Google releases stable version of Chrome 11

By on April 27, 2011, 1:46 PM
Google has released version 11 of its browser. The update brings hundreds of bug fixes as well as many features that have been available on the Chrome beta and dev channels to users interested in using Chrome's latest builds (plus, a new logo!). Chrome 11 also addresses 25 security vulnerabilities in the WebKit-based browser (a record for the company): 16 rated as High, six rated as Medium, and three rated as Low.

The new Chrome version is slightly faster and adds features such as speech input through HTML, which allows users to "talk" directly to websites. The addition of support for the HTML5 speech input API isn't too much of a big deal since few websites use it, but the search giant has made sure Google Translate is already putting it to use. If you're translating from English, you can click on the microphone on the bottom right of the input box, say whatever you want to have translated, and choose the language you want to translate to. Clicking on the Listen link will have result in the text being read out loud to you.

The latest stable build (11.0.696.57) is available now for Windows, Mac OS, and Linux. Those who currently have Chrome installed can use the built-in update function under the About Google Chrome menu item.

The release is light on new features because Google is no longer concerned about using version numbers to mark a significant development milestone. The search giant has promised to accelerate the release cycle for Chrome and push out a new stable build every six weeks. Chrome 10 was actually released just over seven weeks ago; this is the first time that Google has slipped behind in its schedule. Apparently users like these frequent releases: the browser's market share is already over 10 percent.

Inarius03 said:

"Apparently users like these frequent releases"

Or the fact that it's just a slim, fast browser.

Lokalaskurar Lokalaskurar said:

That logo sure is ugly...

But hey, Google Chrome is way OK. In fact, I think it's superb.

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

With the silent auto-updates Chrome versions are almost meaningless as pointed out in the story (not a bad thing though). This morning I was surprised to see the switch to the new logo, so I was assuming a major update had taken place which was then confirmed by this post.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Still waiting for NoScript on Chrome. Until then, I'm sticking with FireFox.

I'd really like to use Chrome more, I have it running on my secondary computer, but there are so many external sites running scripts on each site, that at this point I prefer to have a bit more control and security over my primary computer.

willard27 said:

"Hundreds of bug fixes", that's comforting.

matrix86 matrix86 said:

willard27 said:

"Hundreds of bug fixes", that's comforting.

At least they're just bug fixes and not security holes, lol.

Not a big fan of the new logo. Looks like it was made in M$ Paint.

cmbjive said:

Any way that the update will cut down on Chrome being a resource hog? Nah, that'll be asking for too much.

poertner_1274 poertner_1274, secroF laicepS topShceT, said:

I like Chrome, but I like Opera better because of their Opera Link feature. Besides I've been using Opera since the alpha days, so I guess I'm a little jaded.

Emin3nce said:

I really hate the new logo.

chrome is so fast. but it takes up too much cpu.i wish that chrome repairs it

and runs as stable as Avant brwoser.

@gwailo247: It's been around for a while, if you actually wanted to switch you would have googled for an alternative and found it. Chrome's NoScript equivalent is NotScripts: https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/odjhifogjcknibka
lpidmdajjpkkcfn

Btw, I'm a Firefox user, I just don't care for people bashing anything without reason.

nickblame said:

great stuff. now more sites can hear us without even knowing that they have access to the microphone :P

Leeky Leeky said:

I really hate the new logo.

Seconded!

I am however now a full time Chrome convert, and having had my recent issues with FF3 and 4, am happy with the browser I'm now using.