Rumor: 2.5GHz quad core powered HTC Zeta breaks cover

By Lee Kaelin on November 16, 2011, 10:30 AM

Details have begun to emerge of what could be an upcoming handset from HTC, named the Zeta. The imagery and specifications were leaked to Engadget, which reported on it yesterday. It is still unclear whether the details of the smartphone are a design concept or if this will be HTC's next flagship model.

The phone measures 4.32 x 2.4 x 0.39 inches (109.8 x 60.9 x 9.8mm), weighing 5.15 ounces (146g) and is a real departure from previous more rounded designs from the Taiwanese-based manufacturer. It features a squarer look with a curved rear cover that appears to thin towards the top and bottom. The front is dominated by what is believed to be a 4.5-inch 1280x720-pixel HD display, with four capacitive buttons across the bottom.

Moving on to the hardware, the handset is said to pack a Qualcomm Snapdragon 2.5GHz quad-core APQ8064 processor, a full gig of RAM, 32GB of on-board storage, Bluetooth 4.0, and a 1,830mAh battery. The rear cover features an 8MP camera paired with what looks like dual LED flash, while a 1.3MP camera sits on the front.

The device would run Android's Ice Cream Sandwich reselease with HTC's Sense UI layered on top, most likely version 4.0. Interestingly, it appears that the firm has decided not to part with the capacitive buttons on upcoming releases despite ICS not requiring them. It will also be Beats Audio compatible like the HTC Edge.

With double the clock speed of the soon to be announced Samsung Nexus handset, it certainly makes for an interesting comparison. Samsung's current flagship model, the Galaxy S2 for example features a considerably less powerful 1.2GHz dual core processor.

HTC also recently announced plans to offer customers purchasing new handsets 5GB of free storage with the popular cloud-storage platform, Dropbox. New handsets will come with the Dropbox app pre-loaded, ready for immediate use once signed up.

herpaderp said:

I guess the new 28nm proc really turned out well if they're going for the full 2.5GHz clocks on a quadcore right out of the gate. Can't wait to see other SoC maker's implementations.

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

In 5-10 years we will probably be able to run BF3 on our phones :P The CPU's will as powerful as the current mid/high range desktop cpus :P

Same goes for the GPU chips.

Zecias said:

How long is it gonna take for it to run out of batteries? >.>

captainawesome captainawesome said:

Is anyone a big fan of HTC phones? Are they good? I'm wondering because I've never really had the chance to play with one?

Mikymjr Mikymjr said:

Have a HTC HD that's been running longer then 3 years. I still have it running on the same battery =p

Mikymjr Mikymjr said:

before i forget, it went through a lot. It fell a couple of times and i think 2 years ago it fell out of my younger brothers pocket on tarmac while drivin a seriously beefed up scooter. It has a nasty deep scratch on the bottom, but everything else works fine =p

One nice thing about the rounded corners is to dissipate force when it's accidentally dropped. I wonder how well these will hold up to a good smack on the corner.

the problem is the battery but if they manage to use the double size of the droid Razr battery with one of this...no mames would be nice to have a very slim battery with 3500mah

Scshadow said:

2.5 ghz quad core? Really? That is quite a jump in specs from any current gen phone.

I have an HTC Droid Incredible and in my opinion HTC is one of the top 3 Android Phone producers if not the best.

princeton princeton said:

Well they're not even in the top 3 when it comes to shipments despite producing phones more frequently than other manufacturers. So I guess the general consensus is that they're far from the best.

But hey. Enjoy 24fps launcher transitions and 18bit screens.

veLa veLa said:

Sounds phony (no pun).

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

If only they made apps capable of using more than one core...

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'm not a "big fan" of their phones, but I did buy two HTC Evo 3D 4G phones. If I walked into the store again, with Apple and Samsung's latest offering, I'd probably pick the HTC again. This phone as been reliable and it has the hardware, performance, and features that I was looking for. Battery life has been acceptable as well.

princeton princeton said:

9Nails said:

You wouldn't buy the superior in nearly every area SGS II?

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

IMO its more likely to see a 1.5GHZ quad not a 2.5GZ one the rest of the specs look ok and if this phone comes to verizon i will jump on it HTC makes great phones.

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

How do I find out when this will be released?

baroquer said:

How many GB RAM will it have ?

"How many GB RAM will it have ?"

baroquer, you should ALWAYS read the article before posting. As per the article, it will have 1GB of ram.

very hard to believe it'll be a 2.5ghz quad core, that'd make it more powerful than most common desktops! i also dont see the need in 2012 for a quadcore @ 2.5ghz??? that thing would chew through battery life ridiculously quick! more likely a 1.5ghz quad core which would still be badass!

herpaderp said:

^ The 4 cores don't run full blast 24/7, they only use those cores/clocks when the workload calls for it. On phones, that really means anytime you're doing anything other than playing games, you likely aren't using more than 1-2 cores.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Not really ever using more than one core though? So far, no app or OS (although I believe iOS is multi-core aware) actually uses more than one core? I believe in the processor architecture it'll load balence the cores to the relavent needed supply of commands but as far as I'm aware no mobile software can actually take control of more than one core?

I also a Huge fan with HTC with the G1, Evo 4G and now the Evo 3D underneath my belt. It definitely the top 3 Android manufacturer and one of the better UI with Sense. But Samsung look very enticing with 4.5, 5.3 screen option, lighter overall, GPS SirfStar 4 chipset (No one has this, not even Garmin or TomTom), Barometer, Super Amoled Plus screen and the beautiful no physical button, Nexus Prime. The only fault is it touch wiz UI, but rooted and throw in a custom Rom will fix that. I probably will jump ship on my next phone. Tell me if I'm wrong?