Modern Warfare 3 launch trailer unveiled

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Activision and Infinity Ward have released a launch trailer for Modern Warfare 3. The next game in the popular Call of Duty series is just over two weeks away and is expected to be the top selling game of the year, although it faces stiff competition from another anticipated FPS.

Last year’s smash hit Call of Duty: Black Ops set a new record for the video game industry by selling 5.6 million copies on its first day, resulting in $360 million. In August, Activision Blizzard stated during an investor relations call that the Treyarch-developed title had sold 25 million units since its launch in November 2010, making it the best selling video game of all time in financial terms. Furthermore, Modern Warfare 2 has sold 22 million copies since November 2009.

Modern Warfare 3 is being released on November 8 and is expected to be the best selling game of the year. This year’s title is being developed by Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer Games with Activision once again publishing the game. To promote the game, Activision held a two day gaming convention called Call of Duty XP in Los Angeles back in September. Tickets to the event were $150 each which included a free copy of Modern Warfare 3 Hardened Edition when it’s released.

This year could be different for Call of Duty as Electronic Arts will be releasing Battlefield 3 on October 25. An open beta started on September 29, allowing gamers to check out the multiplayer map Operation Metro under the Rush game type.

Will you be purchasing Battlefield 3, Modern Warfare 3 or both? We’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!

Permalink to story.

I will be purchasing Battlefield 3 for the PC because the game just looks superb on PC. I'll be picking up MW3 for the 360 and the PS3 since all of my friends play those online on both consoles. I wish that CoD Elite was multi-console with one account. I am not going to purchase the damn thing twice because it's not even worth buying once.

So exactly how much of that was actual game footage? Every game looks like "the best thing since sliced bread" when it's nothing more than a trailer movie.

While I'll be getting this eventually I'm more excited about BF3, as a PC player I apreciate the PC first aproach and tbh am getting sick of the COD formular, they feel like big map packs now with a new campaign each time - **** its the same engine as well!

For me BF3 is bringing more to the table, I love the openess and size of the maps and gamestyle, forcing teamplay over glory hunters.

Oh then we have JETS, freaking JETS! :)

Wow! Just wow! how the hell do they get away with producing essentially, the same game with a few tweaks? I mean, REALLY?!

To be fair, I know a few guys that are hardcore COD fans and the mechanics of Battlefield not only baffle them, but completely screw with there minds! they're used to small enclosed fields with only a few people.

But even so, If they charge even £20 for this they are asking for to much, same game engine, same vioce actors, same story line, same scripted corridor like levels, even same multi-player formula.
I could understand if this was an expansion pack, but to give it the title "Modern Warfare 3" is simply a joke...

Definitely going for BF3 COD series has good Single player story line generally but I would any day prefer good gameplay & game design over story for long run Single run can only be played once or twice at most..... BF3 ftw

BF3 on PC for the awesome graphics and gameplay, MW3 on 360 as I play that with my friends.

Pre-ordered Battlefield 3 yesterday. I'll likely never get MW3, as I was sorely disappointed and angry with MW2.
Cueto_99 said:
Battlefield 3 for PC... Nice looking graphics and 32 enemies to shoot at :)
Yep. Twice the headshots as BFBC2!

Wow! Just wow! how the hell do they get away with producing essentially, the same game with a few tweaks? I mean, REALLY?!

To be fair, I know a few guys that are hardcore COD fans and the mechanics of Battlefield not only baffle them, but completely screw with there minds! they're used to small enclosed fields with only a few people.

But even so, If they charge even £20 for this they are asking for to much, same game engine, same vioce actors, same story line, same scripted corridor like levels, even same multi-player formula.
I could understand if this was an expansion pack, but to give it the title "Modern Warfare 3" is simply a joke...

i'm not a fan of COD, but how did you get all that from the trailer Burty? and do you think it's really as corridor as MW2?

Have you seen any news at all about MW3? Because if you read a bit, you would find that almost everything you just said is wrong. Entirely new game engine, new maps (duh), revamped kill streak system. Definetly not just the same game...EA fanboy

"MW3 -- played 5 minutes of BF3 and it was terrible."

We envy you, you have played the game and we just a beta.

red1776 said:

i'm not a fan of COD, but how did you get all that from the trailer Burty? and do you think it's really as corridor as MW2?

Well when the game engine changed from COD2 to MW the trailers started using its current style, if you look back at the older COD engine they were... I don't don't know what the word is just different.

Watching this trailer it felt like MW1 all over again & again & again.

And its not a "New" engine as per Guests argument, MW1 was IW 3.0 MW2 was IW 4.0 and MW3 is "unofficially" IW 5.0.

A new engine wouldn't even be a very similar looking "IW" at all. It would be more of a dramatic change like the changes Epic is making to the Unreal Engine, and they're just calling theres an "upgrade" when they could sell it off as Unreal Engine 4.

I just think they need something fresh, like when they went from COD 2 to MW. Can't they come up with something orginal like they did then?

I just think they need something fresh, like when they went from COD 2 to MW. Can't they come up with something orginal like they did then?

I didn't even think that was new. MW felt like you were strapped to a tow rope and they were pulling you through an extended cut scene. I thought I read that the engine was merely enhanced version as well.

MW2 is old tired recycled garbage. No vehicles in multiplayer. Go beyond the call with BF3

red1776 said:

I didn't even think that was new. MW felt like you were strapped to a tow rope and they were pulling you through an extended cut scene. I thought I read that the engine was merely enhanced version as well.

Oh No don't get me wrong red! It wasn't new at all, but it was new for COD?
which is why i think they should simply kill this dead horse (that presumably, is being dragged along with a tow rope through several extended cut scenes) and go spend some money on a shiney new horse? sure the discovery of a horse is nothing new but a new horse is certainly better than a dead rotting one that has been pulled one two many cut scenes?

If you get my drift ;)

CoD games are totally different than BF games, my cousin uses to stand still in BFBC2, a thing that he does a lot on CoD and works for him. No nee to say i tell him head shot rite before he gets sniped xD

At first I was excited about BF3, but then played the beta and it was extremely boring. I'll wait to see if the maps in the final game are better from reviews. Honestly, I am much more excited about SKYRIM. Once you played these warfare FPS games over the last 5 years+, you've basically played them all. Both of these will have boring short campaigns and nothing that will develop a story with 40-50 hours of gameplay like Witcher 2. I realize it's unfair to compare a FPS to a role-playing game, but Goldeneye and Perfect Dark for N64 had amazing single-player campaigns. On the PC though, 90% of all FPS have horrible single player campaigns. And multi-player, well just not excited about that anymore.

Back