Leaked: Windows 8 build 7955 video

By on April 14, 2011, 1:15 PM
The most recent Windows 8 screenshots we've posted so far were from build 7910, but now there appear to be users who have managed to acquire build 7955. Although build 7955 has not leaked to the public, there's now a video that shows a little taste of Microsoft is working on to include in Windows 7's successor. As always, we must emphasize that this is still very early in Windows 8's development, so try not to start forming your opinion on the OS just yet.

The video, courtesy of the German website WinFuture, shows many features we have already seen in leaked screenshots: a new logon screen and a new user icon menu in the taskbar. The leaked video of Windows 8 may be short (less than three minutes), but it's the first of many to come.

We reported on the first leaked Windows 8 build earlier this week but we warned our readers that it was very old and from Milestone 1. The build string is purposefully hidden in this video, but it's clear (not just from the higher number) that this is a significantly later build. Sit tight as the leaks will definitely keep coming – after all partners now have access to Windows 8 builds on Microsoft Connect – and we'll make sure to keep you in the loop.

Lurker101 said:

And so far, I am failing to be impressed, or see any reason to buy Win8, when it comes out.

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Yep. The arm tablet compatibility interests me from a development perspective. That's about it so far.

Zen Zen, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Well I gave that video a good look on that web site, and to be honest here, I'm not that impressed myself with what I saw. To me it appeared like someone was sitting on a computer just testing the "user image" files on the system, picking what image he wanted for his or her little picture. Plus if that lower taskbar is going to be stock with Windows 8, forget it, I think it's darn ugly.

So as I did when Windows 7 came out, I shall do when Windows 8 comes out, and that is "do absolutely nothing"! I am still even over a decade later, I'm still quite please with my Windows XP Professional (64bit)

Simple, streamlined, rugged, powerful, durable, no distracting "eye candy", just all about business baby!

Here you want a video, check this out, you even get Madonna singing.................."and I feel"!

Enjoy

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

And that pretty much covers logging in and out of Windows 8.

About "Windows 8 Taskbar User Picture Tile" that the video demonstrates it,

I don"t really see the point, I mean, it doesn't offer a real gain :

start menu -> control panel

user icon -> my settings

it's the same, also I set the start menu's control panel link to be a context menu, so I can access control panels directly, which I can't do with that.

Also, I don't feel like I particularly need to see my own user picture all the time, but that's me.

EXCellR8 EXCellR8, The Conservative, said:

that build some how manages to appear both stripped and intuitive at the same time... it's mind-boggling really...

Lurker101 said:

No it doesn't. It looks like Windows 7 with a few gimmicks. That is all.

Win7Dev said:

That appears to be in a virtual machine. I don't thinks its really anything special. I mean, Windows 7 is solid and could be improved upon greatly. Microsoft's stance is push through as many OS's as possible just to make more money. There really should be a Windows Vista 6.1 and no Windows 7. There also should not be a Windows 8, it should be 7 or 7.1 or 7.5. Its not worth $100 for the upgrade.

EXCellR8 EXCellR8, The Conservative, said:

No it doesn't. It looks like Windows 7 with a few gimmicks. That is all.

just like the earliest builds of 7 looked like vista with a few subtle changes?

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I too am going to pass final judgement on an OS that may be up to a year or more from being released.

Jeez, its not as if its getting released tomorrow.

I would assume that they're keeping the same stuff that made 7 work, and are going to put new stuff on top of it, and if its that special second interface we're talking about, my guess is that's going to be finalized last.

There are other companies developing OS's too, they knew very well that this stuff is going to be leaked as soon as it left their HQ, so I'm sure they're not laying all their cards out on the table.

Zzzzzzzzz Zzzzzzzzzz...

Oh! sorry, I only fall asleep ... Well, It's so boring!!! ... I think I'll search on YouTube the video of Windows XP with Madonna's song "Ray of Light" ... that's much more interesting!!!

Zen Zen, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Zzzzzzzzz Zzzzzzzzzz...

I beat you to it, to see that Windows XP you-tube video, got up about 6-7 posts, you will see it there!

Only time will tell what Windows 8 will bring. I don't think that judging the OS based on its aesthetics is necessarily a smart thing to do. I'm sure there will be a myriad of back-end changes that will give IT managers a smile. But, again, only time will tell.

Cheers!

Hey Zen, That's right, and after see it again... I'm completely convinced that there was not anything really new since then!

So, I will continue using Windows XP for a while!

I enjoy it, I saw there with Windows XP "you can" do it too...

"Yes you can"

;)

Omnislip said:

gwailo247 said:

Jeez, its not as if its getting released tomorrow.

Well, if their partners have it, it can't be too far off release...

fpsgamerJR62 said:

I reckon we'll see Windows 7 Service Pack 2 long before Microsoft releases an official preview version of Windows 8.

The user picture on the taskbar is like the button in Linux that I always remove. Hopefully it will be removable in Windows 8 as well.