Apple unveils iPhone 4S, available October 14

By on October 4, 2011, 2:16 PM

Apple CEO Tim Cook unveiled the next-generation iPhone at a media event on the Apple campus today, putting an end to months of rumors and speculation about Apple’s latest smartphone. Called the iPhone 4S, it features an upgraded A5 dual-core processor, a faster wireless network and an 8MP rear camera with improved optics. The 4S retains the same size and shape of the iPhone 4, categorizing it as an evolutionary upgrade rather than a revolutionary device.

Other notable features include dual-core graphics which Apple claims is seven times faster than the previous iPhone and will really scream in games. Despite the beefed up hardware, battery life has been increased to eight hours of talk time on 3G, six hours of 3G browsing, nine hours of Wi-Fi browsing, 10 hours of video watching and 40 hours of music listening.

Apple has addressed the antenna issue that initially plagued the original iPhone 4 by including two antennas on the 4S. The phone can intelligently switch between the two for improved call quality and data transmission.

The iPhone 4S is a world phone, meaning it can run on both CDMA and GSM networks and features faster “4G-like” speeds of 14.4 Mbps down and 5.8 Mbps upload.

As rumored, the 4S has received a significant camera upgrade as well. The new shooter is now an 8MP unit that outputs at 3264x2448 resolution and features a backside illuminated CMOS sensor that lets in 73 percent more light. A hybrid IR filter provides better, more accurate colors while the five lens inside the camera provides 30 percent sharper images and will go down to f/2.4 aperture. The camera is said to snap photos 33 percent faster than the original and includes an Apple-designed image signal processor that enables face detection and 26 percent better auto white balance. On the video side, the iPhone 4S shoots 1080p HD video with real-time image stabilization and temporal noise reduction.

Apple also unveiled a new voice assistant program called Siri which is described as an “intelligent assistant that helps you get things done just by asking.” With Siri, you can ask the phone a wide array of questions in a normal conversational tone and Siri will work to deliver accurate responses to any number of questions or requests. For example, in a demo of Siri, Scott Forstall wanted to create a reminder to call his wife after leaving work. He said, “Remind me to call my wife when I leave work.” Siri asked to confirm the reminder, already knew who his wife was and set up a geofence around his work. When he leaves that perimeter, Siri will remind him to make the call.

The iPhone 4S will be available in 16GB, 32GB and 64GB capacities for $199, $299 and $399 respectively in white and black. Pre-orders start October 7 and availability in the US, Canada, Australia, the UK, France and Germany will be on October 14. The phone will be available on AT&T, Verizon Wireless and Sprint in the US. 22 more countries will get the 4S on October 28 with 70 countries having availability by the end of the year.

We also learned that iOS 5 and iCloud will be available to current iOS users on October 12 as a free update. iTunes Match will launch near the end of the month in the US.

Getting one although disappointing that the screen size wasn't increased. Everything else sounds great.

Punkid said:

i soooooooooo wanna take this opportunity to laugh at apple fanboys'

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

The iPhone 5 was a no show, disappointing to an extent but I respect when companies prefer not to tease consumers with a product that is nowhere near production. I assume that's what happened here, that and the fact that an iPhone 5 preview would have cut down on potential 4S sales.

Recipe7 Recipe7 said:

"The iPhone 4S is a world phone, meaning it can run on both CDMA and GSM networks"

This means that all iPhone 4S are unlocked?

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

@recipe7, I really don't think so

Shawn was probably referring only to the frequency bands, "meaning it can run on both CDMA and GSM networks"

Butch said:

Meh.. boring..

Nima304 said:

I still can't believe how much more Apple charges for a simple hard drive upgrade.

Recipe7 Recipe7 said:

Thanks for clearing that up Julio.

Similar to the iPhone 4, do you think they will continue to have batches of unlocked iPhone 4s?

Raswan Raswan said:

butch said:

Meh.. boring..

+1 All hype, nothing to get excited about. Except the millions of ****** who are going to upgrade.

Tomorrow_Rains said:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That is all.

Now for the mad amount of profits this lifestyle is going to make.

3.5" screen? Please tell me this is a joke.

So they improved the speech recognition so it's slightly less dog-awful? The SGS2's speech recognition is freaking amazing.

And the "new" processor.... HAHAHAHAHA

They can't do anything after having moved away from Samsung.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

All joking aside, their meteoric rise to the top seems to have tapered off. We can argue patent infringement all night long, but basically they're suing more, making enemies, and now this is sort of an underwhelming announcement, considering everyone expected the iPhone 5 to come out.

This is what happens when hype backfires.

mario mario, Ex-TS Developer, said:

The keynote is live: [link]

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Wait, <I>this</I> is it?

Apple actually released what is, at best, a minuscule update to an already under-powered smartphone? Say it ain't so...!

How embarrassing lol. Now we know why Steve Jobs stepped down. What a joke of an upgrade hehe.

I only have to say...just like The Gremlins Movie.........GIZMOOOOOOOO CACAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

aj_the_kidd said:

The dual core phone seems less impressive since there have been dual core android phones out for a while now. I honestly see no reason to jump ship from Android to Apple. That being said, if i had the iPhone 4 i would definitely upgrade

Sarcasm Sarcasm said:

Wow how lame. Same everything. Really not worth it to move from a iPhone 4 to 4s considering the speed of the iPhone 4 is relatively good already.

But of course the Apple sheep will buy this in droves.

The S on the 4S stands for Sheep. ;)

not a joke of an upgrade the a5 chip will be like the phone is running on 4G and the camera is ridiculous

If only Steve Jobs was still the CEO.......

ROFL, looks like the iMagic on this iPhone4S has iFizzled.

hhmmmm very dissapointing! :(

I jumped ship to the Samsung Galaxy S 2 a few months ago. You can do SO much more with it... Apple bored me after a while and waaayyyyy too many restrictions for me. I like to add what i like where i like.... Glad I did now :)

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

apple is behind on specs and pretty much everything else i mean look at the android and windows phones that are about to come out come on apple give it up ugggg but alas millions of *****'s will flock to this phone because it has a picture of an apple on it.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

If they aren't out now why such the hate for this?

Specs look like a pretty good upgrade to me. Also, if the cell networks aren't improving (fast enough) I don't think its time for the iPhone 5.

We'll see how much of a flop this is when we look at sales figures in a year.

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

The S on the 4S stands for Sheep.

LOL

aj_the_kidd said:

The S on the 4S stands for Sheep.

iPhone-4-Sheep nice

Believe it or not there is, or at least there was, an app called "iSheep" in the App Store

SNGX1275 said:

We'll see how much of a flop this is when we look at sales figures in a year.

It wont be a flop, its Apple, people will flock to it regardless, they're not called iSheep for nothing.

Surely even as an iPhone fan you expected a little more then this? BTW i wouldn't classify you as an iSheep.

First off, many people use their phones as a camera now, the optics and image quality alone is worth the upgrade. I have used and tested most android phones, and I must say, am extremely saddened by the image quality of all of them. image stabilization, better dynamic range, increased aperature, and more.. Those alone make the upgrade worth it. Siri, while not the best in the world, is far better than what iphone 4 offers, as well as many/most androids. Implement Flash and apple FTW...

"First off, many people use their phones as a camera now, the optics and image quality alone is worth the upgrade. I have used and tested most android phones, and I must say, am extremely saddened by the image quality of all of them."

You can't be serious??? Camera phone and good photo quality do NOT go hand in hand, not in a million years. Not in an iPhone, not in a Samsung S2, etc.

Any smartphone in the world is a joke for photo quality compared to a low priced camera. Honestly, spend $300-400 on a Canon S95/S100 that you can put into a pocket with ease. I carry it around with me all the time because I actually do care about good quality pictures and don't just talk about it.

No one who understand photography is going to be fooled by an 8 megapixel sensor with limited optics in a smartphone.

All that apple has done here is barely matched the specs of the Samsung Galaxy S2, but is still not as customizable or as thin in profile. The screen is too small imho. It's funny how Apple fanboys considered dual-core CPUs, 4.3-4.5 inch screens irrelevant, 1080P video recording unnecessary, etc. until iPhone 4S delivered some of these. When iPhone 5 launches with a 4 inch screen, I am waiting to hear that it finally makes sense to move away from the tiny 3.5 inch screen.....

aj_the_kidd said:

Personally I find the cameras on Android phones very good, as well as the voice commands, to each his own i guess. FYI Apple have stated many many times that they will never implement flash

Recipe7 Recipe7 said:

I will probably pick this up at the end of the year.

As a medical professional, I still use the iphone because of it's extensive line of medical applications.

It also seems that Android has more sheep than Apple now, thankfully.

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Incremental upgrade that looks fairly similar to what they did with the 3G to 3GS. More processing power is always great, and the Camera looks pretty nice as well (pretty much a replacement for pocket cameras now). Slightly bigger screen size would have been nice, but Apple doesn't want to force rework on all of the available apps for resolution differences (same reason the iPad 2 was same res as Ipad 1).

Dunno dude, the processor in this thing is insanely fast, the camera and associated software is a very good upgrade.

Also I predict that within 5 years we will be doing more speaking to PCs and Phones and they will be interpreting what we want. Google is heading into AI and Apple once again shows it's 2-3 years ahead of Microsoft.

How is this any better than the samsung galaxy s 2... that came out back in Feb?

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

recipe7 said:

It also seems that Android has more sheep than Apple now, thankfully.

Did someone's panties get in a bunch?

Lol I find it so funny how iPhone fanboys are so blind to reality. I got 2 of them at work I have to put up with. When I got my Galaxy S2 I said about its processor, ram and camra all being better their response was it dosnt matter its not an iPhone and anyway the new iPhone will be out soon which will be way better. To which I replied thats not what rumors say, rumors say all its going to do is have the same specs, dual core, 1gb of ram and 8mp camra.

So many many months later after realease dates have been put back over and over. I said looks like I was right iPhone 4 S is a flop, all they have done is match their competitors spec many months later. To which they replied you know nothing have you not seen the iPhone promo video the new iPhone is awsome and I will be upgrading.

Another quote from an email.

"I can only assume that you have not seen the iphone 4S promo video?

I will be buying the Iphone 4S as the Samsung will never go near my pocket.

I am an Apple convert end of story and nothing you can say will make me change my mind"

LMAO, cut them in half and it will say Apple inside. So so sad.

Guest, I feel your pain for having to explain logic/facts to your 2 co-workers. But you will never win. If the competitors have superior specs, they will claim specs don't matter. If the iPhone starts to match specs of the competitors, they will claim their components have been carefully picked (i.e., their dual core is better than competitor's dual core, their camera is better than competitors, their screen is better, etc.). If you say a 3.5 inch screen is a bit too small, they will argue that 4.0-4.5 inch is too large to fit into their pocket (well until iPhone 5 comes out). See if Apple iPhone buyers said: "I am buying the iPhone because it looks the best to me and I want the iOS eco-system as I am used to it and I don't really want to relearn usability", then hardly anyone would object. But no, they go out of their way to put down every other phone as if it's inferior in every way. It's this heard mentality of dismissing logic based on emotions that results in a lot of people resenting this type of behaviour. After all, evolution has dictated that the most logical and intelligent species survive -- and acting on emotions is neither logical not intelligent.

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

If they aren't out now why such the hate for this?

We'll see how much of a flop this is when we look at sales figures in a year.

because the nexus prime and htc vigor will be out withing a month and a half and will have far better specs than any apple phone even the mighty iphone 5 will not stack up. i mean come on 1.5Ghz duel core cpu 1Gb ram and atleast 4.3" screen ????? whats not to hate about apple they are behind and dont know what to do about it. they only care about money because they know apple fanboys will buy whatever crap they think up if they told you a rock was the newest thing and called it irock people would buy it.

Recipe7 Recipe7 said:

gwailo247 said:

recipe7 said:

It also seems that Android has more sheep than Apple now, thankfully.

Did someone's panties get in a bunch?

Thank you for proving my point.