Next gen Xbox to include two GPUs, four or six-core processor

By on April 3, 2012, 8:30 AM

Microsoft’s Xbox 720 will ship with two GPUs in a configuration that one source likened to taping two PCs together. The gaming console is now expected to ship in time for the 2013 holiday buying season, VG247 has learned.

The dual graphics configuration is expected to be equivalent to AMD’s 7000 series cores although it won’t operate in traditional Crossfire or SLI where the workload is split between two or more cards. Instead, Microsoft’s solution will be able to work independently and draw separate items at the same time.

The next generation console will feature four or six cores, with one being reserved for the operating system and another used to power the Kinect motion-sensing accessory. Speaking of Kinect, it will be integrated into the 720 rather than as an add-on like the one used for the 360. Another change will require an always-on Internet connection as part of an anti-piracy measure. Gamers without an Internet connection are seemingly out of luck. Oh, and there will be a Blu-ray player as well.

It would seem that next generation Xbox rumors are being churned out at a rate that would rival the latest Apple gadget. Late last month it was reported that Redmond is planning to launch a Lite version of the Xbox in 2013 ahead of the 720. This budget console would use an ARM processor and could possibly launch without a hard drive, instead relying solely on cloud storage.

Either way, we will have to wait until next year before we hear anything official from Microsoft.

always on internet.....

now if only ps3 can do this....

then maybe we can get a third big contender who doesnt want internet at all times.

j05hh j05hh said:

Always -on internet connection?

That's ridiculous. So much for "offline" play. I hope they change this.

EXCellR8 EXCellR8, The Conservative, said:

They wont change it... it's a Microsoft product remember?

j05hh j05hh said:

oh yeah.. what was I thinking...

i dont think having to be always online is bad, i mean it works, look at starcraft 2 or steam. just login, tell the game/service "hey bro im legit", then be on your way to play. and if you cant get online, you can play the single player stuff which is cool

now for the bad side im worried about, we've seen it with some ubisoft games where their drm where you have to be online all the time service goes down, no one plays. anything, not even single player stuff. which is dumb. thats what we have to worry about imo. Also locking out content if you dont login online, stuff like that

how much energy? this sure will be expensive and you will pay for everything that the console needs: hard drive, batteries, cables, etc etc...sound good but knowing microsoft this wont be cheap. but if sony dont get what the ppl need...the new xbox surely will be the next winner

People without internet connections and concerned parents that don't want there kids connected to the Internet, guess what, NO GAMES FOR YOU!

Another FAIL from ms, an always-on Internet connection is ridiculous.

no more xbox for me if this is true

ryanb2145 said:

"You guys on this website are such Microsoft haters. Why does TechSpot bother posting Microsoft news when it is obvious that no one on this site is interested in anything they do other than finding something negative to say. I say TechSpot should just omit all news related to Microsoft to solve this problem. Just my 2 cents. :-)"

We, or I at least, don't hate microsoft. We just don't agree with constantly having to use internet data in order to play a VIDEO game. In the end, more people will not buy this console than people will pay for each and every game they can play for this console. There's only so much the consumer is willing to put up with. Clearly this has been steered away from people who don't have much money to spend on games. They want to nickel and dime every person who has the money and is WILLING to throw their money away at something like this. THAT's why many people are agitated.

Who got this information?

In a previous article it was mentioned that an x-box/microsoft rep was interviewed and said there is no way a blu-ray player will be in a microsoft console unit. Microsoft is VERY anti-blu-ray, they don't believe in physical/optical media any more (Win8 buying apps instead of software discs a perfect example of that).

So is the previous news article and the microsoft rep mis-quoted erronious information, or is this one made up?

Microsoft will never have a blu-ray optical reader in their consoles (unless, they then do in fact, admit total defeat on their HDDVD backing). In fact, I'm betting there will be no disc system at all (or if so, just dvd like the current crap-box) in the next console.

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

i like everything except the always on internet. I already have my xbox living round someones elses house as i am rarely at home with my net connection and my missus doesn't have broadband. At least currently if I really wanted to I could play it offline but an always connected console? Not good. Internet goes down? No gaming for you. Just when you could really use something to keep you busy.

And I am not a Microsoft hater.

ryanb2145 said:

If M$ servers go down, or my isp goes down, I should be able to play a game. bottom line. end of story. M$ does not support that for the sole purpose of taking your money. I'm sorry we don't love M$

Ranger12 Ranger12 said:

This site has been accused of being anti apple and now anti Microsoft. I have a hard time believing either.

"Well def a step up from the 6770 that was rumored earlier. If it turns out to require an Internet connection at all times I won't buy it just to cast my vote of dissaproval."

Exactly. I'll be sure to tell everyone I know that plays games that this console will require a constant internet connection to simply play a video game and why. I'll then suggest that they should not buy it :)

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

If there's 2 7970's in there then I may consider it...

Scshadow said:

Rumors keep getting more and more stupid. Make it stop, my head is hurting.

howzz1854 said:

this looks like a very good next gen console.. i would buy one except i already have a HTPC hooked up to my big screen tv with home theater setup and blue ray and a HD79XX graphics. it would just be a waste of money for me. but props to microsoft for making a big advance. i specially like the dual GPU core solution that operates independently, and obviously the 6 core solution. if they can sell that all for less than $400 that would be a steal.

yRaz yRaz said:

I have a feeling the next few years are going to be rough for M$. It seems like they are telling us what we should like instead of giving us what we want. This always on DRM will kill console sales. I don't mind at all, I hate consoles, but I know people who get most of their entertainment from an xbox(or consoles). They don't have a fancy computer or even a DVD player. I know people who have an xbox BECAUSE they don't have an internet connection.

I think M$ might have to put BR in the 720 just to draw sales away from the PS3/what ever's next. You get all kinds of problems with digital only sales and it's kinda of hard to stream(and store) 1080p video. If it turns out to have two GPU's then they might run into an interesting problem. It would raise the price but, much like laptops, they'd have to reduce performance to match power consumption as well. It could end up more expensive with worse graphics than similar PC offerings.

Tygerstrike said:

I agree that always online will be a giant pain in the a$$. I enjoy playing PinballFX2 on my 360. But if my internet goes down I cant play any of the pinball tables w/o online verification that I have purchased them. It makes playing your consol VERY difficult. I know MS is trying to make a system that maximizes their profit margin, but to screw out a good chunk of customers with no older games played on the new system and no used games, makes MS seem like the big bad bully. Play our way or dont play at all. Im not a MS hater, I just feel that ppl should be allowed to enjoy the older games or the rented games w/o having to sacrafice the original money put out for those games.

Used video games sales topped over 6bil last I looked. Seems MS just wants a piece of that pie more then anything.

Ranger1st Ranger1st said:

simple solution.. PC.

UT66 said:

most likely scenario:

the "4 core cpu" > a SOC of the current 360 (3 core cpu + gpu)

the "2 gpus" > an extra crappy amd gpu + the old one @ soc

so basically, shrink the old 360 and just add 1 low end gpu (320SPUs) with maybe 1gbddr5. perfect backwards comp, cheap, and it looks good on paper for the regular joe (2 gpus? so is twice as fast!)

ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

slh28 said:

If there's 2 7970's in there then I may consider it...

Somehow I doubt this. An earlier article stated that the GPU would likely be a 6850, which would be about a 7750 for the 7000 series. Even in crossfire (which the article said it wouldn't), I wouldn't want this system.

I will NEVER be online at all times! You will never see a dime from me ever again if you pull off this sh!t.

Steam Already has internet only game usage!!!! Valve has over 25 Million Subscribers and an average of 4 million people using steam every day. Chill out people! Sometime I think people are simply looking for a reason to jump ship as quickly as possible...

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

Microsoft's statements are getting to be quite hilarious, just like the FBI's statements.

Ok well not that bad.

3DCGMODELER 3DCGMODELER said:

noboby will really know till it is out on the market...

3DCGMODELER 3DCGMODELER said:

oh ya I have a PS3... anyways

killeriii said:

Valve and Steam users are PC gamers. Usually a much different breed than Console gamers.

And I would expect a PC to always have an Internet connection. Not so with a console.

Like some previous posters stated, not every parent is keen on giving their child an unattended Internet connection.

treetops treetops said:

part of the reason people buy consoles over a pc is because they do not have the internet

jafo818 said:

So you turn off your modem most of the time? Do you turn off your wireless too? Do you game with a tin foil hat on?

@ryanb2145, You have a valid point and seem to be one of the most sensible people in this forum. I just noticed that everytime there is an article posted with anything Microsoft related it seems to get destroyed as soon as it is posted. It runs people people in the middle like me away because the views here seem to be so extreme. I guess that is why I have not committed to stay by opening a permanent account yet. LOL

And it will cost 1000$ if all the rumors about this thing were to be true.

Butch said:

Good luck with this you kiddie console gamers. Maybe you can ask your mom and dad for a raise in your allowance to cover the internet connection? Oh, or mow a few yards for some extra money?

grvalderrama said:

Imagine a hack attack when everybody is connected playing some game... Major MS failure!

@ butch

Your stereotype couldn't be farther from the truth. While I am still a PC gamer, all my friends have completely abandoned PC gaming when they started to earn decent $. Instead of living with their moms and playing on a 24 inch "loot" $2k PC rigs as they did in university, they got $700-800k houses, $2-5k sound systems, 55-60 inch plasma TVs, leather couches and consoles. Now we regularly smash beers or cognac XO while playing multi-player games at least once a week. It's a lot of fun. My group of friends also drive cars from M3 to X6M to Audi S5, travel all over Asia and Europe regularly. One of us is thinking of getting a 911. We are all under 30, professionals (bankers, lawyers, accountants). Actually, from my own observation, most PC gamers are not wealthy. Ironically I tend to find people with the lowest incomes having high-end rigs because that's all they can afford in life. People with a lot of $ blow it on much bigger things and because they value time, they don't care to tinker with CF drivers that don't work properly, or dealing with any bugs on the PC. They just want to come home after work and play.

Obviously a lot of console gamers are kids too, but your generalization is certainly not true.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Dear Microsoft good luck with sales, my eyes are looking elsewhere.

Sorry Microsoft, if I am going to play an off-line game then I want my machine to play the game off-line. I see no need in connecting my machine unless I plan on playing an on-line game. This on-line connection requirement is giving the sales pitch a purchasing deterrent.

By the way Microsoft, there is such a thing as people who don't have Internet. I hope you are not trying to sell your console to them.

ikesmasher said:

1.) steam would have even more users without internet requirement

2.) Most of steams games require internet to acquire in the first place

3.) i had another bigger point but i forgot what is was?

alcarin2030 alcarin2030 said:

ghasmanjr said:

slh28 said:

If there's 2 7970's in there then I may consider it...

It is not running like crossfire or SLI. It is running different processes separately, which is extremely efficient.

And what has ever been cheap about the most expensive console ever ps3 $750. BUCKS when it first launched here in Canada, and today its still more expensive than XBOX360. ps3 that can't properly play AAA games like Skyrim, and Black Ops has been reported as a poor multiplayer on ps3, and numerous other titles that just wonte work properly on ps3. But as we all know all new console are expensive and there are buyers who don't seem to care, they just want the latest and greatest NOW! I personaly don't believe this reported rumor about XBOX 720 coming Holidays 2013. I have heard Microsoft reps say they will not (with the tone of "never will") use Bluray on any future XBOX's. Sounded to me like Microsoft is not interested in sony making money off Microsoft's success. sony ps3 never made a dime in all the years its been out (5.1/2yrs). sony been sued so many times over ps3 and then Hacked to Death so bad they had to rebuild their internet security that cost multiple millions and then after the rebuilt security sony got hacked again, this time 96 thousand accounts hacked last Sept 2011. sony being sued buy 100s in class action lawsuits over their psn hacked customers. sony ps3 is going down as the worst most expensive nightmare that any company could ever come up with, and alls their customers want even today is free-bee's from sony all the time. But like I said from years past has proven that all new generation consoles are expensive at first (some like ps3 stay expensive, compared to XB360 and Wii consoles).

sapo joe said:

So, if I want to play videogames on a country house without internet, I won't be able to play?

GREAT! I'm buying another PC...

Tygerstrike said:

@Butch

You are so far off base its not even funny. I choose to not play on PC because of the continuing costs of upgrading your computer. I bought my xbox360 and I only paid for it once. Your sterotyping just goes to show how limited your understanding is in the differences between PC and Console. Some of us dont feel its right to have to drop 150 on a video card. Or have to upgrade your memory everytime a flashier game comes out. Also I put in 11-12hr days standing on my feet. I would rather come home kick of my shoes and toss Mass Effect 3 in and veg on the couch then be hunched over a computer for the same amount of time.

You all know you will buy it. What MS doesn't seem to get is that we will all crack the **** out of it, remove the online only feature and play downloaded games. This is DRM run amok.

This cannot stand, man.

You have to be online to play the games? See.... that's why people are going back to PC where a single crack will stop Ubisoft's demand for an internet connection. Have fun console fanboys!

Btw, can you you render that HD movie or 3D model on that iPad, iPhone or console of yours? Just saying...

They are just rumors!!! Seriously when will you kids stop kicking off about every story that gets put online?!

People sound like they are talking they have to buy the console. They don't like always on internet. I don't like it either, that's why i won't be buying one if that is the way it's going to be. We have many devices that play games now, why would we settle for this? If we don't buy, they don't sell. If they don't sell, they re-think. If they don't re-think, they lose money. Companies hate to lose money. The other thing we can do is... go out side, talk to our friends face to face, go to a movie, take up a sport. Ps3 and xbox 360 are **** consoles. Update this, download that, pay for this, pay for that. My super Nintendo never looked so good. Game in console, check, power on, check, playing game in under 30 seconds? Crazy.