Apple acknowledges Mac Defender malware, offers help

By on May 25, 2011, 9:00 AM

Apple computers are often touted to offer a virus-free computing experience, as opposed to Windows, but as the platform increases in popularity it is also becoming a more serious target for attackers. One recent case involved a piece of 'scareware' dubbed Mac Defender, and became notorious for Apple's initial reluctance to help affected customers, despite receiving thousands of tech support calls related to the infections.

The scam in question targets Mac users via SEO poisoning attacks linked to a phony online antivirus scanner, which dupes users into thinking their machine is infected and automatically starts downloading an antivirus 'solution.' The design and content of Mac Defender makes it seem like a genuine antivirus program. However, once installed it will report that it has found other viruses and offer to clean the computer after a credit card payment is done.

Interestingly enough, Apple had apparently instructed its AppleCare and retail staff not to even acknowledge Mac Defender's existence, or help remove it from users' infected computers. ZDNet's Ed Bott posted a document with instructions that Apple's support personnel supposedly received regarding this issue, which was corroborated by two anonymous Apple support representatives who were surprised with how the company was dealing with the issue.

It's unclear how widespread the issue really is or why the company was downright preventing support personnel from helping customers -- beyond suggesting users that they research antivirus alternatives on their own.

Now, however, the company has apparently had a change of heart and posted a support article on its website explaining "How to avoid or remove Mac Defender malware" -- which basically boils down to directions on quitting the offending app and deleting it from the Utilities folder it is installed into by default. Apple also promised to issue a software update soon that will automatically hunt out and remove Mac Defender and its variants.




User Comments: 48

Got something to say? Post a comment
example1013 said:

It's bad that this is going around, and that Apple was basically lights-out on the issue, but to know that removing it is as easy as deleting the application? Damn, I wish it were that easy to find and remove malware on Windows. Hopefully this will help push for tighter security, though.

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

example1013 said:

It's bad that this is going around, and that Apple was basically lights-out on the issue, but to know that removing it is as easy as deleting the application? Damn, I wish it were that easy to find and remove malware on Windows. Hopefully this will help push for tighter security, though.

It's that easy because Macs have ZERO anti-virus protection from Apple. There's no need to get sneaky with your malware until you have to. Besides, how many Mac users do you think even know how to kill a process? Heck, how many know what that even means!?

mario mario, Ex-TS Developer, said:

This Mac Defender 'virus' is just a trojan that any kid with some coding experience could write. There's no system infalible to a naive person.

To "get infected" you have to navigate into some malicious site, notice that the file was downloaded behind your back to you downloads folder, open your downloads folder and notice this unknown file. Mount this unknown disk image called 'Mac Defender' and then run an installer included in it that after some steps asks for your administrator password. And voila you're infected.

This kind of "malware" have long been available in OS X, I remember similar stories going back to 2004. And they've never been widespread, the only place where they get widespread is in the media that loves getting these kind of headlines.

example1013 said:

wagan8r said:

It's that easy because Macs have ZERO anti-virus protection from Apple. There's no need to get sneaky with your malware until you have to. Besides, how many Mac users do you think even know how to kill a process? Heck, how many know what that even means!?

I mean, it's really simple stuff. Like, it's basically the same as Task Manager as far as I can tell.

Also, as Mario stated, it asks for an administrator password, because OSX has been using what's essentially UAC for close to 10 years now, as an added layer of protection. So you really have to be stupid to actually get infected anyways, although I didn't address that point in my first post because I realize that there will, inevitably, be people who are that stupid. It's how anti-virus companies make their money (at least on macs).

marinkvasina marinkvasina said:

marioestrada said:

This Mac Defender 'virus' is just a trojan that any kid with some coding experience could write. There's no system infalible to a naive person.

To "get infected" you have to navigate into some malicious site, notice that the file was downloaded behind your back to you downloads folder, open your downloads folder and notice this unknown file. Mount this unknown disk image called 'Mac Defender' and then run an installer included in it that after some steps asks for your administrator password. And voila you're infected.

This kind of "malware" have long been available in OS X, I remember similar stories going back to 2004. And they've never been widespread, the only place where they get widespread is in the media that loves getting these kind of headlines.

Your an *****, if anyone can write it... make one

jetkami said:

"It's unclear how widespread the issue really is or why the company was downright preventing support personnel from helping customers -- beyond suggesting users that they research antivirus alternatives on their own."

Ah hahaha cough* cough* ...Ah hahahaha* tears rolling down cheaks, on the floor holding piss in.

Saturday said:

While it is unfortunate that Apple decided to handle it this way, it's even more surprising that it's this big of an issue. Nothing on a Mac can be run without the users permission. For an app to be installed it has to be mounted, and dropped into the Applications folder. From there you have to run it. Somewhere in there you most likely had to type in your password. The reason Macs don't get viruses is because they can't be installed without user help. So basically...like marioestrada said.

This problem exists because Apple has created a large following of NON tech savvy people who are two stupid to NOT install Mac Defender. The other chunk of users know better.

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

marinkvasina said:

Your an *****, if anyone can write it... make one

Wait, you WANT him to write a trojan??

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

It's that easy because Macs have ZERO anti-virus protection from Apple. There's no need to get sneaky with your malware until you have to. Besides, how many Mac users do you think even know how to kill a process? Heck, how many know what that even means!?

Thats not entirely true, there is some form of protection, presumably what is going to be updated in the software update.

I'm sure there are a lot of people that don't know how to kill a process. Probably a lot that don't know how to do it in Windows too. The number is probably higher in OS X, but that may just be because in OS X and prior Mac OS versions it seems (in my experience) if a program is going to crash, it closes on its own a lot more often than it hangs. In Windows, they seem to hang more than just go away, so people are more familiar with ctrl-alt-del or ctrl-shift-esc to get a program to close.

To the guy saying if its easy write one. I'm no programmer, but it seems to me to be as simple as creating an app, giving an intro and install screen with enough wording to convince someone to install. Then when they run the program throw up a scan button (maybe even let them choose what path to scan), then a few screens of updating progress. A screen after that saying you are infected with something and say this is just trial software, for removal please purchase the full version by entering a form of payment. It doesn't seem to be a modern marvel of coding to create these types of malware.

example1013 said:

saturday said:

While it is unfortunate that Apple decided to handle it this way, it's even more surprising that it's this big of an issue. Nothing on a Mac can be run without the users permission. For an app to be installed it has to be mounted, and dropped into the Applications folder. From there you have to run it. Somewhere in there you most likely had to type in your password. The reason Macs don't get viruses is because they can't be installed without user help. So basically...like marioestrada said.

This problem exists because Apple has created a large following of NON tech savvy people who are two stupid to NOT install Mac Defender. The other chunk of users know better.

Millions of people own Apple computers. "Thousands" were infected. That seems extremely small-scale for an infection. Even assuming 100,000 people were infected, that's still not even as big as some of the larger botnets out there, nevermind the number of people who get infected daily with Trojans, keyloggers, and everything else every day with WIndows.

In other words, this isn't widespread at all, and people are making a mountain out of a molehill. Yeah, nice to know that Macs have a way to be infected. Millions of people also fall for Nigerian Prince scams, and that's not even restricted to computers, nevermind OSes.

mario mario, Ex-TS Developer, said:

@marinkvasina I don't write malware, but you can find my open source code on GitHub . And read @SNGX1275's comment he basically described how you could write on and he has no programming knowledge. This MACDefender trojan doesn't even harm your data it will only open a webpage and ask for your credit card information. Anyway you might see it this is not state of the art malware.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

haha! this is funny, Apple not only is releasing an update but helping users with a virus?! whats going on Apple!

Also to everyone who is saying "but a UAC style thing pops up..." "they have been doing that for 10 years now..."

When windows introduced UAC in Vista it was one of the most hated things ever! everyone just clicks contimue, same in Windows 7.

Now if Macs have been doing that for 10 years now? I pretty sure people just click "continue".

Anyway I don't really care, I don't own a Mac and don't ever plan to, I have an iPhone 3GS, as long as that doesn't start getting a stupid UAC typ thing, i'm happy

Guest said:

I work for a large hospital on the helpdesk. All of the doctors have macs and constantly have issues access our remote citrix applications. We are primarily a Windows shop and have limited support for Macs. If you are doing a lot of video editing or photoshop, fine, pay 4 times more for your Computer. Their main reason for getting Macs is because there are no viruses. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there are more security vulnerabilities in OSX than there are in Windows. They are just not exploited because why would you write a virus that affects 10 million Macs when you could for 100's of millions of PCs. I actually purchased a Mac mini, so I could support my customers better. I primarily use it for a media center PC, and it locks up and crashes way more than my PC.

I DON'T GET THE OBSESSION WITH MACS!!!!!!

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Because as has been said, viruses, malware etc.... is in a much larger scale widespread accross the internet for Window's rather then OSX.

Cota Cota said:

marinkvasina said:

Your an *****, if anyone can write it... make one

I dont think you understand how easy is to make viruses... im a Mac hater so let me give you a 1 line MS. Windows virus i "made" to skip design class.

private void Form1_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)

{

Application.Restart();

}

Of course this command was banned from working, you can compile the app but it wont stuck the OS now, Mac OS doesnt have viruses because its not a big market to infect people and steal info, however yet we have this post

Staff
Jos Jos said:

@marioestrada as you point out it's not a sophisticated malware by any means and it's true that these stories are often blown out of proportion -- which is why I noted that it's unclear how widespread this issue really is. What caught my attention, however, is why would Apple go out of its way to explicitly prohibit their support staff from taking any action that could help customers with Mac Defender related problems. Here's an extract from the alleged leaked document posted by ZDNet:

- You cannot show the customer how to force quit Safari on a Mac Defender call

- You cannot show the customer how to remove from the Login items.

- You cannot show the customer how to stop the process of Mac Defender in their Activity Monitor.

- You cannot refer the customer to ANY forums or discussions [sic] boards for resolution (this includes the Apple.com forums)

colinf said:

Jos said:

@marioestrada as you point out it's not a sophisticated malware by any means and it's true that these stories are often blown out of proportion -- which is why I noted that it's unclear how widespread this issue really is. What caught my attention, however, is why would Apple go out of its way to explicitly prohibit their support staff from taking any action that could help customers with Mac Defender related problems. Here's an extract from the alleged leaked document posted by ZDNet:

- You cannot show the customer how to force quit Safari on a Mac Defender call

- You cannot show the customer how to remove from the Login items.

- You cannot show the customer how to stop the process of Mac Defender in their Activity Monitor.

- You cannot refer the customer to ANY forums or discussions [sic] boards for resolution (this includes the Apple.com forums)

exactly...why did Apple deny its existence and order employees not to help

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

exactly...why did Apple deny its existence and order employees not to help
Why exactly does Apple do anything? Because it came to Steve Jobs in a vision.

Guest said:

Guest writes: "I actually purchased a Mac mini, so I could support my customers better. I primarily use it for a media center PC, and it locks up and crashes way more than my PC. "

Maybe you have a dud but I would diagnose PEBCAK. It is absolutely rare (to the point I don't even remember) that I have had to powercycle my mac in the 4 years I've owned it. Software Update works a dream - use it.

I would like to say the same thing about my PC but that would be dishonest. Though Windows 7 has improved it, they are not even on the same planet in terms of pain vs gain.

Macs tend to attract better quality human beings for a number of reasons (and no I'm not talking about price as that is simply a natural result of higher quality). This is the primary reason there are so few virii on the Mac.

you never see quality brand beer empties discarded on the side of the road

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Wax on......Wax off... Actually I think there's a lot more waxing off going on here......But judge for yourselves...

Guest writes: "I actually purchased a Mac mini, so I could support my customers better. I primarily use it for a media center PC, and it locks up and crashes way more than my PC. "

Maybe you have a dud but I would diagnose PEBCAK. It is absolutely rare (to the point I don't even remember) that I have had to powercycle my mac in the 4 years I've owned it. Software Update works a dream - use it.

I would like to say the same thing about my PC but that would be dishonest. Though Windows 7 has improved it, they are not even on the same planet in terms of pain vs gain.

Macs tend to attract better quality human beings for a number of reasons (and no I'm not talking about price as that is simply a natural result of higher quality). This is the primary reason there are so few virii on the Mac.

you never see quality brand beer empties discarded on the side of the road

You da man....!

Although, "viruses" is the commonly accepted English plural form of, "virus".

It's not. "virii", which is a vulgar slang form, commonly used by ill bred Apple trolls because they think it makes them appear somehow more "sophisticated".

Now be a good little "App-Holian", run along and wax your Mac-Mini........Oh, and before I forget.... hooray for you...

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Wax on......Wax off... Actually I think there's a lot more waxing off going on here......But judge for yourselves...You da man....!

Although, "viruses" is the commonly accepted English plural form of, "virus".

It's not. "virii", which is commonly used by ill bred Apple trolls because they think it makes them appear somehow more "sophisticated".

Now be a good little troll, run along and wax your Mac-Mini........Oh, and before I forget.... hooray for you...

Of course...of course...one hates to receive several Virii unto thine Mac.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Of course...of course...one hates to receive several Virii unto thine Mac.

Mac-Mini......Mac-Mini.....Mac-Mini....Mac-Mini...Mac-Mini..
ac-Mini.Mac-Mini......Ooooo, Ahhhhh..

"My eyes are bulgin' boss"......

mario mario, Ex-TS Developer, said:

2011, 2 almost harmless trojans and every media is going nuts on this stories. Let's see what "security experts" have been saying for almost 10 years.

2003

"The truth is that the Mac OS is just as vulnerable as Microsoft Windows."?Lance Ulanoff, Security, IT Hub.

2004

"Windows is more secure than you think, and Mac OS X is worse than you ever imagined."?Matthew Broersma, Techworld.

2005

"The naming of Apple's Mac OS X to the list of latest warning from security experts to users that Apple's operating system is not immune to threats."?Robert Lemos, Security Focus

"Attacks on Apple's OS X operating system, thought by many who use the Mac to be virtually immune from hackers, are on the rise, according to a report from Symantec, an anti-virus software vendor."?Wired.

2006

"Several security researchers have predicted that 2006 will be the year Mac OS X loses its image as a "safe" operating system."?Matthew Broersma, Techworld.

"Anti-virus software firm McAfee has identified Mac OS X as a growing target for malware attacks."?John Leyden, The Register.

2007

"There will be a significant rise in virus attacks on both the Mac and open-source platforms, according to renowned security expert, Eugene Kaspersky."?Barry Collins, PC Pro.

"After years of relative safety in obscurity, the Apple Mac is becoming an increasingly tempting target for malicious computer hackers, according to a new report published this week."?Kevin Allison, Financial Times.

The reality is that the era of serene isolation is ending, partly because of technical changes that increase a Mac's vulnerability to infected documents-and even programs?originally created on a PC."?James Fallow, The Atlantic.

2008

"With Apple's market share now around 8.5 percent and growing quickly, with sales of almost 2.5 million last quarter these Mac newbies are a tempting target for profit-minded cybercriminals."?Dwight Silverman, Chron.com.

"Macintosh computers have been gaining market share and catching the interest of hackers, according to Zero Day Initiative (ZDI) security vulnerability analyst Cameron Hotchkies."?Glenn Chapman, Yahoo.

2009

"For years, Apple fans have claimed that Macs are invulnerable to attack, while belittling Windows as being full of security holes. Now the tables are turned."?Preston Gralla, Computerworld.

"According to a new article by CNN, Mac users now have something to worry about when it comes to security. Mac computers are known for their near immunity to malicious computer programs that plague PC?s."?Shawn Moniz, Shawn's Technology spot.

2010

"Mac and iPhone users may think they are immune from viruses and malware, however as the operating system becomes more popular more cybercriminals will be attracted to this growing base," warned Symantec's product development director, Con Mallon." ?Jonny Evans, Computerworld.

mario mario, Ex-TS Developer, said:

Blaming the OS for this attacks would be like blaming Microsoft for people being scammed by a nigerian prince because they got an email through Hotmail.

Apple will remove and protect against this MacDefender/MacGuard threat in their next update, but really all they are doing is putting a stop on all this ill generated press. Because this program is just attacking people's innocence or naivety.

Guest said:

Well spit it out

Guest said:

The principal vector for unwanted OS infections is synonymous to the living world.

It is not that the Apple OS is any less vulnerable but that it's users are generally more refined and don't stick there noses where they don't belong. The media is the message.

Garbage In, Garbage Out.

It's nigh impossible to catch a virus if your not associating with the infected.

Think about it a little longer before you react. Drop the bias. I'm a PC - I'm a Mac.

A quip is not akin to wisdom. Wisdom does not take sides.

Funny that we expect things to get better but not change ourselves.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

It is not that the Apple OS is any less vulnerable but that it's users are generally more refined and don't stick there noses where they don't belong. The media is the message.

The best way of convincing others that you're "more refined", is to constantly reiterate that "fact", anywhere you have the opportunity. Repetition is also the most prevalent form of propaganda. Coincidence? I think not.

Garbage In, Garbage Out.
OK. this isn't being passed off as a news story is it? Because that saw has been around since before the Commodore 64!

A quip is not akin to wisdom. Wisdom does not take sides.
Neither does random pseudointellectual blather pass for insight.

Funny that we expect things to get better but not change ourselves.
You absolutely have a valid point there!

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

exactly...why did Apple deny its existence and order employees not to help

I think its far less malicious than you are making it out to be. Apple's customer service deals with problems specific to Apple hardware and software, its probably in their tech support policy that they can't help out with 3rd party stuff. Its not Apple's problem that something you installed isn't working correctly or is causing harm. The message that was "leaked" was likely just sent out to further emphasize it is against policy to handle things outside of problems specifically related to Apple software or hardware.

Guest said:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guest

It is not that the Apple OS is any less vulnerable but that it's users are generally more refined and don't stick there noses where they don't belong. The media is the message.

Quote:

Originally Posted by captaincranky

The best way of convincing others that you're "more refined", is to constantly reiterate that "fact:...

I'm a PC user mainly and would be a daddy many times over if it was not wearing a very good condom ;)

However, though a generalization, a spade is a spade. The average Apple fanatic spends much less time perusing porn, siphoning off pirated software and surfing nefarious sites than Joe PC. If Apple holds to its cards while becoming equally saturated in the industry as Windows, we will have a different world. Note that I didn't say better.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Originally Posted by Guest

A quip is not akin to wisdom. Wisdom does not take sides.

I think you are confusing wisdom with neutrality.

wisdom does take a side....the one it believes in .

Definition of WISDOM

1

a : accumulated philosophic or scientific learning : knowledge

b : ability to discern inner qualities and relationships : insight

c : good sense : judgment

d : generally accepted belief <challenges what has become accepted wisdom among many historians --- Robert Darnton>

2

: a wise attitude, belief, or course of action

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

However, though a generalization, a spade is a spade. The average Apple fanatic spends much less time perusing porn, siphoning off pirated software and surfing nefarious sites than Joe PC. If Apple holds to its cards while becoming equally saturated in the industry as Windows, we will have a different world. Note that I didn't say better.
It is fair to say that money acts as a social filter, as it has for thousands of years.

As to whether being a "goody two shoes" goes hand in hand with Apple ownership, there's probably some truth in that.

The odd thing about that is, I belonged to a forum dealing with Adobe Photoshop Elements, and those clowns we're constantly reciting the Apple mantra about they just had, or were going to, buy an Apple computer, so that, "they didn't have to deal with viruses". "No more viruses, I just bought an Apple".

No, they weren't involved with any of the behaviours you've associated with "Joe PC". They were just abominably stupid about all things computer. But still, they really thought they were better than PC owners.

When you break down the demographics of PC users, I would be very surprised if the young jitterbugs were't the ones, pirating all the games, downloading most of the movies and music, and accordingly, contracting all the malware. With that said, how many current games or torrent software are available for the Mac. (No I don't intend to research that myself, I don't really care. A rhetorical question perhaps),

As to porn, reputable subscription porn, (or "art photography" sites, if you will), are as safe to click on, as shopping at Newegg.

As top the people contracting malware through social networking sites, or any of the avenues both you and I have discussed, I have zero sympathy. Nada, nil, zip, zilch, et al.

I figure it like this, "you made your bed, now reformat it"!

Zen Zen, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Hmmmmm?

Macs tend to attract better quality human beings for a number of reasons!

Well I think this is the boldest statement that I've seen in quite some time! This sounds like "profiling" or "inventory" taking to me! So in other words the mass majority of people who choose IBM compatible machines, the type that host Windows Operating Systems are or the "less quality of human being variety" than people who choose Apple computers? Also what about people who might choose an IBM compatible machine but opt to run a non Microsoft operating system, say Linux, are they also of the "less quality of human being variety"?

I don't know how fair that little statement of yours was! I know a lot of " high quality of human beings" that opt to run IBM compatible machines, some being doctors and attorney's and the like! Heck my own Mother has a Masters Degree and is a M.D., who also owns with three other partners their own medical establishment, which I just happen to be the I.T. Manager of. That establishment only runs on IBM compatible machine environment and all systems are running Microsoft Windows XP Professional (64bit), is everyone there of the "lesser quality of human being variety"?

I know Apple is expensive and the quality of most Apple products is high, but not everyone who chooses an Apple product is of the "high quality of human being variety". Through out my travels I've seen some questionable and shady characters who choose Apple or OS-X or Mac products, the type of people I didn't want to stick around and get to know!

I'm done now, I will get off my soap box, it's just that comment just rubbed me the wrong way!

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Macs tend to attract better quality human beings for a number of reasons (and no I'm not talking about price as that is simply a natural result of higher quality). This is the primary reason there are so few virii on the Mac.

Well I think this is the boldest statement that I've seen in quite some time!

I would have gone with "trolliest". That's why we have "guest" posting, to lure self involved windbags like this out from under their rocks, so we can ridicule them. What fun would this forum be without the occasional drive by itinerant troll / expert's "valuable opinion"?

So what if you need a respirator and a gallon of bleach to clean up after them?

Zecias said:

Guest said:

Guest writes: "I actually purchased a Mac mini, so I could support my customers better. I primarily use it for a media center PC, and it locks up and crashes way more than my PC. "

Maybe you have a dud but I would diagnose PEBCAK. It is absolutely rare (to the point I don't even remember) that I have had to powercycle my mac in the 4 years I've owned it. Software Update works a dream - use it.

I would like to say the same thing about my PC but that would be dishonest. Though Windows 7 has improved it, they are not even on the same planet in terms of pain vs gain.

Macs tend to attract better quality human beings for a number of reasons (and no I'm not talking about price as that is simply a natural result of higher quality). This is the primary reason there are so few virii on the Mac.

you never see quality brand beer empties discarded on the side of the road

better quality human beings? better quality human beings like buying overpriced hardware/software?

People who buy apple computers usually buy them because they are aesthetically pleasing or they windows computers are too complex for them. They don't look at macs from a technical standpoint, not that its such a bad thing(not everyone has the time to become educated with computers).

Macs tend to attract better quality humans ===> using logic, if they attract better quality humans then the mac using population is just better in general correct? you're saying that people using apple product are "better" than the rest of us?.... you're no better than a racist. using a superficial quality like skin color(or in this case computer brand) to judge people. how nice.

if you have a brain in your thick skull, please use it. if you were a hacker and you were paid for each computer you could hack into, would you hack the windows population, accounting for 85% of people using computers, or the mac popluation, accounting for 8% of people using computers? Thats why there are more viruses on pcs than on macs.

Guest said:

Naturally it will rub some PC users the wrong way when someone makes a statement about better quality human beings choosing Apple. No one likes to feel like they've got the short end of the stick.

Ironically, one has to post as Guest to make certain kinds of comments due to the innate reactionary thoughtless aggressiveness prevalent in the kind of (lesser quality) beings that haunt mostly-PC forums and blogs.

While everybody with 5 reasonably working senses etc. will have relatively the same potential in this life, it would be utter stupidity to assume that potential is equitably being realized. Potentiating depends on many many factors. Any ignorances (including Racism) in ones environment will effect this negatively - and, overall, there doesn't seem to be any sign of these kind of influences diminishing in the near future.

One's choices can and do reflect on one's current qualities.

It has been demonstrated that Apple tends to be favored by professionals and artists. The kind of people that aren't particularly interested in or have time for questionable pursuits.

And it is mainly for this reason that Macs will likely always be a relatively minor vector for OS related diseases as long as they maintain the perception of quality and the price tag to match.

* Zen, Windows machines aren't referred to as IBM compatibles anymore.

* Cranky, the best definition for wisdom is "as it is", feel free to discard the rest. And we both know the "Troll-Alarm" is mostly a tool used by the majority to suppress the minority.

* Zecias, take a chill pill and read this post clearly and slowly. Theoretically, Macs would make an excellent target due to the perceived greater average wealth of the typical Mac owner. However, due in a big part to the above explanation, they are difficult to infect.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Naturally it will rub some PC users the wrong way when someone makes a statement about better quality human beings choosing Apple. No one likes to feel like they've got the short end of the stick.

Ironically, one has to post as Guest to make certain kinds of comments due to the innate reactionary thoughtless aggressiveness prevalent in the kind of (lesser quality) beings that haunt mostly-PC forums and blogs.

While everybody with 5 reasonably working senses etc. will have relatively the same potential in this life, it would be utter stupidity to assume that potential is equitably being realized. Potentiating depends on many many factors. Any ignorances (including Racism) in ones environment will effect this negatively - and, overall, there doesn't seem to be any sign of these kind of influences diminishing in the near future.

One's choices can and do reflect on one's current qualities.

It has been demonstrated that Apple tends to be favored by professionals and artists. The kind of people that aren't particularly interested in or have time for questionable pursuits.

And it is mainly for this reason that Macs will likely always be a relatively minor vector for OS related diseases as long as they maintain the perception of quality and the price tag to match.

* Zen, Windows machines aren't referred to as IBM compatibles anymore.

* Cranky, the best definition for wisdom is "as it is", feel free to discard the rest. And we both know the "Troll-Alarm" is mostly a tool used by the majority to suppress the minority.

* Zecias, take a chill pill and read this post clearly and slowly. Theoretically, Macs would make an excellent target due to the perceived greater average wealth of the typical Mac owner. However, due in a big part to the above explanation, they are difficult to infect.

Oddly this seems like another of "Whoaman's" bouts with verbal diaharrea.

It has that certain endless, rambling, pointlessness to it.

Guest said:

The Crank has been reduced by the guest to feeble-minded retorts. It is Mr.Guest to you Captain.

Zen Zen, TechSpot Paladin, said:

* Zen, Windows machines aren't referred to as IBM compatibles anymore.

Well excuse the flying flip out of me for referring to something in an ((old school)) way! This is just strange and odd, because I attend many computer support and network support conferences around my state and some around the nation and most of the people in my industry that I talk to still refer to computers by their ((old school)) designations.

About 80% of people at computer events still use the term "IBM compatible" when talking about boxes that support and have Microsoft Operating Systems on them. Funny that the term "IBM compatible" is brought up when also referring to boxes that support and have a Linux distro on them. It only seems to be Apple, when discussed at these events that has any sort of fancy designation added onto them. Weird that most in my industry that I come in contact with, refer to Apple as just the "aesthetic" machines!

Well I guess for saying "IBM compatible" I should just march my a** into my bathroom and wash my mouth out with soap!

Yeah right!

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

It is Mr.Guest to you Captain.
No, it's actually expletive deleted, by any standard of nomenclature. Not even Mr Expletive deleted. Just "troll", si usted prefiere. There's not a chance in hell you'll ever rate Mr.

The Crank has been reduced by the guest to feeble-minded retorts.
Actually, I don't exactly where you summon the hubris to designate anything. "Freeble minded" isn't "feeble minded" just because you say it is. You're not that important, only suffering from the delusion of self importantance. My feeling is you should probably go back to examining what kinds of beer cans are being thrown at the side of the road, and try to build a philosophy around it. Oh wait, you've been there, done that, then posted to tell us how much you've learned about "life, the universe, Apple computers, and everything" from it! To wit;
you never see quality brand beer empties discarded on the side of the road

IMHO, you're wasting you're time here. A windbag of your stature should be out writing his autobiography. I'll kick in with a title for you, no royalties attached. Um, how about, "How LSD turned me into the s***house philosopher I am today". No need to thank me, just use it with pride.

To get back on topic, "hey, how about that malware that infects Apple computers"! Things are looking up.

Guest said:

The wind has become rather Central U.S. I'd say.

That's ok Zen, we know what you meant. Wintel is more typical at the moment since IBM has more or less withdrawn from personal computer sales for some time now.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Originally Posted by Guest:

Macs tend to attract better quality human beings for a number of reasons!

Apple understands consumers are stupid and that advertising can brain-wash them, that's what they understand. Case in point, look at the new Macbook Air's that run Intel Core2Duo processors that came out in 2008. A $1599 laptop with almost a 3 year old CPU... It's revolutionary! ....... Scott Young.

Enough said isn't it

Guest said:

And yet still no one has managed to best a Macbook Air at anywhere near Apple's price point.

:P

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

And yet still no one has managed to best a Macbook Air at anywhere near Apple's price point.

:P

Right, wait til you try and get one fixed, with the proprietary flash SSD soldered to the main board. I'd like to see what any old repairs do to the overall "price point".

How does Apple get away with completely ignoring universal PnP? Apple is #1 in customer satisfaction with service. I guess enough of their crap breaks to keep them in practice.

But there's this; if you can afford good beer, and be sophisticated enough to not throw the empties on the side of the road, you should be sophisticated enough to shut up and pay up, when they hand you the repair bill.

Guest said:

mmmm....good beer :)

tw0rld tw0rld said:

captaincranky said:

Wax on......Wax off... Actually I think there's a lot more waxing off going on here......But judge for yourselves...You da man....!

Although, "viruses" is the commonly accepted English plural form of, "virus".

It's not. "virii", which is a vulgar slang form, commonly used by ill bred Apple trolls because they think it makes them appear somehow more "sophisticated".

Now be a good little "App-Holian", run along and wax your Mac-Mini........Oh, and before I forget.... hooray for you...

How dare you talk to a better quality human being in that manner? As a matter of fact, how dare you even respond to such a one? You are not worthy!

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

How dare you talk to a better quality human being in that manner? As a matter of fact, how dare you even respond to such a one? You are not worthy!

I tried to tell him.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

How dare you talk to a better quality human being in that manner? As a matter of fact, how dare you even respond to such a one? You are not worthy!
I jes don't beez havin no goot up draggin'.
I tried to tell him.
Oh, pound sand, you tried to put me up to it....

aj_the_kidd said:

Guest said:

I DON'T GET THE OBSESSION WITH MACS!!!!!!

Neither do i my friend, my theory is that its more about social stature then picking the best computer. Plus once you have a mac or any apple product for that matter you are instantly superior, as another guess has said:

Guest said:

Macs tend to attract better quality human beings

.....oh brother, cue another eye roll

Load all comments...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.