Rockstar announces GTA V, first trailer coming November 2

By on October 25, 2011, 4:00 PM

Confirming months of hearsay, Rockstar Games and Take-Two Interactive have announced that the next installment of Grand Theft Auto is in the pipeline. The companies have posted a teaser page for the upcoming entry, aptly titled Grand Theft Auto V, but details are scant. As of writing, Rockstar's homepage displays the game's logo, which includes the Roman numeral "V" encircled by a banner with the word "Five."

It looks like what you'd expect to find on a bank note, but we're not sure what that means -- if anything. Wikipedia's GTA V entry claims the logo is stylized after British currency, but we haven't been able to confirm that (feel free to comment if you can say otherwise). If true, perhaps that implies the game will be based in England, which would be somewhat of a first for the series (the original had two London expansions).

That doesn't seem particularly farfetched considering GTA has been primarily developed in the UK. Rockstar North (formerly DMA Design), Rockstar Lincoln (formerly Tarantula Studios), and Rockstar Leeds (formerly Mobius Entertainment) are all UK-based and have been responsible for producing virtually every GTA game, barring one Game Boy Advance title and the occasional help from US or Canadian studios.

Hopefully we'll know next Wednesday, November 2 when the company is expect to release the game's first trailer. Regardless of its setting, if past entries are any indication, GTA V will be one of the best-selling games of 2012 -- assuming it isn't poised for a holiday 2011 release. GTA has been a big earner, selling more than 114 million units since 1997. GTA IV and its expansions alone have sold over 28 million copies.

A vast majority of those sales are on consoles as the PC versions of GTA undoubtedly receive less development attention and they tend to feel wonky with a keyboard and mouse. In fact, starting with GTA III, PC versions have routinely received lower review scores. GTA IV in particular had lousy optimization issues at launch. Besides smooth gameplay, what do you hope Rockstar's latest addition will bring to the franchise?

Modena said:

Hopefully they'll make driving fun again in game, god I hated it in GTA4. Oh yeah and better optimize it for PC so I won't need a Xeon X7560 to run the damn game...

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

A friendly warning to guests: it takes infinitely less effort for us to delete your posts than it does for you to type them. Keep that in mind before you start trolling.

mccartercar said:

@ guest You got served!

Also, Heres to hoping that GTA 5 WILL run in an optimized fashion on PC.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Please not another console port!

Yea I bought GTA IV on steam when it was on sale a while ago, I am missing some shader thing :( Couldn't play.

IAMTHESTIG said:

Great news! I was one of the few who really, really enjoyed GTA IV. I have played the single player in full 3 times since I got it. Admittedly though, because of the severe stability and performance issues I didn't buy it until it was about $8 on Steam. It was absolutely worth that money.... I would've paid more if it worked properly.

I have to disagree with modena though, I think the driving in 4 was excellent. All the cars behaved as expected, such as RWD cars vs FWD. The physics were somewhat realistic but not too realistic to take the fun out of it. I spent hours and hours just driving for fun. I also had a strange fascination with getting the car that looked like a Ferrari F430 and smashing the front end up so bad both the front wheels were completely locked up, but because it was mid-engined it was still driving even with the front end destroyed. Simple pleasures I guess....

I am a lover of big, open environments where you can seamlessly travel across it... this was always one of my favorite things about the GTA games was just the huge environment. And the attention to detail in 4 was excellent, making it feel like a real city, and all the destructible objects just made it better.

I hope we see a lot of these things in GTA 5, except the performance issues. It could also use a better story, but I had enough fun with the game to forgive the story shortcomings. I know not everyone is like me and must have a good story though...

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

Here's hoping for a successful PC release... if they decide to make one. After all, if they are going to release it a year after consoles and not even bother to optimize it, then better not make one.

PS: Lol, good one Matt.

Emin3nce said:

I like it how, instead of just having V and letting the customers come to the realization that V means five, they even dumbed it down and put the word 'five' there.

The funny part is, they probably need to.

HURR SMASH AND KILL AND CARS AND NASCAR N 'MERICA THU GREATEST!!!

BMfan BMfan said:

Awesome can't wait.

One of the best console series i have played.

DokkRokken said:

When I played GTA4, I had to wonder where all the mayhem went. Instead of grabbing flamethrowers to make my own fireworks, I was grabbing my 'brother' to go ogle rendered strippers. Fun... fun... fun...

Instead of being able to jump out of a plane, land next to a golf cart, and run from the entire National Guard, I was able to... watch Kat Williams? Yay... I guess...

It just felt like I was running errands, albeit ones where many people ended up dead. But I never had fun doing it. It was as if Rockstar had made a checklist of all the things people loved about Vice City and San Andreas, shredded it, and then told those people to go buy Saints Row 2 instead.

Not to mention the horrible porting issues, and constant crashes I experienced on my modern PC. It appears many people still experience problems today.

I'm looking forward to this trailer though, and I really want to like GTA5 when it comes out. But until then, I have Saints Row: The Third, I guess.

At this point, my only wish would be that a PC version would actually be available... each release the PC version gets worse with less sales, and I'm not sure that I can convince myself to get a console, just don't see it happening :)

thewind said:

@ DokkRokken I cant wait for saints row the third to!!!!!

Ok so I dont stray to far off subject... The only thing I didn't like about GTA4 was how bad the faces were. Especially when you had so many cut sceens that showed them up close.

I was under the impresshion that GTA5 wouldn't come out on the PS3 could this mean the PS4 is right around the corrner? I really hope they implement Directx11 (tesselation) into GTA5 making the faces better and more distruction with cars like wheels flying off! I really liked the car parts everywhere in saints row 2!

Some of you didn't like the story in GTA4 did you guys ever pay they expansions aka Ballad of Gay Tony? and were they better or worse to you?

Anyway I am very excited to see the trailer and cant wait to see how the graphics look.

Awesome, can't wait for the trailer.

Its about time, Call of Duty is out every year getting it done. We gotta wait for years before we get another GTA

DokkRokken said:

In fairness though, GTA typically isn't rehashed dreck.

Really ready for GTA V.... Feels like I've been waiting for years... They should make one every two years in fairness to us, their fans

I'll take san andreas gameplay (maybe in a different setting) with current gen graphics. That is all.

I never understood how GTA4 ran fine on my PS3 but lagged on my computer which had hardware about 10x as powerful as my PS3. Hopefully that doesn't happen with GTA5. I also hope they actually release it on PC. I've been playing GTA on PC since the GTA (1).

Whoever said that about Call of Duty... COD gets a new story every year, released as a "new game". RockStar creates an entirely new game with every GTA release...

I would love this game to be set in the future!!!!! **** the 70's and the 60's go to the 2030's

You should pay them $60 in advance, in fairness to the developers. It's not like the spent $100 million making their last game....oh wait.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Julio said:

PS: Lol, good one Matt.

Dang, forgot about that year delay. Grumble. Grumble.

Of course technically I still need to finish GTA IV, that helicopter jumping bug screwed me over at the last second, giving me the gaming analogy of "the penguin".

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Am I the only one that thinks GTA IV sucked?

I loved Vice City and San Andreas; IV tried too hard to be realistic.

waterproof said:

It will blow other games out of the water, including over-hyped Call of Duty ;-)

waterproof said:

of course it had to be realistic, it was the first release for them on the new console (ps3/xbox360)! at the time

Come on make it a Wii U launch title! Give it some nice exclusive second screen content too. Do it!

i am sorry to post on this thread but when will battlefield 3 performance review will come i am eager to see that just checking techspot website about every 10 min.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

lawfer said:

Am I the only one that thinks GTA IV sucked?

I loved Vice City and San Andreas; IV tried too hard to be realistic.

I 100% totally agree, I loved San Andreas because of the way it played, the latest one felt too real which is not a good thing when it comes to GTA. It felt like they had replaced some fun for realism

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I am in the same boat as you! eagerly awaiting for it to pop up as well!

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

If the gameplay rumours are true, boy i can't wait!

GTA 3 for me was the best. The main character didnt utter a word, and left you to put ya thoughts in place of them. And it was mafia like, fun and silly in places.

Vice city was alright but too pink. And i wasnt a fan of the maps really.

San Andreas was huge. You felt you bought a great big game full of gta fun but sometimes driving through all that countryside was just dang tedious. And I was awful at that remote control plane level that infuriated me for what seemed like an eternity.

GTA 4 was pretty cool. Some good and bad points. Some cars fun to drive some awful. Too much realism? Maybe. Clothes shops with awful clothes that make you think, why did you bother adding shops if you were going to fill them with such limited crap?

I believe GTA belongs at home on the playstation, xbox can go swing, but then i also love it on pc and hope too like many here its not an awful port.

The community of gta providing mods and funky new cars is just amazing. Makes you wonder why rockstar cant make them that nice and shiny in the first place.

Hopefully GTA5 will rock though we will have to wait and see if the london setting is both true and well done. The Getaway on the PS2 was a good london gangster game.

Lets start on a rumor about the obligatory pet that will be obtained after the mission where your ex dies in a fire and you adopt it in her memory. But remember to return to your safe house to walk and feed it or it will die thus ending the game. Realism can be fun :)

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Vice city was alright but too pink. And i wasnt a fan of the maps really.

It was the voice acting and music what made Vice City for me; Stepping onto that moped for the first time when MJ's Billie Jean kicks in was just great. Plus Ray Liotta owned the role of Tommy Vercetti.

SA was just an envelope pusher IMO, that obviously went too far because of the shear amount of annoying bugs it has. Still an ok game though.

Brock Samson said:

I miss the parachute...

BMfan BMfan said:

I loved the size of GTA-SA ,i missed that in GTA IV.

Rockstar North is based in Edinburgh, Scotland. Not England. Both Countries are in the UK, which would have been the correct terminology to use (UK, or United Kingdom is the more official term, whilst England/Scotland/Wales/Northern Ireland is generally used for more colloquial discussion, or when relating specifically to that particular country).

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

BMfan said:

I loved the size of GTA-SA ,i missed that in GTA IV.

I was a sophomore in high school when the events of SA took place. And living in LA, that game was awesome in terms of scope and the nostalgia factor. The music and everything was awesome.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

Duly noted. I've updated the post.