Modern Warfare 3 launch trailer unveiled

By on October 24, 2011, 12:30 PM

Activision and Infinity Ward have released a launch trailer for Modern Warfare 3. The next game in the popular Call of Duty series is just over two weeks away and is expected to be the top selling game of the year, although it faces stiff competition from another anticipated FPS.

Last year’s smash hit Call of Duty: Black Ops set a new record for the video game industry by selling 5.6 million copies on its first day, resulting in $360 million. In August, Activision Blizzard stated during an investor relations call that the Treyarch-developed title had sold 25 million units since its launch in November 2010, making it the best selling video game of all time in financial terms. Furthermore, Modern Warfare 2 has sold 22 million copies since November 2009.

Modern Warfare 3 is being released on November 8 and is expected to be the best selling game of the year. This year’s title is being developed by Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer Games with Activision once again publishing the game. To promote the game, Activision held a two day gaming convention called Call of Duty XP in Los Angeles back in September. Tickets to the event were $150 each which included a free copy of Modern Warfare 3 Hardened Edition when it’s released.

This year could be different for Call of Duty as Electronic Arts will be releasing Battlefield 3 on October 25. An open beta started on September 29, allowing gamers to check out the multiplayer map Operation Metro under the Rush game type.

Will you be purchasing Battlefield 3, Modern Warfare 3 or both? We’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!

ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

I will be purchasing Battlefield 3 for the PC because the game just looks superb on PC. I'll be picking up MW3 for the 360 and the PS3 since all of my friends play those online on both consoles. I wish that CoD Elite was multi-console with one account. I am not going to purchase the damn thing twice because it's not even worth buying once.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

So exactly how much of that was actual game footage? Every game looks like "the best thing since sliced bread" when it's nothing more than a trailer movie.

MW3 -- played 5 minutes of BF3 and it was terrible.

Cueto_99 said:

Battlefield 3 for PC... Nice looking graphics and 32 enemies to shoot at

While I'll be getting this eventually I'm more excited about BF3, as a PC player I apreciate the PC first aproach and tbh am getting sick of the COD formular, they feel like big map packs now with a new campaign each time - **** its the same engine as well!

For me BF3 is bringing more to the table, I love the openess and size of the maps and gamestyle, forcing teamplay over glory hunters.

Oh then we have JETS, freaking JETS! :)

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Wow! Just wow! how the hell do they get away with producing essentially, the same game with a few tweaks? I mean, REALLY?!

To be fair, I know a few guys that are hardcore COD fans and the mechanics of Battlefield not only baffle them, but completely screw with there minds! they're used to small enclosed fields with only a few people.

But even so, If they charge even £20 for this they are asking for to much, same game engine, same vioce actors, same story line, same scripted corridor like levels, even same multi-player formula.

I could understand if this was an expansion pack, but to give it the title "Modern Warfare 3" is simply a joke...

Definitely going for BF3 COD series has good Single player story line generally but I would any day prefer good gameplay & game design over story for long run Single run can only be played once or twice at most..... BF3 ftw

BF3 on PC for the awesome graphics and gameplay, MW3 on 360 as I play that with my friends.

uhh the game hasnt came out yet? beta is not a demo!

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

Pre-ordered Battlefield 3 yesterday. I'll likely never get MW3, as I was sorely disappointed and angry with MW2.

Cueto_99 said:

Battlefield 3 for PC... Nice looking graphics and 32 enemies to shoot at

Yep. Twice the headshots as BFBC2!

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

i'm not a fan of COD, but how did you get all that from the trailer Burty? and do you think it's really as corridor as MW2?

Have you seen any news at all about MW3? Because if you read a bit, you would find that almost everything you just said is wrong. Entirely new game engine, new maps (duh), revamped kill streak system. Definetly not just the same game...EA fanboy

"MW3 -- played 5 minutes of BF3 and it was terrible."

We envy you, you have played the game and we just a beta.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

red1776 said:

Well when the game engine changed from COD2 to MW the trailers started using its current style, if you look back at the older COD engine they were... I don't don't know what the word is just different.

Watching this trailer it felt like MW1 all over again & again & again.

And its not a "New" engine as per Guests argument, MW1 was IW 3.0 MW2 was IW 4.0 and MW3 is "unofficially" IW 5.0.

A new engine wouldn't even be a very similar looking "IW" at all. It would be more of a dramatic change like the changes Epic is making to the Unreal Engine, and they're just calling theres an "upgrade" when they could sell it off as Unreal Engine 4.

I just think they need something fresh, like when they went from COD 2 to MW. Can't they come up with something orginal like they did then?

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

This doesn't look impressive at all

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

I didn't even think that was new. MW felt like you were strapped to a tow rope and they were pulling you through an extended cut scene. I thought I read that the engine was merely enhanced version as well.

MW2 is old tired recycled garbage. No vehicles in multiplayer. Go beyond the call with BF3

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

red1776 said:

Oh No don't get me wrong red! It wasn't new at all, but it was new for COD?

which is why i think they should simply kill this dead horse (that presumably, is being dragged along with a tow rope through several extended cut scenes) and go spend some money on a shiney new horse? sure the discovery of a horse is nothing new but a new horse is certainly better than a dead rotting one that has been pulled one two many cut scenes?

If you get my drift

It was a BETA.

BF3 - "Beyond and Above the Call"

Cota Cota said:

CoD games are totally different than BF games, my cousin uses to stand still in BFBC2, a thing that he does a lot on CoD and works for him. No nee to say i tell him head shot rite before he gets sniped xD

Picking up my pre-ordered copy of BF3 tonight at MIDNIGHT!!!

MW was cod 4

At first I was excited about BF3, but then played the beta and it was extremely boring. I'll wait to see if the maps in the final game are better from reviews. Honestly, I am much more excited about SKYRIM. Once you played these warfare FPS games over the last 5 years+, you've basically played them all. Both of these will have boring short campaigns and nothing that will develop a story with 40-50 hours of gameplay like Witcher 2. I realize it's unfair to compare a FPS to a role-playing game, but Goldeneye and Perfect Dark for N64 had amazing single-player campaigns. On the PC though, 90% of all FPS have horrible single player campaigns. And multi-player, well just not excited about that anymore.

Wow. Wow wow wow wow. I know most bf3 fans are uninformed and full of **** but wow. Of coruse they have the same bloody voice actors in a sequel, that's like saying the Dark knight is the same as Batman Begins because both have Bale, Caine and Freeman in them, Jesus.

A new campaign, new survival, new weapons, new multiplayer modes, revised physics, new maps, new perks, new features and polished visuals is a new game. BF3 plays exactly the same as BF2, barely any different from BC and BC2 yet you act as if it's revolutionised gaming. Grow up.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Oh No don't get me wrong red! It wasn't new at all, but it was new for COD?

If you get my drift

right.

Grow up.

well that was ironic.:p

1) it's just a video game

2) it's completely subjective.

3) How's the benefit package over there at Activision?

Lionvibez said:

Since this is a computer tech site you will find far more people interested in playing BF3 then Call of Recycle 3.

I'm going to try and pickup a copy of BF3 tomorrow in store if the line up isn't to long. I haven't been interested in the COD series since COD4. And I don't plan on going back, whenever I go to my boy place and they are playing MW2 or blackops on either ps3 or 360 and you get some lil puke that is 11 swearing at you like he is king kong I just laugh.

To each his own but COD is no longer for me I prefer to play with adults my own age.

treetops treetops said:

arent these new mw really just expansions since they are for the same old 7 year old consoles?

sad how people argue between MW3 and BF3. its a waste of time, they are too completely different games, and one is currently dominating. if you did not see MW3 introduction for this year E3 event than I provide a link below. I have to say from what I have seen, the game makers focus more of there time on the story line. It is going to be Epic.

Here's the official first Modern Warfare 3 game play at E3.

kN3T7KHGE

Enjoy!

Looks awful. If you don't care about graphics or gameplay, then why even play video games?

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

How MW3's trailer makes the news on Techspot and not Battlefield 3's is absolutely beyond me...

COD is such a wannabe game, their big claim to fame is that they're realistic, but that's bull. Like u would ever use a throwing knife in real warfare. And sniping is way too easy and unrealistic. Whereas battlefields sniping takes skill, and also there are no medics in COD, the reality of battlefield has won me over. BF3 FTW!!!!

Dude you keep saying modern warfare 3 is a repeat and nothing has changed...battlefield 3 is the same i mean its just real world mechanics and building destruction each time so its all the same.

Do we get offline bots that require being online as well ???

;-)

Its nice to see developers out there that are making games just for the young.

While others like DICE are making more mature games just for our more adult taste.

RH00D RH00D said:

lawfer said:

Agreed.

I have played the new MW3 at LA XP and I can honestly say. Its a learning curve just like COD4 to MW2 and it will make experienced players shutter once more until they get the hang of it. And yes, it still seems amazing to me.

-Josh

I can honestly say that I enjoy both games for different reasons. I can say I enjoy BF3 for its single player campaign and frankly thats about it. Their mulitplayer seems to be very unbalanced and crude. For example, I join a BF BC2 game and I notice all the vehicles are gone, the people driving them are very rarely killed and score alot of points. Also when I play solo with random people against a squad of friends, I get absolutely murdered with no chance of a come back. In retrospect comparison to MW2, the odds were much more user friendly. Meaning that, if you were a good player, you had a chance to hold your team up and still win because your a skilled individual. BF BC2 doesn't have that luxury. I also enjoy the single player on MW because it's a movie like experience and I just so happen to enjoy those types of things. I believe that BF3 should be played and enjoyed on the PC due to the much larger player cap, but just don't expect me to mindlessly follow the BF crowd. Medal of Honor was made by the same company and I don't think I have to remind anyone about that gem. I foresee beating the single player campaign in BF3 as well as MW3, but I think overall that MW3 will have the better replay value and my vote.

Thanks for your time

-Josh

fpsgamerJR62 said:

I've already preordered Battlefield 3 for PC and will probably get Modern Warfare 3 too.

jeffz6 said:

Imagine a world without BF & COD, we'd probably end up playing outside.

jonny702 said:

Already have MW3 hardened edition pre-ordered. If I get BF3 it will be strictly for the campaign gameplay. I do not like the multiplayer engine that EA uses. I played MoH and BF3 was way too much like that. MoH was another game with great Campaign and terrible Multiplayer. I'm sure CoD will break it's previous records.

I just can't wait for the games to both be out so all the fan boys will stop with the smack talking and just play whatever game they want

Did you think BF3 was horrible because you can't camp like you can on call of duty? Battlefield is a real man's game, completely realistic.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

lawfer said:

Agreed!

The trailer is awesome! on a couple of the shots I actually struggled to tell the difference between the game and real life!

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

red1776 said:

Oh No don't get me wrong red! It wasn't new at all, but it was new for COD?

If you get my drift

right.

Grow up.

well that was ironic.:p

1) it's just a video game

2) it's completely subjective.

3) How's the benefit package over there at Activision?

Agreed, no need to be so angry Guest, I'm not stating that the entire COD series is rubbish compared to BF, I'm just saying what impression the trailer gave me? Jeesss

3DCGMODELER 3DCGMODELER said:

greedy greedy they are....

I agree the price is way more than it should be....

I will think about the purchase of the game...

Bleah... who cares about a clip with cut-out scenes? I bypass them even in the game itself (when possible). Show the actual game play!

I don't care about either game, to be honest; I just take issue with their claim that it's the "Most Anticipated Game In History." I question their definition of "most anticipated." I could name a half dozen games that, historically speaking, were far more anticipated. MW2 didn't happen long enough ago for this one to gain anticipation of historic proportions. Anyway, I'm pretty certain that both Diablo III and Starcraft II were more anticipated. Heck, even Fallout 3. Possibly the original Fable.

ArjunDhanak212 said:

hmmmm..... i'm just gonna buy both of em about a month after MW3.. my bday is in december......

its so funny to hear u all talk about MW3 vs BF3.

i dont see what the big deal is,u cant argue what game is better and what is not, each person has its own *thing*what it loves,

for me im still playing CSS (not public, only clan wars)

im no CSS fan boy, but i just dont like the other games, and thats that.

CSS is pure tactics. PPL with good tactics own Pro gamers anytime. Seen it in LIVE!

and if u think u cant play css with 64ppl or more, YOU can.