Apple iCloud will not support Windows XP

By on June 8, 2011, 8:00 PM

Apple has decided not to support Windows XP for its iCloud synchronization service, revealed earlier this week. Given that iCloud's predecessor, MobileMe, supported XP just fine, this is a minor shock, though it makes sense.

The information comes from the fine print on the apple.com/icloud/features webpage. Here is the relevant excerpt: "Requires iOS 5 on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPod touch (3rd and 4th generation), iPad, or iPad 2, or a Mac computer with OS X Lion or a PC with Windows Vista or Windows 7 (Outlook 2007 or 2010 recommended)."

Apple iCloud is a service designed to work with apps on iOS, Mac, or PC to automatically store your content online and push it back to all your devices when requested. When anything changes on one of your devices, all of your devices are wirelessly updated as soon as possible.

Although Windows Vista and Windows 7 are used by 35 percent of users around the world, Windows XP still trumps them both with over 50 percent market share. This is very unfortunate given that XP is a decade-old operating system.

Microsoft knows this and is making its own attempts to woo users off the platform. The software giant still supports those using XP, despite its hate for the ancient OS.

On April 14, 2009, Microsoft retired Mainstream Support for XP, and with it, support for IE6. The company is not planning to retire Extended Support for the operating system until April 8, 2014. If the company ends up releasing XP SP4 (highly unlikely), it will retire support for SP3 (released in April 2008) two years later, or in April 2014, whichever comes first. In short, Windows XP will continue to be officially supported by Microsoft for about three more years. Despite the support options, Redmond still wants XP and IE6 to die.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Well now, there's a good solid reason to avoid it like the plague.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

OMG, they're all colluding on this together. Mulder was right.

Rasta211 said:

Apple iCloud does not support Windows XP, then 50% of the population will not support iCloud.

Do it support Windows Server 2003 SP2 ?

aj_the_kidd said:

Rasta211 said:

Or more likely the ones how really want iCloud will upgrade to Win7 or switch to Mac, the latter being the most likely unfortunately

" Despite the support options, Redmond still wants XP and IE6 to die "

Of course, They still want to sell OSs !!!

Do it support Linux with its 1% maket share ?

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

I think the ones that really want iCloud aren't XP users.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

+1 SNGX

And @Guest, doesn't Apple also happen to sell an OS product? Oh wait ...... trolls pretend that they don't know this.

Proofix said:

Ya and its 573 OSs behind with the upcoming Windows 576!

"XP time to hit the coffin..Dont get me wrong XP is a good OS, but it's 3 OS's back with the upcoming Windows 8."

Could not agree more. It's a stable, reliable OS, but still carries a lot of legacy weight from the NT time.

Now that Vista is nothing but past history, the migration to 7 is an advantageous step. Then in 2019, when windows 9 or 10 is out, we'll be transitioning to that OS, too.

I got into computers when Win2000 came out and i've had every Windows desktop OS since. Good or bad, that is the techie in me, and i don't regret any of em... even Vista post SP1.

"i don't regret any of em... even Vista post SP1" now that's dedication - I hate to say i did it too!

example1013 said:

Maybe if Microsoft wants more people on Windows 7 they should stop charging 200 dollars for a fresh install, since most people aren't going to buy vista just so the $100 upgrade license will work.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

No, Vista would be one past XP, and Windows 7 would be 2 OSes past XP. You can't really count the zero OS as "one"

Try it with your fingers, but don't use a finger for XP..

example1013 said:

captaincranky said:

Try it with your fingers, but don't use a finger for XP..

No, he's counting from Windows 8. Let's count back from 8.

1: WIndows 7

2: Windows Vista

3: Windows XP

3. 3 OSes. Ah ah ah.

@example1013: captaincranky capt said " Try it with your fingers, but don't use a finger for XP.. "

then, where is your error ?

XP is here and now !!!

;)

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

No, he's counting from Windows 8. Let's count back from 8.

1: WIndows 7

2: Windows Vista

3: Windows XP

3. 3 OSes. Ah ah ah.

And do either you, or "guest", have Windows 8? I mean other than some beta or a BS Frankenstein crack version?

Either that, or we have guests from the future, or you can't count either.

I mean really, if you want to spout a bunch of garbage, why not start counting from Windows 12.

And the two of you might get together and buy me a 3 pack of "Windows 7 Pro 64 bit" for Christmas..

I've always believed it was a more righteous path to, "put your money where your mouth is", than to, "put your mouth where someone else keeps their wallet"!.... "!

example1013 said:

captaincranky said:

No, he's counting from Windows 8. Let's count back from 8.

1: WIndows 7

2: Windows Vista

3: Windows XP

3. 3 OSes. Ah ah ah.

And either you, or "guest", have Windows 8? I mean other than some beta or a BS crack version?

Either that, or we have guests from the future, or you can't count either.

I was just explaining why said guest wasn't technically wrong. I wouldn't start counting from Windows 8 yet either myself, since it's not out yet, but you seemed to have missed that part, hence my pointing it out.

We could start from Windows 12 if you want, though. So given that WIndows 12 will come out eventually, Windows XP will at some pointbe 8 OSes behind.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Well, you and "guest" want to play numbers games, do it with each other. I certainly don't want to, which is why I published my little math lesson in the first place!

Here's a little math lesson, especially designed for haugthy little technocrats that keep blasting though here, telling people what OS they should be using. Ready?

I have 5 PCs and a laptop. 3 PCs have Win XP. 2 PCs have Windows 7, and the lappy has Vista. So, I really don't need some ???? telling me what OS I should have, since all I have to do, is fire up the one that suits my mood. Can you?

This message was brought to you by a Windows PC, running "Windows 7, Home Premium". Now I think I'll go fire up my 6 year old eMachine with XP, and it'll tell you the same damned thing.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Should we not have a place for pre-historic computers like your eMachine, and one of the old (semi-dead) Pentium D's running XP I have gathering dust at work?

example1013 said:

captaincranky said:

I'm not telling you what OS to use. I'd still be using XP if not for the fact that I didn't feel like skirting copywright laws, and that I got W7 for $80, tax-free.

example1013 said:

Discussion of old machines actually leads to the other problem with upgrading everyone to Windows 7. At work, 95% of the computers have 1 gig RAM at most, so they can't even really run Windows 7. The hardware requirements mean we'd have to buy about 40 new computers just to upgrade the OS. And given that XP still works just fine, that's not going to happen any time soon, especially with the economy the way it is.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Please understand this, most of my previous posts have been targeted at "guest's" mindset. You seemed to willingly embrace the after school math club debate with some vigor.

As far as not going along with buying everything that Redmond says I must, hey, you're preaching to the choir.

We used to call concepts like this, "counting your chickens before they are hatched"!

So the bottom line is, "guest" seems to be telling us which OS to use, and concocting some tricky math to do it.

And all this time you've been letting me go on calling "Proofix" "guest"! Oh well, I guess I'll get used to him at some point.

But I guess the overarching question is, "why exactly should XP hit the coffin, because Apple isn't going to support it"? Did they ever? After all, for the longest time, I don't think Macs even supported NTFS! (I'm pretty sure they wouldn't write it. But I am willing to be corrected on this point). Maybe that was Linux?

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Linux doesn't use the NTFS format, yes.. but it allows you to 'mount' external NTFS partitions.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

XP is here and now !!!

Boo yah....!

Perhaps we should venerate them, like the harbingers of the new gods to be they are!....

hqahahahahahaahahah

"Windows XP still [has] 50 percent market share. This is very unfortunate given that XP is a decade-old operating system.

that blows that microsoft holds on to their OS for such a long time, it's as if they con only make a decent OS every decade with a bunch of failures in between. the world's leading OS company sucks at making OS'.... go figure

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Captain:

This Guest at # 31 seems to be a case for TMS.

I don't give an F

Lets be honest yeah.. 50% of the world uses windows XP but someone that is intelligent enough to be still using it will not drag down the performance of their PC using the resource hogging apple software.

This is for apple fanboys or future fanboys not for diehard windows users, the only ones that would still use Windows XP for sound reasons.

Anyway I'm sure installing this software will put 10 services and even install a virtual driver in your machine making it 50% slower so you blame windows for being so slow and go and buy a mac.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I don't give an F
I feel you on that.

Then, if you install anything by Adobe on top of it, your PC might stop altogether.. [/qoute]

Don't know If I'm using the board codes correctly sorry if I don't...

Well.. Flash player actually has made a good move by putting a control panel icon so you can disable or enable updates whenever you want.. I like that.

As for the PDF reader I don't use the Adobe one anymore and I've been using alternatives at least 4 years from now, but yeah I agree that starting stuff that you are not using when you power on your computer is stupid.

Still.. that also happens in MacOS with Adobe products, but itunes installs so much stuff in Windows that makes you think it is all done on purpose.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

OK, point Adobe there. But now, let's start subtracying points for the rest of their business model.

My original comment about Adobe software, "shutting down the machine", was not aimed at Reader or Flash, but rather at their imaging software such as Photoshop Elements. These are bloated, resource hogging pigs, with an "updater" that can't be stopped, and all it does is try to sell you more s***, not fix any problems. I call it "adware", well, because it is.

It was admittedly, a bit off topic.

But no, you'll never find my head drifting in the iCloud. Never, ever!

<quote> This is an interesting take on Apple in Windows. Perhaps you're correct about it. I have noticed tons of Apple processes running in machines under repair in our "Virus and Malware Removal" forum. Not saying they have anything to do with the infection, but you're right, a lot of crap goes along with iTunes. Personally I avoid Apple product, (hard & software), like the plague. </quote>

I'm pretty sure it is done on purpose.

First Apple installs a service for their bonjour server it doesn't tell the user what it is for or a way to disable easily, you have to disable the process from the services control panel or just uninstall it from add/remove programs, there's not a switch on itunes and if there is it doesn't prevent the service from running, then you have a service to detect iDevices so iTunes starts unexpectingly when you connect one of those, first I hate programs having a mind of their own, then why running a service for that? wouldn't it be nice to be integrated to the autoplay/autostart feature of windows so you would choose what to do and it wouldn't run its own service? but things don't stop there if you stop the service the iDevice cannot interface with iTunes so you only have the choice to have it running all the time or start it when you need to sync that ****, then you have these hidden processes that are like hashtags and that apparently are only copies of the original iDevice detecting service so you have a hard time disabling it WTF?

Then you have no choice but to install Quicktime with itunes, yeah, I understand iTunes may use it as the engine to play the files but why installing the full Quicktime player? why not doing something like wmpredist that only installs the necessary files for other programs to access it?

But that is not the worse part, it installs a taskbar icon (one of those that actually are programs and runs next to the clock) just to access Quicktime, I mean why do you need an icon that only does that? wouldn't it be more feasible to have an integrated icon that included the options to run itunes, quicktime and even disable or enable the services from there? not that I like taskbar icons either but at least make it worth it, also this little icon that does nothing hogs a lot of resources and memory, oh why could it be? and why do the other processes do the same? obviously Apple knows the popularity of their iDevices so they found a way to boycott windows machines doing shitty and overbloated versions of their software for windows.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

captaincranky said......

I'm pretty sure it is done on purpose.

This is great insight and analysis on a prominent Apple vs. Windows issue.

Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

I'm bumping this older story up to the top of the stack, so that hopefully, many others will take a few moments to read it

Who cares? If they want Apple features and functionality they should perhaps look into buying a Mac computer.

Zen Zen, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Well everyone needs to face the fact that when it comes to computer Operating Systems, nothing lasts forever! Trust me, I'm not here to be a "fanboy" to anything! But I will say that when I choose to use a Microsoft Operating System, my choice is always Windows XP Pro. I just am going to take this Apple Cloud things as the constant hand writing on the wall. Apple chooses to not allow it's Cloud things to be supported on the Windows XP Operating System, big deal and so what. It's not like Windows XP has ever at anytime been solely dependant upon any Apple hardware or software to work. Due to Apple's choice, this isn't going to make Windows XP "buy the farm"! I think Windows XP is going to be just fine, even with the gradual "alienation" that both the Tech world and the real world put upon Windows XP.

But eventually, regardless on how much of a "powerhouse" an Operating System had been during the Apex of it's life, all things gradually come to an end and things always change. Windows 95 A & B, Windows 98 1st & 2nd, Windows M.E., Windows 2000 all got the gradual "phasing out"! The same will be true one day for Windows XP, it's happening right now, right in front of our very eye's, some can see it, some can't, some choose to deny that it will ever happen, but regardless, this is just one little example in regards to Apple of the gradual phasing out that Windows XP now suffers from.

If I wasn't so in love with Linux Ubuntu 10.10, I would be using Windows XP in a heart beat! But I'm not going to let Apple's choice get me down, for me, regardless of how "phased out" Windows XP ever gets, it's still going to be used by me!

This article is incorrect. Apple says that Vista or Windows 7 is required for iTunes Match. Apple does *not* say that Windows XP will not be supported by iCloud. The fine print at http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/contacts-calendar-mail.
tml says that *some* features require Vista or Windows 7.

You can hack iCloud control panel to work on Windows XP to give you synced access to Contacts, Calenders, Reminders and Bookmarks. It also can be used to set up your me.com mail.

I found a solution here, have written it up in clearer english and added details re IMAP support for me.com addresses here:

In summary:

Requirements:

iTunes 5.10

Unpacking program e.g. 7-Zip or WinRar

Orca MSI editor

The iCloud setup hack for Windows XP:

Download iCloud Control Panel for Windows.

Open iCloudSetup.exe file with WinRar or 7-Zip and extract.

Navigate to and open the iCloud.msi or iCloud64.msi (for 64bit systems) with Orca.

In the left table select LaunchCondition. Then change in the right table "VersionNT> = 600" to "VersionNT> = 200" and Save.

Run modified iCloud.msi and install.

Run iCloud Control Panel, located in the Windows Control Panel, and set up as you want.