Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 reveal trailer released

By on May 25, 2011, 7:00 AM

Activision has confirmed that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 will be released on November 8, 2011. The game will arrive on the PlayStation 3, the Xbox 360, and Windows.

A trailer has been released (embedded below), and I must say that it is very well done. I particularly like how all the countries (America, England, France, and Germany) are written with the number three (Am3rica, 3ngland, Franc3, and G3rmany). The ending is perfect: the first letter is flipped upside-down to change WW3 to MW3.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 is the newest installment in Activision Publishing's number one first person action series. It is being developed by Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer Games.

On a related note, Infinity Ward's Robert Bowling insists that Modern Warfare 3's engine is an improvement over the one used in Modern Warfare 2. Here's what he said on Twitter:

@Sebianoti We haven't gone into detail on the engine yet but we've moved beyond the MW2 engine and added a lot of cool stuff for #MW3.

Modern Warfare 3 has a lot to of expectations to live up to. Call of Duty: Black Ops, the game's predecessor, set a new record for the video game industry by selling 5.6 million copies (more than $360 million) on its first day and then broke theatrical box office, book, and video game sales records for five-day worldwide sell through in dollars (more than $650 million). In less than two months, it raked in over $1 billion in sales worldwide.

"Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 is by far the most epic Call of Duty experience yet. The teams at Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer Games have worked tirelessly to create for the Call of Duty player a scale that is unimaginable with a level of polish and creativity that will push the genre forward," said Eric Hirshberg, CEO of Activision Publishing, Inc. "The passion and energy of our developers is reflected in everything about the title. From the innovative gameplay, to the cinematic intensity, to the most advanced multiplayer ever, Modern Warfare 3 will raise the bar for this already incredible franchise."

I don't even play the Call of Duty franchise, and I'm excited. I want to see if this one will break records as well.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I just hope the PC version is good, if it has dedicated servers, more players than console versions on the multiplayer, the graphics are better than the console versions and is genuinely a good effort. I might consider buying my first COD game since the orginal MW.

P.S. COD 2 is still the best one of them all!

NeoFlux said:

In short, you want Activision's version of Battlefield 3 ?

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

NeoFlux said:

In short, you want Activision's version of Battlefield 3 ?

Pretty much damn though I can't wait for Battlefield 3! If this COD comes out actually decent and so does Battlefield, I think i'm going to have one hell of a christmas

ihaveaname said:

I know this is irrelevant to the gameplay and graphics and everything, but does the storyline of the Modern Warfare games have to be SOOO anti-Soviet (because let's face it, the Russians are being portrayed as Soviets, not modern Russians)? I'm fine with the whole good-guys-kill-bad-guys thing, but really, the storylines keep hitting me as so, well, American, with the 'forces of good'-esque soldiers with good morals killing the baddies from the non-Western countries.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

ihaveaname said:

Yep, thats pretty much COD, if you don't want that kind of story line look at... well every other FPS shooter...

j05hh j05hh said:

Doesn't look very original anymore. Same effects, same game play, nothing looks new.

ihaveaname said:

Hey, I like the game, that's why I wish it had a more likable storyline. Of course, if I didn't like the game I wouldn't bother complaining about it.

jetkami said:

COD Blacks OPs is still $60 ...why? BF2BC is $20 and a way superior game. Activision can keep their over priced games.

Arris Arris said:

Think I'll stick with Battlefield series, the squad based/class based/vehicles/destructible environment gameplay is much more fun.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Greatest graphics of all time!!...oh wait, that's Crysis 2.

ihaveaname said:

Is it anti-soviet? I thought the Russians the characters were fighting were ultra-nationalists focused on Russian expansion. And to be fair, Russia is still an expansionist nation. It's not politically favorable to do so now, but if the country got an easy opportunity to expand its borders, it would. Look at the Georgia incident. This is something more deeply rooted in Russian culture than one might think; it wasn't just the Soviets that wanted global control.

Also, launching a nuclear missile on Washington DC doesn't seem like a very moral act to me.

example1013 said:

Oh, and spoiler alert on that last comment.

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

I pre-ordered MW2 and got burned... badly. MW3 will have to be a really, REALLY good game for me to spend anything near $50 for it, let alone $60. I just wish that there weren't so many brainless CoD fanboys.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Pretty cool trailer, however it still seems pretty generic to me. And until I see a lot more, I'm not buying into MW3 reinventing itself and bringing something never before seen to the table. I'm still personally more excited about BF3, even with it likely losing in overall sales.

Emil said:

I must say that it is very well done. I particularly like how all the countries are written with the number three. The ending is perfect: the first letter is flipped upside-down to change WW3 to MW3.

Can't tell if serious.

jetkami said:

May be better on PC, but on consoles BFBC2 has its own problems, just as Black Ops does. Such as unbalanced teams, boring, slow matches (sometimes), teamwork as a requirement, etc. Black Ops and the Modern Warfare games are in no ways perfect, and they have issues themselves, but it's really apples and oranges.

example1013 said:

Oh, and I agree that Black Ops is overpriced.

tacobfm said:

Looks like same old **** they've been copying and pasting for the last 3 games.

With all that Billions they made from this franchise, one would think an upgrade to the engine is warranted, mix with a lil creativity in gameplay this time round! This trailer looks like *****.

BF3 is a definite pick for sure... after seeing this piece-O-shyte.

example1013 said:

BF3 is a definite pick for sure... after seeing this piece-O-shyte.

Yeah, BF3 looks great running on an $8000 machine with like 4 Radeon 6990s.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

ihaveaname said:

Noo, thats not what I meant, I meant if you like the game alot of shooters are trying to be COD these days, i'm pretty sure you can find a replica shooter out there with your wanted story line. Since COD is pretty much copy and pasting itself with slight tweaks each year i'm sure a better story line might happen next year anyway.

yRaz yRaz said:

example1013 said:

BF3 is a definite pick for sure... after seeing this piece-O-shyte.

Yeah, BF3 looks great running on an $8000 machine with like 4 Radeon 6990s.

The 6990s only have one crossfire connector so you can only have 2... You'll will have to settle for a $6000 machine.

But seriously, upgrade the engine. The texture and polygon count in MW2 and Blackops(even though they are different engines) is retarded low. With being the BIGGEST money maker of any game 3 years in a row I think they just MIGHT be able to spend a few million on better graphics. I guess they know people will buy it either way, after all, graphics aren't important to console gamers.

If it's $60 with $15 paid DLC I'm not touching it. They've learned they can milk everyone dry with the CoD franchise, I wont buy into it.

tonylukac said:

I went to COD: College of DuPage.

Lurker101 said:

Those are some seriously crappy, low-res textures. Well said it's a console game.

princeton princeton said:

Wow. I called Black ops a copy and paste game but it at least made new hand models and textures. This is pathetic. The cars, hands, ropes, minigun, textures and effects are all ripped straight from MW2.

Oh and that building collapsing. Newsflash IW, scripted destruction is not how you compete with the frostbite destruction. Until they make an engine from the ground up they'll always be confined to linearity, small levels and scripted events.

Oh did I mention that the small part with the boat used the same boat from mw2 and the guy in the front used the same animations price did in the MW2 boat. This is god damn pathetic.

ikesmasher said:

that trailer...was sexy.

I dont give a crap about the graphics, the gameplay looked straight out freakin INTENSE.

princeton princeton said:

red1776 said:

Greatest graphics of all time!!...oh wait, that's Crysis 2.

Obvious troll is obvious. Crysis 2 looks mediocre. Not CoD awful(seewhutididthar?) but it was pretty bad.

that trailer...was sexy.

Yah doing the recycling is pretty intense huh?

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

I saw...

Hey don't one-up my smart-assery.... I still have the bad taste of Cervat....or it might be this $12.00 Shiraz.

princeton princeton said:

red1776 said:

I saw...

Meh. I knew from the minute they announced that xbox 360 MMO(Just like the Crysis 2 demo I was universally flamed) that it would be the end of great crytek games.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

The problem is:

1) I think your correct..

2) I think the entire industry is watching Crytek/EA's little stunt to see if it will fly (port everything) and it may be the beginning of the end of Great/good/decent PC games period. Xbox and 3-D glasses, and that will be about it.

IAMTHESTIG said:

Yeah its the same as previous games... appears to be the same engine and a lot of the same models and textures. No way in hell i'm paying $50 - 60 for an "expansion pack" which is kind of what it really is.

I've never been a big fan of CoD and this isn't helping it. The games have always been the same old boring action action action, no time to think or use strategy. The same boring, linear gameplay. I prefer sandbox games... but I know most people prefer the linear, set story gameplay. Hence why they sell so many copies of this game.

Everyone is a robot.

fpsgamerJR62 said:

That's a nice action-packed trailer, like something out of a Jerry Bruckheimer / Michael Bay movie. Crappy game or not, come November 2011, I bet they'll sell another zillion copies of this latest COD sequel. For me, I treat each Call of Duty game like an interactive action movie which is the best way to enjoy this type of game. When I want the realistic military stuff, I break out my copy of ARMA 2. If you have the patience and can live the bugs and wonky AI of BI's creations such as ARMA, ARMA 2 and the coming ARMA 3, then you'll be rewarded with a game play experience that COD, in its present form, cannot give you.

princeton princeton said:

red1776 said:

The problem is:

1) I think your correct..

I'll never give up PC gaming. Someone on the EA forum made a great analogy about game development for PC/console. Check out the post.

[link]

This is completely correct. The only excuse is lack of talent in the artistic department of a studio and or laziness when it comes to texture and model work.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Princeton said:

[link]

haha! good link! I think he pretty much got it spot on

princeton princeton said:

To be honest I predict a video game market crash in the future, just like in 1983. The 1983 crash was mostly due to over saturation of poor quality rushed games resulting in a loss of consumer trust.

Now I know many of the ****** on consoles will still buy MW3 like sheep, but soon consumers are going to stop buying because games like Crysis 2 and any of the past three CoD games have left a bad taste behind.

yRaz said:

example1013 said:

BF3 is a definite pick for sure... after seeing this piece-O-shyte.

Yeah, BF3 looks great running on an $8000 machine with like 4 Radeon 6990s.

Black Ops is only a bit different than MW2, because the Black Ops engine is a modified WaW engine (which was a modified CoD 4 engine) while MW2 was a modified CoD 4 engine itself. MW3 is likely a modded MW2 engine, so now we've basically got 2 CoD 4 engine mods, one for Treyarch and one for IW.

Also, I'm not going to say anything about Black Ops' poly count. If anything, it should've been lower, because that game breaks to sub-30 FPS on a console with just a napalm strike. Honestly the Black Ops engine isn't all that great since it can't even handle the multiplayer (nevermind the awful netcode) on a console.

MW3 looks like the engine will be different, but I think they've been working on physics modifications, rather than graphical ones. Which I'm fine with, to be honest. Looking pretty is great, but I don't require it as long as the game looks decent. And honestly, I'd rather just have it be really playable, which Black Ops is not.

Unfortunately most people who play MW3 won't even be able to take advantage of better textures and higher polys, because PC gaming is starting to become sort of a niche due to the barrier of entry that is the cost of purchasing a gaming rig. It's why they don't put Crysis graphics in CoD games--no one's going to see them!

Honestly, though, the whole thing is going to need a new engine soon. The entire MW line of games is running on essentially Quake 3 right now, and it'll only last for so much longer.

cmbjive said:

This is the first time where I am more excited to play a Battlefield game than a Modern Warfare game. Battlefield 3 seems more realistic and dramatic than the new MW3. I hope the new MW team is up to the task, but I can at least say graphically Battlefield 3 has this game whipped.

cmbjive said:

How can you say that when you haven't seen a single frame of battlefield 3 on a realistic machine?

I'm not arguing that BF3 won't likely have amazing graphics, since it's likely going to be PC-optimized (also MW has shit textures regardless of anything else), but we still haven't gotten to see what it looks like on even a top-range gaming PC. The gameplay footage has been recorded on a $6000 workstation, which nobody here has, I'd imagine.

princeton princeton said:

cmbjive said:

The debut trailer was running on a GTX 580 paired with an i7.

cmbjive said:

cmbjive said:

I know this is primarily a PC board, but I was referring to the console versions, but I think PC-wise the comparison still holds. When Game Informer had their exclusive first look at Battlefield 3 I was thoroughly impressed and those were still pictures. When I saw the "Faultline" trailer, I knew the pictures didn't do the game justice. The lighting, poly count, and frame-rate is impressive. Compared to the "Reveal" MW3 trailer, Battlefield 3 is years ahead. Also, as Princeton said, the Battlefield 3 was demoed on a capable PC. At the beginning of the "Faultline" trailer it states it is actual in-game footage.

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

it all comes down to money and thats all iw wants it is just plain sad i loved the First MW game but have not liked the following game in the franchise.

example1013 said:

There must be a BF3 trailer I didn't see.

princeton princeton said:

example1013 said:

There must be a BF3 trailer I didn't see.

All the fault line ones are on a 580...

PC gamers are always trash talking console gamers. It just goes to show how big their self esteem is.

First of all whoever said Crysis 2 graphics were good, they suck in comparison to previous Crysis games. The game was an obvious port from console to PC which completely ruined the graphics. Graphics really shouldn't be in discussion anyways, we're taking about console games from 5 year old consoles running 5 year old hardware.

Do you still have the same laptop from 5 years ago? Why would you have the same gaming platform? Technology gets updated, unless you're a console gamer.

example1013 said:

To be fair, console technology gets updated too. Console updates happen much less frequency, and for a much lower premium.

ikesmasher said:

princeton said:

red1776 said:

Greatest graphics of all time!!...oh wait, that's Crysis 2.

that trailer...was sexy.

Yah doing the recycling is pretty intense huh?

i have to watch this 20 times to even notice anything that is the same.

Splinter said:

No dedicated servers = No Sale

If they omit dedicated servers I will not buy this game, just like I skipped MW2.

You PC Gamers out there do NOT purchase a game without dedicated servers period.

princeton princeton said:

i have to watch this 20 times to even notice anything that is the same.

Then you have bad eyes and you should probably have them examined. Look at the hands for ****s sake. Literally at the beginning of the video you already see recycled textures and models.

u guys dont know what u r talking about