marketplace at this kind of price point.

The specs sound pretty good, and I'm liking the battery life. The weight/bulk might be an issue, have to see how it feels in hand. Guess I'll have to go wander the halls of a local Best Buy in the near future...

Raswan Raswan said:

Agreed. Finally a price point that makes sense. Watch these things fly off the shelves. Well done Acer.

I agree with Vrmithrax that the Xoom is way too expensive. I really wanted one but will not spend that much on a tablet. Although the pricing on this one is better I think they really need to be down in $350 range for me to commit.

I wouldn't buy this at any price because it's Acer garbage but maybe it will help to drive the Xoom price down...

MrAnderson said:

This is cool. If it is as responsive as the Xoom, and the upgrade to latest Android version does not become an issue... this might be the one I want.... that is when I learn about the 32GB pricing which is the sweet spot for what I want storage wise...

MrAnderson said:

Tigerdirect Has a ViewSonic 10.1 for 299 with 16G storage... It has Android 2.2, hopefully it can upgrade easily.

[link]

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Only registers 10 fingers? Will there be a patch for people suffering from polydactylism?

Acer has a bad reputation, but I would still consider buying one of their products before I would come within 100 yards of an iPad 1, 2...n.

Apple is the equivalent of the rich, white bully who drove a Lexus to high school, captained the football team, went to Harvard and joined some corrupt Wall Street firm ferreting stolen blue collar money away to an offshore account.

Acer is totally unreliable I will never buy another Acer product because my last netbook broke the 1st week i had it and i was unable to get Acer to fix it.

Too little too late Acer. I am personally waiting for the Samsung 10.1. Thinner then ipad 2 with all the honey comb goodness.

As an Acer Ferrari 1000 owner for more then 5 years. I have to say I have never had 1 single issue with my laptop. I am currently using to post this comment. It has been back and forth from the US to Vietnam 6 times with me. I use it all the time. I can honestly say I've been very happy with this unit and would buy another one in a minute complete with voip phone. You can bet I will be inline for the new Acer tablet. That price is in the sweet zone.

Are they really $50 better than the $399 Ipad?

Yes. Dual core, dual camera, higher res screen. Much better.

*499, so they are cheaper plus its android, therefor better.

Are they really $50 better than the $399 Ipad?

1 GHz Dual Core....Android 3.0....etc...etc...etc...

Yes! They are!

I am sorry, but your comment is just pathetic.

Too late Acer. I'm waiting for Samsung 13.6. Supposedly thinner than iPad 2 and Samsung 10.1 and $18 cheaper . Ho! wait...iPad 4 might be out by the time Samsung 13.6 is out. Let me just stick with iPad 2 until the competition catches up :) Go get a life people.

What a bigoted crock of s#!t.

I remember feeling the same way until I actually opened up my mind and I love apple products now. You get what you pay for, cheapskates need not apply.

i am surpised no apple fanboys have posted comments here - has jobs blocked the ipad from displaying any news of android?

i stand corrected - here they come!

LOL...I didn't realize that so many people were desperate for a $450 android junk tablet. Do yourself a favor and get a part time job so you can afford an iPad 2 for $50 extra. Losers !!! You get what you pay for.

Don't preorder then...try it before you buy it...I owned both the Xoom and iPad2 and honeycomb is definitely the way of the future. With those half-baked improvement, iPad2 is more like iPad 1.5 and it is boring like my ipod touch. If you were an early adopter like me, you would have been bored with any iOS products already. If apple doesn't improve its OS soon, more people will jump ship like I did.

Instead of jumping ship why don't you try jumping plane. I heard that's life after Android !!!

The Viewsonic talet has a terrible screen. Only has a good picture if you hold it landscape at a very specific angle. Turn it any other way and you can't see the image on the screen. Seems like they just put in a cheap netbook screen in to that thing.

I have an Acer Aspire One, love it. Has never let me down although I did crack the screen on it when I dropped a steering column on it. Bought a new screen on line for $30 bucks, shipping, $10 bucks, installed it myself and has been going strong for the last two years. I always thought that the size of this would be great as a tablet. I'm sold.

I don't know why Apple just doesn't come out and say it. Hey we sell "Ipads to clonepods" and be done with it!

I am a certified laptop repair tech. I work on all sorts of laptops. Every make and model. I can tell you Apple users and Sony users, are all a bunch of cry babies when their units go down. You give them a repair price and they always say the same thing. " What? for $$$ I could buy a new HP or some other brand". I always say the same thing too! "If you go out and buy a BMW and it breaks down you don't have to fix it, you could buy a cheaper Mazda if you like, but hey you want the prestige that comes with driving a BMW so when they break you have to expect to pay a premium to get the car fixed. Its the same with these computers Sony parts are expensive period and you can't buy mother boards for them even from Sony they want to fleece their users personally for that service. Good luck finding anything for Apple products too!

We re talking about systems that come with a premium price tag, that are difficult to get parts for and people don't want to pay to fix, these systems offer only the slightest bit more "if any" in real functionality.

These supposed lesser products do the same things as the expensive ones when dropped, spilled on, or run over, yet their owners can get them fixed for a reasonable price or replace the unit without taking that kick in the shorts.

Go out buy a model tablet that allows you to get the functionality you want for the price you want. Because when they crash and burn as they all do eventually, you may be happy that you saved a few hundred bucks in the long run.

Apple has propagated a regular cult! ...Gotta love the herd mentality in this country! ..Ha!

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

I am sorry, but your comment is just pathetic.

I thought it was pretty funny, as it was a joke.

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

That's actually a pretty nice looking tablet. However, if the ASUS Transformer lives up to it's $399 price point, this would be a pointless purchase as the Transformer has exactly the same specs, PLUS a better IPS display, an optional keyboard dock, and ASUS' build quality reputation.

On the competitive market, Xoom was doomed from the start. You can't compete with Apple by having the same kind of ridiculous prices, must of us cannot truly afford in this bad economy. Since it's no longer what we want but what we need, a better price like $450 will make me want it. I came to realize in fact that a Tablet it's just a big android without phone capacity...unless you skype.

err, do you get 'jokes' in your country?

MrAnderson said:

Doesn't it have a front and back facig camera... that would make it at least justify the 50 bucks and the slightly higher 16:9 screen... and latest version of Android...

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I am sorry, but your comment is just pathetic.

You're so mean! Just yesterday you were friendly to me, what happened Guest, where did the love go?

10 fingers is better than 2, but I'm just thinking ahead.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

gwailo247 said:

Polydactylism, unlike smoking, can't be helped by a patch. You'll have to resort to surgery.

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

err, do you get 'jokes' in your country?

I've said it once, I'll say it again. Guests quit being guests... and take credit for what you say. hahah

Then we can either +1 you or -1 you.

IAMTHESTIG said:

i'll definitely be checking this out. Sounds like it may actually have a decent display too which is good news.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Well, "Xfinity" (Comcast) has been running national ads about how you can "change channels on your TV right from your iPad". Really how innovative! I just pick up my remote control. It seems the product was invented first, with the use for it to be designated later.

As to this new Acer, if if doesn't have an IPS panel, then it still doesn't compare to the iPad.

This observation is not coming from an Apple fanboi, but a realist with a s** TN panel in a Toshiba laptop.

Everybody wants to jump on the tablet bandwagon. I'm wondering if they're stuffing crap TN panels in these devices to beat the iPad in price point. That would be cheating.

Motorola XooM sucks for ONE reason. MOTOROLA! ! Motorola underclocks their CPUs and GPUs way too much to compensate for the cheap batteries. Ever noticed how your $200 Motorola phone seems so much more laggy and slow compared to someone else's $50 LG with comparable specs? I HAVE. and I have learned that the faster you ROOT your Motorola, the better you are. I was always "waiting" on my Backflip. Until I found out that the Backflip has a. 500Hz processor running at 122Hz all the time. The next thing it did was overlook it to 750mhz. Works great!

MY POINT. Motorola needs to quit releasing their "crappy" versions of things before everyone else. they're ruining everyone's first impressions of Android!

Amazing the contradictions people make. When the Xoom was released above the cheapest ipad2(though still cheaper than the equivalent version of ipad2) all the ifans laughed at how it costs more than an ipad2. Now that a cheaper(on all scales) honeycomb tablet comes out they go the reverse saying you get what you pay for.

How about this, if someone wants an ipad they'll get an ipad. If someone wants a honeycomb tablet they'll get a honeycomb tablet. No amount of being a total **** is going to change someone's stance to agreeing with you. If anything you turn people away from your preferred product because they don't want to be a part of a such a douche bag community.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

10 fingers is better than 2, but I'm just thinking ahead.

Well, that depends on what or who is the circumstance....

BTW, I still luv ya. (In the fraternal sense, of course).

Acer is the best as far as I'm concerned I have bought 8 of them in the last 12 months and never a hiccup!

Bought the ipad 2 and after about a week I returned it, it's just the same as the restrictive ipad one but overpriced.

- Same issues as the ipad one, I have to convert every single videos because Jobs is too stubborn to add codecs.

- Having to use iTunes for everything.. what a joke.

- No usb

- No HDMI

- No MicroSD

Why on earth would I pay more for less? Dont kid yourselves, you are getting less, you're paying for that apple logo <- That's it! Still not convinced there's other better devices beside Apple? Have fun being an Apple lemming.