Weekend tech reading: Study says IE users have lower IQs

By on July 31, 2011, 3:08 PM

Study: IE users have lower IQs An online IQ assessment test was offered on our website. Most of the subjects came to the website either by organic searches from search engines, or advertisements put on various search engines for keywords targeting users who were looking for a free online IQ test. The test was offered only to visitors of a few English speaking countries namely USA, Canada, UK, Australia and New Zealand. Aptiquant (PDF)

Ubisoft: our DRM "is a success" We recently reported on how Driver: San Francisco will require a constant internet connection to play. It’s a controversial measure put in place to defend against piracy, and we don’t like it. We don’t like pirates either, mind. Speaking to us earlier today, a Ubisoft representative admitted that the developer has seen "a clear reduction in piracy of our titles which required a persistent online connection." PC Gamer

Windows XP PCs breed rootkit infections Machines running the decade-old Windows XP make up a huge reservoir of infected PCs that can spread malware to other systems, a Czech antivirus company said today. Windows XP computers are infected with rootkits out of proportion to the operating system's market share, according to data released Thursday by Avast Software, which surveyed more than 600,000 Windows PCs. Computerworld

Crytek working on new multiplatform shooter IP Crytek is diversifying its portfolio, continuing to work on games that don't have "Cry" in the title. Having shipped Crysis 2 recently, the company is working on a new multiplatform shooter IP, reports Supererogatory. Mention of the new IP comes from a LinkedIn profile, which mentions a "New IP, shooter genre, TBA title for Xbox360, PS3 and PC." Vague, but there you have it. Shacknews

PayPal hands over 1,000 IP addresses to the FBI, look out Anonymous PayPal was attacked by Anonymous last year when they had blocked the Wikileaks accounts transactions. Now PayPal has finally come up with enough evidence to strike back at Anonymous with the help of the FBI. PayPal has come up with a list of over 1,000 IP addresses left behind when they were attacked by Anonymous. TekGoblin

Foxconn to replace workers with 1 million robots in 3 years Taiwanese technology giant Foxconn will replace some of its workers with 1 million robots in three years to cut rising labor expenses and improve efficiency, said Terry Gou, founder and chairman of the company, late Friday. The robots will be used to do simple and routine work such as spraying, welding and assembling... Xinhua

Congress to take up Internet sales tax issue plaguing Amazon It looks like Amazon's dispute with states over collecting sales tax on online purchases will be taken up by Congress. Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) is expected to introduce a bill that would allow states to require all retailers, including online stores and brick-and-mortar retailers, to collect sales tax, reports Politico. TechFlash

Investigation: Is your SSD more reliable than a hard drive? Does a lack of moving parts translate to higher reliability? That's the assumption many enthusiasts and IT professionals make about SSDs. We go straight to the data centers using these devices, dig into failure rate statistics, and suggest otherwise. Tom's Hardware

Ubuntu One hits the one million users mark -- upgrades free plan to 5 GB Roberta Nilerud of Canonical has announced that their cloud storage service – Ubuntu One – has hit the one million users mark. Ubuntu One is a cloud storage service from Canonical that is very tightly integrated into Ubuntu. Digitizor

Game developers hoping to launch Google+ games within weeks It’s no secret that Google is preparing an applications platform for its Google+ social network. Game developers say they’re looking forward to making games for the platform, which could launch within a matter of weeks. Venture Beat

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

*Switches to Firefox*

And businesses that code specifically for IE are really dumb!

IE now has a market share just under 25%.

Mizzou Mizzou said:

Not even going to try and top that Benny ... lmao

Lokalaskurar Lokalaskurar said:

The study also shows that Opera users have the highest average IQs. The final summary is that IE6 users should upgrade... even though IE9 users have lower IQs than IE8 users.

Nice one Benny, btw. lmao indeed.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Study: IE users have lower IQs*An online IQ assessment test was offered on our website. Most of the subjects came to the website either by*organic searches from search engines, or...
Online IQ tests have the nasty reputation of being one more way to gather peoples personal information. I avoid them like the plague.

And thanks for the link Matthew, but I unfortunately haven't the slightest intention of dropping the script blocking in Firefox to read it.

One questions why the article needs to be in PDF form anyway.

Will someone ballsy enough to approach the site with IE, please post their findings about the IQs of "Chrome" users?

Lokalaskurar Lokalaskurar said:

One ballsy user reporting!

Chrome users have an average IQ of 110. That would be about 20-30 points more than the average IE user (IE6 to IE9). Interesting enough; IE with "Chrome frame" users have an average of 125 IQ points. I have no clue what that means to be honest (I'm merely a Chrome user, synonymous with 'complete *****' it seems).

In the top 10, Chrome users were on the fifth place - IE with "Chrome frame" on third, right next to Camino (second) and Opera (first).

There is no data for Chrome dating pre-2011.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

I already knew this....I had the article in my Speed Dial ©...

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I already knew this....I had the article in my Speed Dial ©...
I just logged in with IE6 to ask you, "what's a speed dial"...?

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

I just logged in with IE6 to ask you, "what's a speed dial"...?

Well thanks for screwing that up!

Speed dial is the website save/preview feature add on for Opera.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Well thanks for screwing that up!

Speed dial is the website save/preview feature add on for Opera.

Oh, you mean the pretty click me home page thingy that you can install in Opera to take you right to your favorite pages? I have a pretty picture of a Phoenix bird on mine. I'll have to launch Opera one day, to see if it's as. pretty as I remember.

One ballsy user reporting!.
A hearty thanks indeed for your intrepid reportage!

IQs that approach 80 I believe are considered learning challenged. (?) (110-30=80)!
There is no data for Chrome dating pre-2011.
Now see, if I wrote that sentence it would read,
Mercifully, there is no data for Chrome dating pre-2011

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Thats the one. It is extremely pretty with V-Glass or such.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Wow, Ubisoft has really lost it. Does somebody know how to put on a straitjacket on a whole company?

One ballsy user reporting!

There is no data for Chrome dating pre-2011.

So what you're saying is, IE is sort of like the dunce cap of the internet?

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I had an IQ test just to be safe, and i came out with a bog average of 119. Although, that might not be quite true because i have been known to be a lucky person, and as everyone knows: A lucky person will always have a good IQ, because the questions are all multiple choice.

Mizzou Mizzou said:

Not sure about all this, but think my IQ has dropped a couple of points just from reading this thread.

bchen88c said:

Lokalaskurar said:

One ballsy user reporting!

There is no data for Chrome dating pre-2011.

Chrome Frame is a plugin to IE 6-9 that gives its JS technologies inside the program, supposedly making IE faster with some Chrome code.

Det Det said:

News flash!

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

So, this study would have me believe that people with IQ's well above average (if the average is 120+ in some cases then there must be a few bona fide geniuses to offset the hoi polloi) partake of "online IQ tests". I suppose the next study will show that theoretical physicists are more likely to apply for a FREE! Green card, try the Acai Berry diet, and click to join the perfectly above-board Russian dream-girl dating/marriage service.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

You know I said something like that:

But that was before I knew there were Russian girls involved! Where do I leave my email address(es)?

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

You know I said something like that:

Ah, sort of. I'm actually keen on finding out what makes online IQ tests attractive to people with off-the-scale intelligence...i.e. could a super-mega-hyper-intelligent person actually be drawn to- what is generally regarded as the province of- online phishing and scams in general. If intelligent people are drawn to this kind of activity, then maybe the online test should actually incorporate an emotional intelligence (EQ) factor to allow for the intelligencia's need for simple online validation.

BTW: Congrats on getting Asomugha - cornering the market on cornerbacks.

@red1776

Commiserations on the Donovan McNabb move. At least you wont have to worry about FavreFavreFavre!!! overthrowing receivers by twenty yards...now you'll have Donovan throwing the ball into the dirt five yards in front of tight ends on simple crossing routes.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

@red1776

Hi Chef,

I wish I could figure out what the hell they are doing over there in winter Park. The last time they did this (1998) with Randall Cunningham, It was a throw the ball straight up in the air and let Moss and Co come down with it. I think this year the opposition will be coming down with the ball more times than not....They have been saying for years that since the 83' draft (the Marino.Montana,Elway class, QB talent has been declining....but is it really this bad?

**** To keep it on topic, have you ever talked to anyone who didn't score 154 or so on the "online IQ" test?

Ya know...since I started using Opera a few years ago...I have had sudden urges to go out and buy a Mac..

Zecias said:

dividebyzero said:

a well above average iq(or genius) is 130+.

An IQ test itsself is a statistical survey; It only includes people taking the survey.

EX: If everyone in the world took an iq test and then we took everyone who scored 100 or lower to take another iq test, the people with 100 iq would be counted as geniuses on the second iq test.

An iq test is judging intelligence relative to others taking the test.

i was a little skeptical about the test, so i did some calculations.

results:

people using IE6: 9.18%

there is a 9.18% chance that the differences between the average iq of 100 and the average iq of IE6 users, 80, are just due to dumb luck(if you were to perform this survey multiple times, you would get this result in about every 10 tries). The generally accepted statistical significance value is 5%, so people who use IE6 probably aren't dumber than every one else.

people using camino:4.18%

people using opera:4.75%

People who use camino and opera are probably smarter than the rest of us, for some strange reason.

There are always a huge number of factors and room for errors in these tests, so take them for what they are.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Those 1 million unemployed Foxconn workers are going to move to Mongolia and open up their own bootleg iPad factory.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

QB talent has been declining....but is it really this bad?

The Panthers are giving Cam Newton $22m in guaranteed money- does that answer your question? Look on the bright side at least the Vikings didn't plump for Mark Bulger

Yeah. Once met a guy who only scored 145...He told me this while I was helping him tie his shoelaces (and no, he wasn't Stephen Hawking).

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Good god already. Remember when football players had a an off season job? By the way, how often does College QB talent transition to a successful pro career do you suppose?...guaranteed money...PBFFFTT!

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Ask for Yuri @ http://www.Justfilloutthisformstupid.ru (clicking this link makes you a Mensa candidate by order of Aptiquant).

You mean with one mouse click, all of my shining hopes, glorious dreams, and wildest fantasies could become living flesh? God bless you kind sir......! And thank you, thank you, thank you, from the darkest recesses of my craven heart.....

Route44 Route44, TechSpot Ambassador, said:

Hey red, as long time suffering Eagles fan I have seen more than my fill of Donovan. If you have wide-outs that can stretch the field you'll be okay but slant routes and other short to medium patterns are his bane.

He will throw worm balls. Plus, Minnesota got him for two 6th round draft choices?! Not saying much...

At least with Randall you went to the playoffs.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

At least with Randall you went to the playoffs.

Oh you're right about the 98 season. We had Moss and Carter on either end to go up and get it and it was very successful (set a points in a season record (344) if I remember. We do not have that wide out talent now however. This could get bad.....like Les Steckel bad. We have a QB that cant throw upfield...and receivers who cant catch down-field.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Oh your right about the 98 season.
You still can't quite wrap your head around the "you are" equals "you're" concept, can you?

But thanks for taking McNabb off our hands. I'm way too lazy to boo him all the way from PA. I looked into my crystal ball and herewith make this prediction, "next year will be a rebuilding year for the Vikings".....

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Fixed!....geezus

Wow! a real risk taker you are. What kind of odds come with that?

... " Study says IE users have lower IQs "

... completely true !!!

... and Opera users have highest IQs

... completely true, too !!!

This can believe only bullshit .

So what about the US Military? They wont allow anything other than Internet Exploder, hell, to sign in my AKO I have to use IE... it's worse with my CAC, well, until you work out all the certificates.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

This can believe only bullshit .

Gee I hadn't thought of that...

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

"Military intelligence" has always been considered the textbook example of an "oxymoron". Hey, don't shoot me, I'm only the messenger.

That recollection somehow strikes me as quite obscene.

Oh look, the guy who wrote !E6 just weighed in:

This can believe only bullshit .

@lawfer

"So what you're saying is, IE is sort of like the dunce cap of the internet?"

lol nice one

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

What about people who use multiple browsers?

If we take this seriously, it would mean an FF user becomes dumber as soon as he/she starts IE x.xx ......

You just about summed it up, with the exception of one word.

Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

Foxconn may have to install safety nets around the outside of their factories, those robots jumping off buildings will be expensive.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

No problem. If the robots are Foxconn "Quantum Force" branded they will break down before they climb halfway to the roof....assuming they don't try to "suicide" out by wiping their programming after becoming jealous at seeing the Asus and Gigabyte robots showing off their feature sets!

T77 T77 said:

another great reason to dump IE. :P

fpsgamerJR62 said:

I wonder where that places users of multiple browsers. I have Opera, Chrome, Firefox and IE installed in my various machines with Opera and Firefox seeing the highest usage. My latest favorites are Opera Next 12 Pre-Alpha and the 64-bit nightly build of Firefox 8.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

fpsgamerJR62 said:

You add them up!

So, Opera + IE = 230-IQ

Hell Yeah!

emmzo said:

Great. I feel smarter already using Firefox, but I guess I should switch to Opera just in case... The fact is there are so many reasons why people choose a particular browser and is mostly shallow reasons, that I believe it has nothing to do with intelligence, but with personal preferences, as in terms of performances, options they're not too far apart.

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

No surprise here.

This generation is by far the dumbest in the last several hundred years.

jobeard jobeard, TS Ambassador, said:

how childish can it get

fimbles fimbles said:

IQ is like latency, the lower the better,

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

No surprise here.

This generation is by far the dumbest in the last several hundred years.

Pity this generation lacks the intellect to provide links which (probably don't) support their dumba$s statements.

3DCGMODELER 3DCGMODELER said:

Boy is that company in a big pile of doggy doo doo.. lawsuit that is....

I would like them to say that to me in person... end result would not be pretty..

IQ = 117

Mike

Tedster Tedster, Techspot old timer....., said:

I'm sure our libtard moronic government funded this waste of a study with our tax dollars.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

If by "our" , you mean the U.S., then It would seem strange that the U.S. Government would commission a study to be conducted by a Canadian company.

With a name like psychometrics, I'm pretty sure that every other U.S.daytime talkshow would qualify for the funding.