Valve launches free Portal 2 DLC, cuts 50% off the game

By on October 4, 2011, 6:11 PM

As promised, Valve has published Portal 2's first chunk of downloadable content today for PC, Mac, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Titled "Peer Review," the update continues the co-op story as players navigate P-Body and Atlas through a fresh set of test chambers, presumably constructed by the ever-cynical AI, GLaDOS. The DLC also contains a single player and co-op "Challenge Mode," as well as leaderboards to compare Challenge Mode scores with your buddies.

Considering how many players protested Portal 2's relatively short campaign, this update (and future DLCs) should continue to smooth things over with the community. Despite causing an initial uproar, the user score on Metacritic has improved over recent months and the game has reportedly sold over two million copies. The fresh content is readily available and it should be free of charge on all supported platforms -- including the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

What's more, as part of its midweek madness sale, Steam has chopped half off Portal 2's regular price. A single copy is available for $14.99, two copies are fetching $27.49 and a bundle pack of Portal 1 and 2 are going for $17.49 -- in case you missed the recent giveaway. Although the original Portal will probably be free again at some point, it's definitely worth the $2.50. We haven't played the add-on content yet, but if you have, your thoughts are welcome below.

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

WoW well worth a buy, portal 1 not so much but 2 is great! Glad to see Valve not being greedy [insert insult here] like EA and Activision.

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

Great - I buy this instead of Rage It's a sad day for me. Don't get me wrong, I love Valve and Portal 1.

RH00D RH00D said:

You mean I can buy a AAA title from one of the most respected gaming companies for $15 AND get free DLC to go along with it? That's a rarity these days! This is why I love Valve.

KG363 KG363 said:

It'll be cheaper at Christmas

ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

Wish I had a Portal. Wish I Wish I had a Portal Gun

chaboi390 said:

ghasmanjr said:

Wish I had a Portal. Wish I Wish I had a Portal Gun

U can have a Portal gun, just develop a quantum portal device and put a trigger at the end of it and your done.

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

RH00D said:

Yeah they are amazing, that said their customer support is very lacking, at least from my experience.

Love Portal 2.....that said I am a "little" disappointed with the DLC. I play Portal alone "except for when my sons come over" and I was really hoping for some new puzzles. From what I can see there may be some in coop mode but as far as single player there are none. Too bad! Ah well still a great game.

Kinda wish this large DLC update was optional... as someone who exclusively played the single player portion of this game, they download seems like a waste of bandwidth.

You should upgrade if this is really creating an issue for you.

Steve Jobs could've invented a Portal gun :(