Mortal Kombat reboot confirmed, coming to theaters in 2013

By on September 30, 2011, 2:30 PM

Mortal Kombat will be heading back to theaters in a big way thanks to a fan-made short film in 2010 called Mortal Kombat: Rebirth. The new movie based on the popular tournament-based fighting franchise is scheduled for a 2013 release and will be directed by Kevin Tancharoen, creator of the viral short that's garnered over two million hits on YouTube.

Based on the success of Tancharoen’s fan film which was made without the support or blessings of Warner Bros., the studio hired him on to create a web-based mini-series to coincide with the launch of the latest game in the franchise, Mortal Kombat: Legacy. The web series was a big hit and the game has sold close to three million copies, prompting executives to give the green light for a feature movie.

“The new game and the online shorts prompted us to consider a reboot of a brand we hadn’t been actively thinking about,” Toby Emmerich, president of New Line said.

The new film is expected to have a budget well under $100 million and will paint a more realistic picture of the Mortal Kombat characters, much like the gritty short and web series.

The original Mortal Kombat movie was released in 1995 with a sequel coming two years later, both produced by New Line Cinema. Further movies have been stalled due to courtroom litigation between Warner Bros. and Lawrence Kasanoff, who produced the two original movies. The LA times reports that one case has already been settled but other cases are still pending. Citing anonymous sources, it is believed that the two sides are close enough to resolution that the project can move forward without incident.

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

about f ing time i say, been waiting for the movie for at least 7 yrs when the rumors started about a new mortal kombat.

nice, I watched the first one just the other day..

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

talk about old news this video has been on the net for over 9 months and this version they have looks horrible. yes i want this movie to come out so bad but why so late to the story?

umm, because the video is only for the web movie and series, while this story is about the new confirmed reboot.

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

been waiting for this, the webisodes are fantastic ... now let's rock & with 3D in all its GlORY !

cheer!

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

omg, please just let it go.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Why won't they let this series die?

treetops treetops said:

The first movie was pretty cool back in the 90s but even then movies 2 and 3 seemed lame. I watched the first movie again about a year ago and it wasn't as horrid as I thought it would be. I bet kids would still get a kick out of it. It pretty much is the high water mark of the van damn type movies. Aside from bloodsport which is the greatest van damn movie of all time. No I don't know how to spell his full name and I don't care.

Example of the de-evolution of our species imo...Another Mortal Kombat movie...gimme a break!

First, the fact that the 1st MK movie gets made and was absolutely awful (unless you are under 12 yrs old)....And from what I read in the article apparently a sequel got made as well..haha..

Secondly, not only the fact that another MK movie gets made less than 20 years later...but all you nerds are actually applauding it and looking forward to it...Come On Man, haha.

For the most part I like my video games entertainment and film entertainment to be separate...why the need to turn everything into a movie?!?! And If you say $$$....I say de-evolution, if you say because people are interested in it...In this case, I say de-evolution!!! If you find a Mortal Kombat movie entertaining you are simply retarded...And the fact that there is enough interest, time, resources, and support (fans), to not only make 1 of these movies but at least 3, shows how retarded of a species we are...still a very long way to go...

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

i like how the guest always trash talk everyone make a profile and then trash talk you are probably someone who like twilight if i make fun of that then i am just judging you people like different things and to make fun of them for that shows your ignorance.

Lurker101 said:

WOW that looks like a disaster of a movie

caravel said:

Never underestimate the power of the shittastic Hollywood franchise (or the stupidity of the average consumer for that matter)...

It's all about flogging it to death and then flogging some more - just to be sure - and if they haven't killed it by then they need to make 6 more installments... if it still survives then drastic measures are called for and a "franchise vs franchise" spin off or several should put the whole thing out of it's misery in at least two more attempts...

RealXboxMaster said:

LMAO....I 100% Agree

Why are there pictures of a shirtless girl when he closes the folder?

Emin3nce said:

Let's pack some retardo-**** violence, a terrible script and some unrealistic combat into a stupid movie with D grade acting...

And make a mint!

Sixteenthbooch said:

Let's get it hyped up so we can all feel disappointed when it's crap.

looks like people still think that MK Rebirth is the trailer of this 2013 movie.

Even it's not the trailer of MK Legacy the web series

But both things Rebirth and Legacy finally definied the path of this stalled proyect

I like the webseries, now, let's see what can make Kevin T. in this movie.

Finally! Thank you Movie Gods! Loved the very first one back in the 90's. Just let it be similar to the Rebirth trailer and it will be off the chain. Keep Michael Jai White in it. Makes it more interesting cause that Mutha f&%#* can fight too.

your funny man. Just because the game started when most of us were kids back with sega. So, its cool to watch the movie just like all the other DC/Marvel movies that are eating up the box office. Its entertaining because most people that are going to watch it arent "nerdy enough" to know more then the basics about Mortal Kombat. Lol, like I never even learned any of the Special Combos on the game. haha.. I was content playing it with my older brother. Because It was quality time. I guesse now that I think about it thats the only reason I was ever interested and then its just cool that they have super powers!! Just learned the other day about this some of the clips are great with the half human half robot dudes. SICK!

Im waiting for the best MK movie ever! This needs to be made realistic and brutal. Rated R. YEA!

Emmanuel Emmanuel said:

Why until 2013 damn the world could end this December I can't wait to watch it

You don't like don't watch it...plain and simple...don't try to change other people's minds because they are looking forward to this...most of the"new movies" today suck balls...I think the only reason they are doing remakes is to get the kids of today and their parents involved in what was awesome for the kids(adults now) and their parents(old and/or dead now) back in the day

As soon as I saw that baraka had dreads and johnny cage looked like a little skinny man I was thrown off .. excited but tthrown off ... they need to use the amazing world of makeup and CGI to make this thing as graphic and game-like as possible

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Using a massive quantity of FX shots in a fantasy movie is pretty much a given , isn't it?

Hell nowadays, they even use CGI on romantic comedies ....

Reworkd Reworkd said:

Yes, you are a retarded species. We get it.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Yes, you are a retarded species. We get it.
Actually not "retarded" which they tell me is an "offensive" or "pejorative" term. It is correctly called, "web handy capable".

There is a coined psychological term for it, and that is, "suffering from post-adolescent intellectual pretense". The constant reiteration of the term "de-evolution" is evidence of that.

More or less, "oh look, I just learned a new word, now I'm going to inflict in everyone I can".

In any event, de-evolution was contracted into "Devo". Yes silly, the 80's band.

"Are we not men, we are Devo"...yadda, yadda, yadda...ad naseum.

The 80's were a great period for long hair, spandex, lame', and last but not least, pseudo-intellectualism. Well, those, amyl-nitrate, and "let's give each other AIDS parties".

Darren Payne said:

When is it in theatres in the uk if any1 knows?

MovieBuff MovieBuff said:

Yes! Finally another MK movie... Let's hope they don't screw it up this time. I would like to see something that follows the original story line, origins and characters. I actually enjoyed the old ones, not for their great story line or acting, just for the fact that I am a fan. The video game series has survived 20 years, new generations are becoming fans and I'm sure they'd want a movie as much as we wanted it back then. Is it coming soon to theatres near you? I don't think so...