25% of users now on Windows 7

By on May 2, 2011, 10:41 AM

By the end of 2010, Windows 7 had grabbed 20 percent of the market. At the end of April 2011, Microsoft can already say that Windows 7 has passed the 25 percent mark, according to Net Applications. In other words, the latest and greatest operating system from Redmond is now installed on one in four computers.

While Windows 7 is surging in market share, Windows is slowly slipping: between March and April, it fell 0.67 percentage points (from 89.58 percent to 88.91 percent). At the same time, Mac OS gained 0.15 percentage points (from 5.25 percent to 5.40 percent) and Linux fell 0.02 percentage points (from 0.96 percent to 0.94 percent). Unsurprisingly, mobile operating systems gained share.

In the same time period, Windows 7 gained 0.94 percentage points (from 24.17 percent to 25.11 percent). Windows Vista meanwhile slipped 0.34 percentage points (from 10.56 percent to 10.22 percent) and Windows XP fell 1.21 percentage points (from 54.39 percent to 53.18 percent). It won't be long now before we see Windows Vista in single digit market share and Windows XP below the 50 percent mark.

Last month, Microsoft announced that Windows 7 had sold more than 350 million licenses in the last 18 months. This means that Microsoft is selling just fewer than 20 million licenses per month. Back to school season is coming up, followed by the holiday shopping frenzy, so that number should remain stable till 2012 at least.

If you're already on Windows 7, you should check out our guides for Microsoft's latest operating system. If you haven't upgraded to it yet, tell us why in the comments below.

Lurker101 said:

Still more than half are on XP.

Emil said:

Lurker101 said:

Still more than half are on XP.

Unfortunately.

Mark56 Mark56, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Still more than half are on XP.

Only for a few more years then Microsoft are stopping support for it.

Leeky Leeky said:

I bet even once support ends there will be still be a frankly huge volume of the worlds users using it.

Raswan Raswan said:

Leeky said:

=China

Leeky Leeky said:

Yeah, not to mention India, and the African continent.

freythman freythman said:

I service a few organizations that are still on XP just because of the cost to upgrade. (Though I wish I could convince them to shell out the cash for 7)

pcnthuziast said:

Am I a bad person for finding XP fanboys annoying?

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

Considering how good Windows 7 is im am not surprised. If it wasn't so expensive they would probably have 70%+

g4mer said:

Some people don't care about thier OS or don't even know what OS is. They won't touch it as long as it works without problems.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Xclusiveitalian said:

I don't think its expensive at all. it comes down to if you're either a person that pays for software or pirates software.

If you pay for software, its really a drop in the bucket compared to $60 games, and even more expensive app(lication)s. Even if you assume a 2 year life cycle of an OS, it comes out to be pennies a day.

If you pirate software, then it could cost $10 and you would still not pay for it.

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

gwailo247 said:

Xclusiveitalian said:

I would buy it if Professional or Ultimate was under $100, but thankfully I havent bought it, because Windows 8 is right around the corner..hopefully they make it harder to pirate.

T77 T77 said:

Leeky said:

Yeah, not to mention India, and the African continent.

With all due respect what exactly do you mean? Do you mean that we people here in the third world countries(as many people in your first world country would term it) are technologically inferior to you and are of pre-historic age?

I myself and I know many of my friends and relatives who have switched to the newer version of the OS realizing its importance.Its just that we take some time to think about what we are buying and whether it would be worth of our hard earned money.All of us here don't own a credit card and neither we have that kind of money to go out there and pre-order every damn peice of software.Sorry,if I may sound a bit harsh but there are some things that hurt and need some clarification.

And, as has been pointed out in this very publication-

[link]

there is a lack of market infrastructure(relating to software) in many developing countries.

nismo91 said:

still on vista. can't find any cheap 7 upgrades here.

anyway my guess are there are more ppl who upgrade from vista to 7 rather than xp to 7.

Leeky Leeky said:

And, as has been pointed out in this very publication-

[link]

Of course I don't mean that in an offensive manner, but with all due respect you're being as stereotypical as you "assumed" I was.

I'm simply thinking of the population of India, China, and the African continent. For example, the United Kingdom has a population of approx 62 million people. Your country for example, has a population of approx 1.15 billion people.

That in itself will count for a huge number of Windows XP users, and that is and was my point.

It is in no way offensive to suggest your country has an infrastructure that is still growing, and due to the lack of it in certain areas, the cost of upgrading is unreasonable. The same is true of Africa, which has frankly appalling infrastructure and huge digital divides within its borders.

No doubt that 99.9% of computers running Windows XP in China is pirated.

Zecias said:

Xclusiveitalian said:

not really when you compare it to other things that people buy.

lots of people have cable = $100 a month

fast internet = $50 - 100 a month

phones(land line or cell phones)= $20-60 a month

clothes = $30-100

movies = $10-15

saying windows 7 is expensive and sticking with XP is like saying the electric bills are too expensive and using candles for light and salt for refrigeration(exaggeration, but i cant think of anything else off the top of my head).

it really isn't that expensive if you compare it to other things that you buy. there are many other nonessential items that you could cut back on and save more money.

Tha General Tha General, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I love windows 7 . The only time i hated win7 is when i was gaming with old hardware or hardware that cant seem to keep up with the OS, but now that i have hardware that can handle it , i am loving it. Windows 7 rocks

taimuraly taimuraly said:

Most people don't actually buy a separate OS but rather by a branded PC with the OS installed. So until they get a new PC, they will probably remain on the same OS.

Also getting Win7 is an added expensive which people avoid as their current OS is working fine and is sufficient. But when they do decide, Win 8 would be releasing so they would rather upgrade to that instead =)

taimuraly taimuraly said:

My business is still running XP, it's too expensive upgrading to Windows 7 and the new version of MS Office. More than double price in Australia than the US yet the Aus$ is worth more than US$. Microsoft said it was due to logistic - what for a download. As a result we are now investigating alternative solutions including CLOUD services and sever our dependency on Microsoft. This is evident in the smartphone & tablet market. At home we asked the same question, why do we need Microsoft - we are now an Apple house with one Android device. for less dollars.

XP for ever !!!

T77 T77 said:

Leeky said:

And, as has been pointed out in this very publication-

[link]

I am not a stereotype and how can I myself think of my country in such a way....

Well, I just needed some clarification as to the context of the post.

Its nothing personal....

Leeky Leeky said:

@T77

I suggested you were a stereotype because you're assuming we're all super rich and just aimlessly waste money on hardware because "we" can. Suggesting we just throw it on credit cards and really don't consider what we're doing because we don't have to is a huge stereotype if ever I saw one.

You may view the Western world as being richer, but its all relative.

Saying its nothing personal doesn't really make it OK either does it?

T77 T77 said:

@Leeky

No,I don't think all people in the world are super rich.I feel majority of us are middle income group people,trying to fulfill our dreams. I never said that all the people residing in your country are uber rich.I just wanted to be on amicable terms and if you want even I can go on with these arguments till eternity,but its just that there has to be an amicable end to this.

Leeky Leeky said:

I totally agree with that.

Windows 7 is Vista Second edition while the upcoming Windows 8=Vista third edition. Full of gimmicks and fancy tricks. Aero Snap? There's a far better version in XP called Tile Horizontally or Tile Vertically that isn't limited to arranging just two windows but any number you select. There are many good useful features of XP removed and broken in Windows 7. The file manager, Windows Explorer was utterly destroyed in Vista and becomes worse in Windows 7. Poor usability. See www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_features_removed_in_Window
_7 and www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_features_removed_in_Window
_Vista . Unnecessary GUI changes. Vista was innonative but horrible usability wise and removed things. Windows 7 is Vista with few new features and again many features removed and fancy gimmicks and shiny graphics added. XP was THE BEST because it did not change the GUI and move everything around just for sake of change.

Microsoft made a classic blunder with the GUI for Windows 7. They made it completely different from XP and buried, eliminated or dumbed down most of the truly useful features. Better OS or not, they alienated all their XP customers.

XP is a classic, keep it! Windows 7 is trash.

Most consumers use whatever OS came with the machine, and don't upgrade.

When the have to buy a new PC they will then have the latest OS.

Business upgrade cycles are long. I expect to see a surge in WIN7 is the business world in 2012 and 2013.

A large company I do consulting for is about half way through the qual process for WIN 7.

I don't understand all the love for XP and hate for WIN7.

I have machines with XP, Vista, WIN7 and LINUX.

Vista is my least favorite. I love WIN7. I loaded it on an machine that came with XP (bought in 2000) and it runs faster.

Once you go Ubuntu you dont go back!

Lokalaskurar Lokalaskurar said:

Lurker101 said:

Still more than half are on XP.

Well, technically - judging from 100 people on avarage, ~88% uses Windows, and 53% of the Windows users uses XP. That makes 47% XP users in total.

So actually, 47% of computer users (according to these statistics) uses XP! Less than half

mcmurphy12 mcmurphy12 said:

Once you go Ubuntu you dont go back!

Uhmm, I did.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Too all you XP lovers, keep your OS and stay stuck in the past.

With innovation sometimes comes change. If things never change then things could never get better. For better or worse, you might as well keep up with the times.

If there is anything about the changes of Windows 7 you don't like, Windows 8 will probably be even worse for you. The longer you wait the harder it will be for you to adapt to a newer OS.

Leeky Leeky said:

Uhmm, I did.

Me too, I use Debian now!

mcmurphy12 mcmurphy12 said:

Leeky said:

Uhmm, I did.

Me too, I use Debian now!

Haha, I am trying out Fedora!

2 year life cycle for an os???? - no wonder this planet is going to hell!!!!!!!

WinXPert WinXPert said:

I use XP, don't like Vista, never had Win7. For Linux I prefer PCL and Mandriva.

I'd love to get Windows 7, but I need the full version, and just can't afford it. I'd definitely have to buy more memory and probably a new hard drive as well, if I go to Windows 7. With the economy as it is, I'm barely getting by now. Had really hoped that the cost for Windows 7 would go down by now, but no such luck.