Diablo III launch marred by server issues, #error37 trends on Twitter

By on May 15, 2012, 11:30 AM

It’s been 12 years in the making but fans of the popular Diablo series are finally getting their wish. Diablo III servers were activated at midnight PDT / 3am EDT but unsurprisingly, the launch has been marred by a high volume of traffic that crashed servers in the US.

A large number of gamers were unable to activate their copy of Diablo III and play the game at launch, receiving the following message instead: “The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (Error 37).” The issue became a trending topic on Twitter as frustrated gamers used the hashtag #error37 to voice their grievances.

ComputerAndVideoGames notes that Blizzard addressed fans this morning, telling them to wait and try again if they were unable to log into the game. At the time, the company said that new servers were being launched and that Battle.net had been taken offline.

A quick check at the Diablo III forums shows that some people are still experiencing issues this morning while others are able to log in without incident. In fact, some players have already finished the game completely in seven hours, others in twelve.

Blizzard sold more than two million preorders for Diablo III and held more than 8,000 midnight launch events at retail stores worldwide but many fans haven’t been pleased with the company’s decision to require online activation to play the game.

It’s hard to believe that Blizzard didn’t see this one coming after the title became their highest pre-sell of all time. But really, nobody should be surprised at the server snafu. It’s the same story every time a high-profile game launches because the developer / publisher behind the title simply doesn’t allocate enough servers for the initial hit of traffic when the game becomes available.

Either way, the wait is now over and Diablo III is here. We would love to hear your feedback on the server issue and the game in general in the comments section below!

mevans336 mevans336 said:

"In fact, some players have already finished the game completely in just seven hours."

7 hours? Please tell me the AVERAGE gameplay time will be longer?

I call BS

there is no way to finish this in 7 hours. if it was 7 hours then im the next pope...

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

Just updated the links with stories about players who finished the game in 7 hours, some others claim they were done in 12. Way to enjoy a game, huh?

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

User reviews on Metacritic are slamming the game (seems to be a regular occurrence these days with high-profile game releases). Of course many of the negative scores are the result of the inability to log-on, but there are also numerous references to the short story line as well as lack of difficulty:

I beat it in 8 hours. Very disappointing game. It is the most dumbed down Diablo experience ever. Even Diablo-clones do a much better job. The game is ready for console.

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Ha

Have fun in Hell+

Completing Normal in 7 hours with a constant leveling is easy, it will take on average more then 7hours to complete Normal.

Julio, some may enjoy it? Leave them be. Others like to RP and pretend to be kings and queens in a game, does that mean its wrong? Also people have time for this with second toon to actually "enjoy" the game.

Once you really beat the game, that would imply you have done Inferno. Many games can be done within 10 hours.

A large number of gamers were unable to activate their copy of Diablo III and play the game at launch, receiving the following message instead: "The servers are busy at this time. Please try again later (Error 37)." The issue became a trending topic on Twitter as frustrated gamers used the hashtag #error37 to voice their grievances.

As far as I recall that was no the activation issue. That was Blizzard simply limiting the amount of connections able to log into the game to prevent servers from crashing.

PS:

This launch was big, this was expected. Just look at the other MMO launches (I know Diablo isn't an MMO). That said Blizzard knew this was going to be big, why not get extra temporary servers until it calms down. But hey, non of us work there so don't know how it is behind the scenes.

howzz1854 said:

that's not a good sign. I almost pre-ordered the game but the price tag of $60 is just hard to swallow. I ended up buying a pair of shoes instead and decided to wait it out. I know my shoes will last me way longer than 8 hours. much better investment.

wcbert said:

"It is the most dumbed down Diablo experience ever"

Sounds like the current trend of games. Dumb it down, give it better graphics and make it appeal to the average computer/twitter user which has a short attention span so it can sell more copies to the masses.

@Artix: Yes but without World PVP (only arena pvp to be added later), only Four Person Co-Op (downgraded from diablo 2's eight person co-op), and no LAN play, I have no incentive to play past the initial difficulty just to know the story. Now I know the story and wish I would have just waited to watch the cinematics on Youtube, I'd be $60 richer.

The game was bland and obviously created with the idea of being released on console. Why else would they remove character customization? You no longer distribute skill points or attribute points. Skills are unlocked automatically when you level up. The voice acting is awful, not on par with Diablo 2 at all... and what's up with the checkpoints, definitely console ready. All the scenes are scripted...

Don't even get me started on the pay 2 win auction house!

If you had never played Diablo 1 and 2, or you were never that into either of them, well you might like Diablo 3. They really should have named the game Call of Demon or anything other than Diablo. BAH!!!

/ragequit

Yes it is hack and slash and the normal mode is piss, hence it being the normal introductory mode. Get to Nightmare and "dumb" down won't be the case, get to Hell and be ready to rage quit several times and once you get to Inferno, goodluck you will most likely uninstall considering the mindset of some of you "oh its so easy, lets whine about it" ... let me guess, most of you do the same in other games and then cry because its too hard and vice versa, ey?

Wow, 12 years in the making and 7 hours to finish the game. Glad I didn't buy this one. Go Go Blizzard!

While the difficulty in Normal is easy, I never commented on the difficulty, I was referring the everything else about the game.

Perhaps the first 12 hours is not enough time to fully experience, review/rant about how horribly easy the game is.

I used to be able to complete D2 in roughly one hour per act (in normal)

Was it hard powerleveling? No. Was it fun? Not really, it was just a race.

It'll be fun reading all the Metacritic reviews tomorrow that say "I gave it a 1 because it sucks, glad I didn't play this piece of trash game."

@Guest on May 15, 2012 12:53PM:

Actually Blizzard North was working on Diablo 3 from 2000 - 2005, then the game was cancelled, Blizzard North was fired, and all their work scraped. Diablo 3 that we have here today is by the creators of World of Warcraft and Activision. However, two of the main Blizzard North employees went on to create Runic Games, the creators of Torchlight and the soon to be released Torchlight 2.

If you're looking for a good ARPG to play, try Titan Quest if you haven't already. Two of the main developers from Iron Lore are actually creating a new ARPG, Grim Dawn. They have a KickStarter running right now that has already surpassed their goal, but if you want the game for cheap and to support them, go make a pledge.

Finally, Path of Exile is in closed beta but you can buy into it for $10. If Diablo 3 was a huge disappointment for you, Path of Exile is like a modern Diablo 2 with a new take on a few things. Definitely a cut-throat game what will make you it's ***** in harder difficulties.

Looking for a good unbiased review of the top 3 ARPGs this year with Pros and Cons?

[link]

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Don't even get me started on the pay 2 win auction house!

/ragequit

1) Yes I wish there was WPVP, PvP coming in at later date.

2) Talent system sucks, with the current system you have way more viable options then before.

3) Already discussed "PW2" and it has been present since early Diablo games, this time its legal, therefore argument is flawed.

4) Yes I never liked D1,D2 but that is because I tried it once when I was like 7 so that's tad biased.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Its pretty messed up not to have sufficient server capacity at launch. Its not bad enough that you're always beta testing at launch as it is, but not to be able to play your game because they oversold the server capacity? That's really getting towards consumer fraud.

If you pre-sell 2,000,000 units, then you need to make 2,000,000 server slots available. Simultaneously. Yes, you have a very successful game on your hands, and part of that success means letting people play it. Just take a small fraction of that pre-sale money (120,000,000 dollars, give or take), and rent some additional server space for launch. Scale that down over the course of the next few months as game play trends indicate. No problem.

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Wonder how people a server can hold, something around 5000? (WoW has something like 5K afaik). It does suck though...

7 Hours seems about right. Back in Diablo 2 we used to rush players through the game in about 15-20 minutes or so (w/o mh)... Playing straight through in 7-12 hours, for someone familiar with the gaming style, shouldn't be too much of an issue when you consider the franchises past.

MilwaukeeMike said:

Careful how you define it. There's a difference between the authentication server (which makes sure you're playing a valid copy of the game, and in WoW, makes sure you're payments are up to date) and the game server which would handle things like the auction house and anything else. I'm speaking only from WoW experience, but Blizz would occasionally have sign-on issues where it could take a few mins or more to log on. Once you were on, it'd be fine.

There's no reason to upgrade authentication servers for the 2 days it's going to matter at launch. For game servers, you'd hope they'd get it right, especially if they expect the game to grow. Don't forget though... this was the biggest selling pre-order game over. To say it exceeded expectations would probably be accurate.

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

Well if this isn't a valid enough reason for why we don't want games that have a single player component to require authentication to some online game server I don't know what is.

I had the game in my mailbox today, install took about 90 minutes and now it just hangs on login with "Error 37" Trying I few times I can get past that but then it hangs on the "Authenticated" part.

ramonsterns said:

Where's all the "Blizzard is the last good company" posts?

Or did they finally break their brainwashing?

yRaz yRaz said:

1) Yes I wish there was WPVP, PvP coming in at later date.

Pay to win is a legitimate complaint. BTW, tell me about the PTW system in D1. IIRC, everyone just duped items. I'm going to make my position clear on PTW. It has no place in any game anywhere.

Your point number 4 raises some questions. You seem to be a huge fan of the Diablo series, but you never liked D1 or D2? You have legitimate complaints about D3, so why are do defending it so? It was a bust, just like Duke Nukem Forever.

I have yet to play due to this error. Probably be good later tonight. Coworker of mine stayed up all nite put like 6 hours in, crazy. He said he wasnt close to the end. I did read that some chinese and koreans rushed through it on normal. But who really gives a crap how they play anyway.

Ranger1st Ranger1st said:

There is zero valid reason for a game 12 years in the making to be this bad. New World computing used to make Might and Magic. Some of the puzzles took more then 7 hrs alone to figure out, get the components for or simply find, and there were ~ 40 per game plus all the story line elements and world exploration. They did that once a year sometimes twice with clouds of Xeen. Yes it was still an awesome hack and slash and had such a deep character development system that even to this day I shudder at making choices for the characters.

Coming from games like that.. I won't be purchasing this game at any point in time. Consoles have killed the PC game world, apathy has accelerated the fact, fan boys have done their best to justify and validate the stupidity, ( those people are what we call 'friendly fire accidents' in the military..).

Have only completed Act I, but so far I'm liking the game and am finding it fun to play. Yes perhaps normal difficulty is a little on the easy side, but that's not the end of the world. That's what the harder difficulties are for. The server issues are a pain in the ass, but I guess it's to be expected. No company is going to spend hundreds of thousands on new servers just to handle the initial launch rush and then box the servers up again, cause that just doesn't make fiscal sense. As soon things settle down a little that'll all go away, and then the happy times can roll. Personally I just wish there was an option to turn the graphics up higher than they can currently go. Cause I'm sure they could squeeze a few extra pixels in there without breaking it.

Great game so far, Got lvl 19 DH and Lvl 12 WD

Took a few hours after it went live before this error went away and actually let me get on.

Been enjoying ever since, till now its down again emerg maintenance.

People that are saying they beat the game in 8 hours well are just lying, [link]

First person to beat the game 12h 29m

But thats rushing though normal only.

Still tons of hours of playing the other modes

This is a great game, If you liked D1 and 2, Im pretty sure you will enjoy this, Yes there are some changes but its also 10 years later, I would be dissapointed if there wasent.

....you people need lives....or friends, or a woman, or something....its a game...chill

Twixtea said:

battlenet is a piece of shit

when your gf doesn't want to play with you, you are bored

When you are bored, you want to play game

when you want to play game, you play diablo 3

when you play diablo 3, you get error 37

don't get error 37, play Hello Kitty-island of adventure!!

Wow, glad everyone kept their reviews unbiased.

Metacritic's user score of 3.3 is now even lower than that of Gettysburg Armored Warfare, which is perhaps the worst game of the year.

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Played through the first act 2 player co-op with a friend, and I actually seemed to enjoy myself. This is going on 3 hours of play, whats the point in playing through the game so fast that you never want to play it again. And this is just normal, can't wait to ramp up the difficulty and rage quit the first time. The only complaint is the graphics, everything looks like it could look a lot better. And the lack of SLI/xfire support, this I will never understand, a game that has been in development for so long just not support this on lunch. Anyway, thats doesn't really take away from the experience of playing the game just a small complaint.

Great comment Twixtea, what a contribution...

PinothyJ said:

I call BS

Dark Souls was beaten in eighty-seven minutes so your bitching is invalid...

Night Hacker Night Hacker said:

I don't believe anyone finished it in 7 hours AND read all the dialog, followed the story, maybe cleared most areas completely etc... you know, really ENJOY the game rather than power through it just so you can be the first to say "it sucks, yo!".

I do have issues with being disconnected from the game while playing it today, that's been annoying, and one more reason why I don't believe someone played the game fully in 7 hours.

Half the people here are bashing which probably going to calm their little cherries in few days when they start playing D3.

Hate, but you still follow the game about... clever.

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Some people prefer to do this? They want to be on the edge, first to destroy things. I rush through my games, every single one. But once I hit the cap, I simply reroll on an alt and enjoy the game. Then done leveling for the rest of the game/expansion.

Zecias said:

1) Yes I wish there was WPVP, PvP coming in at later date.

1) Yes I wish there was WPVP, PvP coming in at later date.

Can you name a single, online, gear-based game with trading that doesn't let you buy gear or bonuses? If blizzard doesn't make a market, there will be a black market. The PTW portion only affects you if in pvp anyways.

Tell me more about how diablo was such a good game even though people were buying gear and duping all over the place. But somehow, in D3, the market makes the game complete crap.

You say that D3 was a bust. Have you even played the game? If you have have, you're a hypocrite because you QQ about PTW and then go and buy the game, encouraging those sort of systems. If you haven't played the game, who are you to judge? It hasn't even been out for a day. you haven't actually played through the game on mutiple difficulties. Nor have you tried the coop or pvp. And if you're going off the comments on the internet, come on... if you think the comments of raging haters and devout fanboys can be trusted, then you're hopeless.

There are too many gaming hipsters that think it's cool to jump on the bandwagon and hate every high profile game that comes out. Metacritic proves that all the haters find a single thing they dislike and the game is instantly irredeemable.

no offline mode = 1

pay to win in game market = 1

no stats points = 1

If you were to actually make an educated argument as to why the game sucks, then I'm all for it; even if I disagree with your opinions. But most people just nitpicking and being hipsters; hating because it's "cool" and everyone else is hating. Honestly though, gamers will find any reason to throw a tantrum and make a big spectacle.

treetops treetops said:

I got in at 130am, played with my bro who lives 50 miles away til about 7am. We stayed in the same game the whole time so we didn't get booted. When I stopped copy pasting my pass and started manually retyping my user name and password I got in.

p.s. they may have beat normal in 7 hours, beating normal is nowhere near beaTing the game though

p.s.s. they basically waited to see how hard hit the traffic would be and bought more servers accordingly. I am stunned that there is no form of offline single player.

I am going to reserve complaining until I see what late game is like.

p.s.s.s.s.s.s. I bet TBH being down the last week has something to do with this release date

Stupid people can get fooled by all that though.

The days of the playing the same game again on a higher difficulty are gone. Why play the same game again when you can play a different game instead?

Now if they added something like pvp type gameplay that would be something.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Why is there no reason to upgrade your authentication servers? Its not as if they're buying the physical computers. They can just rent extra space to run their software. And it may have exceeded expectations, but not as if they didn't have a daily quota of sales.

And I'm sure they realize how many people their servers can handle. If their servers can only handle 250,000 per hour, then they got an issue cause 8 times as many people will be trying to log on. This isn't like they're sitting around the table waiting for the box office receipts. They had all this information ready beforehand.

As always, this matter was brought before some executive, and something was laid out. It will cost X dollars in order to get everyone authenticated. And you know what he said: "**** them, we already got their money. Not as if they're going to get a refund." Everyone is acting like these poor innocent game companies, full of spunky but ill informed employees are attacked by ungrateful fans. This isn't 1997. This is 2012. I expect these companies to have all this info, and be prepared to provide what the players paid their hard earned money for - a pleasant gaming experience. I would be irritated as all hell if I spent money to buy a game only not to be able to play it for hours on end.

7 hours ? Seriously I pity those people !

Night Hacker Night Hacker said:

People are pissed off for the same reason you would be pissed off if you bought a new car and it breaks down every 15 mins. You pay a lot for something, you expect it to work. Only in the software industry can they get away with selling faulty goods.

"Hate, but you still follow the game about... clever."

Of course I do, I like the game, what a stupid statement! If I didn't like the game I wouldn't give a rats ass what happens to it. But I like it, I paid for it and I expect it to work when I get it, like any other product I buy.

Blizzard is worse than Hitler.