Trivia Tuesday: Facts about Windows Live Messenger

By on March 27, 2012, 10:30 AM

Microsoft's extremely popular Windows Live Messenger has been one of the most successful services to carry the Windows Live branding. It will be an integral part of Windows 8 too, with the Messaging app being embedded into the Metro interface. Just how much do you know about Windows Live Messenger though? Neowin has posted another of its Trivia Tuesday features with facts and statistics about the service.

MSN Messenger was the original name used for the service, and the first client was launched on July 22, 1999. According to Microsoft, it was integrated well with Internet Explorer 5 and Outlook Express 5.

320 kB was the original file size of the client according to Microsoft's launch press release. Today the application consumes around 25 MB; the app to download WLM consumes more space than the original client.

The current version of Windows Live Messenger (2011)

The Windows Live Messenger branding was incorporated in December of 2005, ditching the MSN (originally Microsoft Network) name after six years. Despite Microsoft having ditched the MSN branding for the majority of its products, msn.com is still the 16th most visited website according to Alexa.

Read the rest of the article.
This article is brought to you in partnership with Neowin.

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

Yea, and I use Miranda IM because it supports most protocols there are and in 2012 it's executable size is 800KB (The DLL for MSN it uses is 253KB and the ICQ DLL is 332KB)

It seems like the current trend is to brag about how bloated your software is, meh!

DanUK DanUK said:

I stopped using MSN probably about 2 years ago or so as myself and most other people i know moved over to facebook and their messaging system. Don't get me wrong i think MSN/WLM is a good program but there was no point me logging onto a chat client with 0 buddies online! I wonder how sucessful this "resurrection" (as it is in my eyes) will be.

lipe123 said:

The msn <-> facebook link is really iffy and all the contacts get doubled. Still I despise FB and would rather deal with the crappy link between the two than move to FB.

Lionvibez said:

i'm still using the 2009 version.

The 2011 version is awful it looks like its trying to be facebook.

I won't touch it

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

Trillian all the way, MS' Messenger has been a bloated piece of software for years.

I still have it but trimmed it down with some hacks..It use to be awesome before they bloated it out... Only have a few people on it now...Most are on Facebook..... When will they ever learn bloat kills...Killed Norton...Killed AVG...

Hopefully Microsoft Security Essentials stays bloat free

Is this an Anti-Microsoft website? I have been visiting for a few weeks and notice that every time there is a Microsoft story it gets flooded with negative comments from the community and the writers seem to have a bit of bias against them. Just asking because I think I may need to leave if this is the case. I believe that all companies that produce good products and services should receive their due credit. Thanks in advance for answering.

Rasta211 said:

ICQ was better than MSN! But everyone used MSN become it came with windows! Dam you MSN I will never forget that ICQ had offline messaging before you!

nismo91 said:

the first msnmsgr.exe that i used was version 6.2 in 2004. Co-incidentally, I just uninstalled the 2011 WLM from all of my machines last week. It's time to move on i guess, here in se asia most of my friends are either on blackberry or whatsapp or facebook. the good ol pic sharing, voice note, winks from WLM are getting obsolete. not to mention, i still receive spam invitation every once in a while.

You just read my mind. I really dread the day I would have to go back to the "free" commercial programs, I still don't understand why most people pay for virus software, if only they'd learn not to browse the internet on an admin account...