Comcast preparing to one-up Verizon with 305 Mbps Internet package

By on July 20, 2012, 11:00 AM

Comcast is reportedly preparing to bolster their broadband Internet offering in an attempt to compete with high-speed rival Verizon Wireless. The cable company recently streamed a live event to employees that hinted at a faster service that would soon be available to customers that already have access to Verizon’s FiOS Internet package, according to reliable sources as reported by Broadband Reports.

Comcast’s boosted Xfinity Internet service would offer download speeds up to 305 Mbps which is conveniently just 5 Mbps more than Verizon’s fastest FiOS offering – certainly good PR for the cable company. There’s no information on pricing but we suspect it would be somewhere in the neighborhood of what Verizon charges if they want to be competitive, or somewhere around $200 per month.

It’s also unclear at this point when the service will be available or what the upstream speeds are. For what it’s worth, Verizon’s top tier package is rated at 65 Mbps upload. Broadband Reports notes that Comcast reached speeds between 75-100 Mbps during private testing last year.

Verizon announced speed increases to virtually all of their FiOS Internet packages in May but it was the top tier services that got the most attention. The company upgraded their fastest offering from 150/35 Mbps to 300/65 Mbps while their 50/20 Mbps plan was boosted to 150/65 Mbps.

Comcast’s current top Internet package is the Extreme 105 Xfinity, offering up 105 Mbps down to over 40 million homes across the country.

Sniped_Ash said:

Great, but what's the bandwidth cap (that FIOS doesn't have at all)?

J_Gert J_Gert said:

Exactly! I have FIOS now and I am currently setting up my entire Fraternity House with them. +1 for FIOS as long as prices stay low

The bandwidth cap is 305mbps. Are you referring to a data cap?

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

If there isn't a data cap now, there will be soon enough.

I had an "unlimited" program from Charter. A few years later, when they started calling me about overages, the lady said that they never sold an unlimited plan. When I told her that I still have the paper which says unlimited, with no asterisks, she said that their TOS can change at any time. Advised her that I never got a bill with changed TOS, she said that they change on their website. Asked her if they told me they changed, she said they don't have to. Can't win with telecoms...

ikesmasher said:

how much are the FIOS plans? cant find them on the verizon site.

GeforcerFX GeforcerFX said:

Unless your running a server farm, sharing the connection with a bunch of devices or are seriously addicted to HD adult videos, I see no use for that much bandwidth. 10/1 got me along fine till 2 years ago, now I am 40/5 and me and my room mate can both game and watch netflix (all at the same time) without running into bandwidth issues.

1 person liked this | TJGeezer said:

Can't trust cable companies either. Or any other legislated monopoly. All these legislated monopolies sink millions into buying stronger legal positions and some percentage of those millions on marketing and PR flogging for "free enterprise". Congress members take their money and give 'em whatever they want with rare, well publicized exceptions, and media talking heads bemoan the fact that the government seems to have less popular confidence or institutional legitimacy every year. So don't expect anything from either Verizon or Comcast that you can trust. As the first-tier support lady said, they can change what they sell you at any time and never bother to tell you. It's a great system, if you're rich enough to own Verizon or Comcast. Okay, cue passionate support of the corporate system.

Camikazi said:

Great, but what's the bandwidth cap (that FIOS doesn't have at all)?

The data cap for Comcast is 250GB but they have suspended that for the time being (dunno what they are planning though) so ATM there is no cap.