Next gen Xbox to include two GPUs, four or six-core processor

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft’s Xbox 720 will ship with two GPUs in a configuration that one source likened to taping two PCs together. The gaming console is now expected to ship in time for the 2013 holiday buying season, VG247 has learned.

The dual graphics configuration is expected to be equivalent to AMD’s 7000 series cores although it won’t operate in traditional Crossfire or SLI where the workload is split between two or more cards. Instead, Microsoft’s solution will be able to work independently and draw separate items at the same time.

The next generation console will feature four or six cores, with one being reserved for the operating system and another used to power the Kinect motion-sensing accessory. Speaking of Kinect, it will be integrated into the 720 rather than as an add-on like the one used for the 360. Another change will require an always-on Internet connection as part of an anti-piracy measure. Gamers without an Internet connection are seemingly out of luck. Oh, and there will be a Blu-ray player as well.

It would seem that next generation Xbox rumors are being churned out at a rate that would rival the latest Apple gadget. Late last month it was reported that Redmond is planning to launch a Lite version of the Xbox in 2013 ahead of the 720. This budget console would use an ARM processor and could possibly launch without a hard drive, instead relying solely on cloud storage.

Either way, we will have to wait until next year before we hear anything official from Microsoft.

Permalink to story.

always on internet.....

now if only ps3 can do this....
then maybe we can get a third big contender who doesnt want internet at all times.

Always -on internet connection?

That's ridiculous. So much for "offline" play. I hope they change this.

You guys on this website are such Microsoft haters. Why does TechSpot bother posting Microsoft news when it is obvious that no one on this site is interested in anything they do other than finding something negative to say. I say TechSpot should just omit all news related to Microsoft to solve this problem. Just my 2 cents. :)

i dont think having to be always online is bad, i mean it works, look at starcraft 2 or steam. just login, tell the game/service "hey bro im legit", then be on your way to play. and if you cant get online, you can play the single player stuff which is cool

now for the bad side im worried about, we've seen it with some ubisoft games where their drm where you have to be online all the time service goes down, no one plays. anything, not even single player stuff. which is dumb. thats what we have to worry about imo. Also locking out content if you dont login online, stuff like that

how much energy? this sure will be expensive and you will pay for everything that the console needs: hard drive, batteries, cables, etc etc...sound good but knowing microsoft this wont be cheap. but if sony dont get what the ppl need...the new xbox surely will be the next winner

People without internet connections and concerned parents that don't want there kids connected to the Internet, guess what, NO GAMES FOR YOU!

Another FAIL from ms, an always-on Internet connection is ridiculous.

no more xbox for me if this is true

"You guys on this website are such Microsoft haters. Why does TechSpot bother posting Microsoft news when it is obvious that no one on this site is interested in anything they do other than finding something negative to say. I say TechSpot should just omit all news related to Microsoft to solve this problem. Just my 2 cents. :)"

We, or I at least, don't hate microsoft. We just don't agree with constantly having to use internet data in order to play a VIDEO game. In the end, more people will not buy this console than people will pay for each and every game they can play for this console. There's only so much the consumer is willing to put up with. Clearly this has been steered away from people who don't have much money to spend on games. They want to nickel and dime every person who has the money and is WILLING to throw their money away at something like this. THAT's why many people are agitated.

Who got this information?
In a previous article it was mentioned that an x-box/microsoft rep was interviewed and said there is no way a blu-ray player will be in a microsoft console unit. Microsoft is VERY anti-blu-ray, they don't believe in physical/optical media any more (Win8 buying apps instead of software discs a perfect example of that).
So is the previous news article and the microsoft rep mis-quoted erronious information, or is this one made up?
Microsoft will never have a blu-ray optical reader in their consoles (unless, they then do in fact, admit total defeat on their HDDVD backing). In fact, I'm betting there will be no disc system at all (or if so, just dvd like the current crap-box) in the next console.

i like everything except the always on internet. I already have my xbox living round someones elses house as i am rarely at home with my net connection and my missus doesn't have broadband. At least currently if I really wanted to I could play it offline but an always connected console? Not good. Internet goes down? No gaming for you. Just when you could really use something to keep you busy.

And I am not a Microsoft hater.

If M$ servers go down, or my isp goes down, I should be able to play a game. bottom line. end of story. M$ does not support that for the sole purpose of taking your money. I'm sorry we don't love M$

Well def a step up from the 6770 that was rumored earlier. If it turns out to require an Internet connection at all times I won't buy it just to cast my vote of dissaproval.

This site has been accused of being anti apple and now anti Microsoft. I have a hard time believing either.

"Well def a step up from the 6770 that was rumored earlier. If it turns out to require an Internet connection at all times I won't buy it just to cast my vote of dissaproval."

Exactly. I'll be sure to tell everyone I know that plays games that this console will require a constant internet connection to simply play a video game and why. I'll then suggest that they should not buy it :)

this looks like a very good next gen console.. i would buy one except i already have a HTPC hooked up to my big screen tv with home theater setup and blue ray and a HD79XX graphics. it would just be a waste of money for me. but props to microsoft for making a big advance. i specially like the dual GPU core solution that operates independently, and obviously the 6 core solution. if they can sell that all for less than $400 that would be a steal.

I have a feeling the next few years are going to be rough for M$. It seems like they are telling us what we should like instead of giving us what we want. This always on DRM will kill console sales. I don't mind at all, I hate consoles, but I know people who get most of their entertainment from an xbox(or consoles). They don't have a fancy computer or even a DVD player. I know people who have an xbox BECAUSE they don't have an internet connection.

I think M$ might have to put BR in the 720 just to draw sales away from the PS3/what ever's next. You get all kinds of problems with digital only sales and it's kinda of hard to stream(and store) 1080p video. If it turns out to have two GPU's then they might run into an interesting problem. It would raise the price but, much like laptops, they'd have to reduce performance to match power consumption as well. It could end up more expensive with worse graphics than similar PC offerings.

I agree that always online will be a giant pain in the a$$. I enjoy playing PinballFX2 on my 360. But if my internet goes down I cant play any of the pinball tables w/o online verification that I have purchased them. It makes playing your consol VERY difficult. I know MS is trying to make a system that maximizes their profit margin, but to screw out a good chunk of customers with no older games played on the new system and no used games, makes MS seem like the big bad bully. Play our way or dont play at all. Im not a MS hater, I just feel that ppl should be allowed to enjoy the older games or the rented games w/o having to sacrafice the original money put out for those games.
Used video games sales topped over 6bil last I looked. Seems MS just wants a piece of that pie more then anything.

most likely scenario:
the "4 core cpu" > a SOC of the current 360 (3 core cpu + gpu)
the "2 gpus" > an extra crappy amd gpu + the old one @ soc

so basically, shrink the old 360 and just add 1 low end gpu (320SPUs) with maybe 1gbddr5. perfect backwards comp, cheap, and it looks good on paper for the regular joe (2 gpus? so is twice as fast!)

slh28 said:
If there's 2 7970's in there then I may consider it...

Somehow I doubt this. An earlier article stated that the GPU would likely be a 6850, which would be about a 7750 for the 7000 series. Even in crossfire (which the article said it wouldn't), I wouldn't want this system.

I will NEVER be online at all times! You will never see a dime from me ever again if you pull off this sh!t.

Back