Weekend tech reading: A love-hate relationship with Firefox

By on August 5, 2012, 2:29 PM

Why we love Firefox. and why we hate it Admit it. You are in a love-hate relationship with Firefox. Either Mozilla gets Firefox right and you are jumping up and down, or Mozilla screws up and you threaten to ditch the browser in favor of Chrome. Mozilla’s passionate user base keeps Firefox dangling between constant ups and downs, which is a good thing, as long as Mozilla is going up. Unfortunately, that is not the case right now. Mozilla’s market share has been slipping again at a significant pace. There has been some discussion and finger pointing and it seems that the rapid release process has to take the blame this time. Are we right to blame the rapid release process? ConceivablyTech

Confessions of a middle-aged games writer I am 40 and I write about video games for a living. It is only just striking me that this might be weird to some people. 17 years ago, when I first started out in this idiotic profession, everyone thought I had the best job in the world -- and I did. Thing is, I think I may still have it. But 17 years later, I catch the odd askew glance, the odd furrowed brow. What, 40? And still writing about games? And all of a sudden I feel like one of those professional footballers who don’t retire at their peak, but instead bounce through a succession of lower league loan deals and pay-per-play contracts, clinging on. Just clinging on. Hookshot

Please don’t call it Trash-80: A 35th anniversary salute to Radio Shack’s TRS-80 Quick -- name the most important personal computer of the late 1970s and early 1980s. Those of you who mentioned the legendary Apple II–that’s fine. I respect your decision. Forced to think objectively in 2012, I may even agree. But if you just named Radio Shack’s TRS-80, you made me smile. Your choice is entirely defensible. And back in the TRS-80′s heyday, I not only would have agreed with it but would have vehemently opposed any other candidate. Time

How Apple conducts market research and keeps iOS source code locked down In an interview with Fortune a few years ago, Steve Jobs explained that Apple never does market research. Rather, they simply preoccupy themselves with creating great products. And when asked about the market research that went into creating the iPad, Jobs responded, "None. It isn't the consumers' job to know what they want. It's hard for [consumers] to tell you what they want when they've never seen anything remotely like it." Network World

Has your G+ account been suspended? Don't seek shelter from Google I first noticed the problems about a month ago. I tried to promote a TY4NS blog post on Google Plus but nothing happened when I clicked the G+1 button. I figured it was probably a glitch in the plug-in code. I have an attention span of about 4.2 seconds for this sort of thing, so I just moved on. A few days later I got an Gmail message and decided to add the sender to one of my G+ circles. But Google wouldn’t let me. Another glitch, I figured. ITworld

'Hardcore gamers love GameStop' - CEO Paul Raines When most U.S. gamers think of brick-and-mortar games stores, they think of GameStop. The Grapevine, Texas-based company operates more than 4,000 stores across the country; it owns the Game Informer magazine; and its used game business is unrivaled. Once a fully brick-and-mortar retailer, GameStop is now adopting and embracing a multi-faceted digital strategy, which has proven lucrative for the firm. GameSpot

Guy spends two years building amazing life-size, working WALL-E Ever since he first rolled into our lives back in 2008, we've loved WALL-E, the lovable trash compactor robot at the heart of the Pixar film of the same name. He's cute, he's loving, he's brave, and he's just plain neat. Too bad he's only a cartoon, right? Well, not anymore. Mike Senna, a California robotics enthusiast, was best known up until a little while ago for building a life-sized, working R2-D2. Blastr

Nixeus Vue 27": A $430 WQHD (2560x1440) S-IPS LED monitor Monitors with resolutions greater than 1080p have always commanded a premium. While 1920x1200 monitors have become rare, 2560x1440 (WQHD) and 2560x1600 (WQXGA) continue to have a steady, but costly, presence in the market. Even brands such as Doublesight (which don't command the same recognition as, say, Dell or Samsung) price their WQHD offerings around $1000. AnandTech

Yahoo sued after disclosure user names, passwords stolen Yahoo, the operator of the biggest U.S. Web portal, was sued for negligence over its disclosure that as many as 450,000 user names and passwords were stolen from one of its sites. A Yahoo user who said his login credentials were posted online after a hacker infiltrated a company database on July 11 filed a complaint July 31 in federal court in San Jose, California. Bloomberg

Groupon and its pivots: A mega, meta mash-up of the news Groupon is my personal favorite poster child for the shortest cycle time of rise and fall ever. [Its] long journey from flailing startup to multi-billion-dollar Wall Street obsession has played out like an opera, with subplots involving orgiastic young sales reps, brutal German managers, a puppet-master chairman, and amazing levels of greed. Fast Company

Three decades of the Commodore 64 The BBC was kind enough to point out that one of the most significant early personal computers, the Commodore 64, went on sale in August 30 years ago. For many people, this machine was their introduction to personal computing, and for two members of the Ars staff, thinking about the machine brings up strong memories. Ars Technica

Yes, I was hacked. Hard. So maybe you saw my Twitter going nuts tonight. Or you saw Gizmodo’s Twitter account blow up. Or you saw this in AllThingsD. Or this in the DailyDot. Although embarrassing, Twitter was the least of it. In short, someone gained entry to my iCloud account, used it to remote wipe all of my devices, and get entry into other accounts too. Emptyage

DARPA clears path for advanced communications, sensors DARPA researchers have created the world’s first solid state receiver to demonstrate gain at 0.85 terahertz (THz). This is the latest breakthrough in the DARPA THz Electronics program in its quest for transistor-based electronics that will enable electronic capabilities at THz frequencies. DARPA

Internet pirates will always win Stopping online piracy is like playing the world’s largest game of Whac-A-Mole. Hit one, countless others appear. Quickly. And the mallet is heavy and slow. The NY Times (also: Where Is Bourne? Not in an electronic version)

1 person liked this | ikesmasher said:

Stopping piracy at this point really is almost impossible.

Anyway, my request of Firefox is just to make it stable. I don't need any features BEFORE stability, I just need it to work consistently, as of right now it hangs and crashes and has 30 second freezes. I just want a stable browser and I cant bother switching to the layout of a different one.

Zen Zen, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'm 100% with smasher, stability is the key, anything else is just fluff & stuff! Personally I dropped Mozilla some time back due to stability alone! I was tired of the freeze up's, lock up's, hang times and such. So months ago I uninstalled Firefox and said hello to Google Chrome and haven't looked back!

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

When FF switched to this stupid dashboard, I officially ended my use of it. The first few times I tried it, I couldn't even figure out how to switch pages.

Why would you automatically enable something so idiotic?

ramonsterns said:

Love gamestop? Hardly.

Dustyn Dustyn said:

There are FAR better alternatives to Firefox than Chrome... it's Opera.

ikesmasher said:

Opera is not a "better alternative" if you need a lightweight browser.

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

Why would you automatically enable something so idiotic?

What dashboard? I don't think I've noticed it O_o

Staff
Steve Steve said:

I mostly love Firefox Which is why I still use it.

Admit it. Firefox is still the best browser, and you go sucked into la la land.

treetops treetops said:

Gamestop sucks, if you want to be able to return a none working game shop at walmart. Gamestop won't take back any duds they sell. Not even brand new games, I got fooled once and will never shop there again. Dont sell your games there either, sell them on ebay.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Love Foxfire when it's working, dislike it when it doesn't.

@Tekkaraiden: That's an odd way to say you love Firefox 100% of the time.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

What dashboard? I don't think I've noticed it O_o

I dunno. I have version 11.

Wait, its updating right now...now I have version 14...updating again...now 15.

You can turn it on/off with CTRL ALT SHIFT D (as I found out today). It sucks and I don't like it.

Why use only one browser ?

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

I use Firefox all the time as my main browser. Don't have much if any problems. Adblock, flashblock and noscript ftw!

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

"Internet pirates will always win"

If you have nothing to gain from piracy e.g. content is accessible (I.e. easy to access and more convenient) and you are not restricted by crappy DRM rules, piracy wouldn't flourish as much. Sure there will still be some but most people really wouldn't bother to pirate if you made legit use easier.

ShadowDeath said:

I will say I don't really have a love hate relationship with firefox. For me, it's worked and done nothing but that. So what if once in a while a release crashes. They've always been pretty quick to spot the issue and fix it. As for rapid release.. To blame a rapid release for people jumping ship to chrome is a completely stupid notion. Think about that one. People are leaving firefox because of the rapid release to chrome which also has a rapid release system. Yeah.. .ok..

I have noticed one issue though. On my lapotp firefox seems to hate ATI cards... or ATI drivers seem to hate firefox. Honestly, I blame ATI... They've always had crap for software support. Their hardware are pretty good though.

Before anyone bashes... I didn't trash anyone else's opinion so be a man and respect mine.

@gwailo247, too bad Firefox is only on RC 14.0.1... And this Ctrl+Alt+Shift+D does not work... I don't know what you are talking about when you say dashboard...

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Steam is a testament to the fact that piracy doesn't always win and that people will buy software when it is fairly priced.

FF freezes 7 seconds each startup of it for me, wtf are they doing I dont want fluff.

sapo joe said:

I love Waterfox, and for me, it's Firefox on 64-bit steroids. It's fast, stable, has all the great plugins, etc...

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

Chrome is my top choice for Flash-based websites and web applications.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Personally I can't stand FF. I gave it up for Chrome over a year ago, and haven't looked back. I've never had any issues with Chrome like I did with FF, IE, or Opera.

Different users have different tastes. Tomato, tomahto, it doesn't make a sh** as long as it works for you, and you're happy with it. Stick with what suits your needs.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Yes, I made it all up just to trick you.

But wait, there is more...another one.

[link]

Wow. Google 2 - Guest 0

Amazing what you can find when you actually try to find information, isn't it?

princeton princeton said:

Wow Anandtech missed the boat on cheap WQHD monitors. You've been able to get the S-IPS Yamakasi Catleap from Korea for a long time now at slightly over $300.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

How did Anand miss the boat? Their article mentions the Korean units, including the brand you noted.

Puiu Puiu said:

As long as Chrome and Opera don't have the great developer tools that firefox has I won't switch. I use all the browsers for developing, ff is still my main.

Scshadow said:

My firefox has only given me problems with the latest flash. Flash 11.3 and firefox = crash. Especially on dual monitor setups. Full screen video paused on one screen and any click on second screen = 100% crash rate. And its not just the flash plugin that would crash but the whole firefox process would be stuck "not responding". Downgraded flash to 10.3 and its smooth sailing.

fimbles fimbles said:

Still an internet explorer user, Maybe its my old eyes... but the text seems washed out and slightly blurry in firefox.

tw0rld tw0rld said:

Now using opera for browsing. Firefox for development. I hate those constant flash player crashes in firefox, that forced me to make the switch.

Dustyn Dustyn said:

Opera is not a "better alternative" if you need a lightweight browser.

Seems pretty light to me? Loads fast and is remarkably stable. But I then I also have a fast PC.

ikesmasher said:

meh. lightweight isnt exactly linear to speed, but the simpler it is, the better for some of us.

nismo91 said:

using waterfox here. still have IE9 and Chrome for backup browser (when I am trying to sign in to different email address under same domain)

princeton princeton said:

Well that's the point. Why write about a $4xx dollar one when you've been able to get the same panels for $300 for quite some time. They even mentioned that they reviewed one from achieva a little while back.

1 person liked this |
Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

Are you just trying to be difficult? From the Anand article:

Many consumers are not entirely comfortable ordering expensive gadgets off eBay. The absence of a budget offering from a US-based company in this space has been disappointing, but Nixeus is now stepping up to fill this void... We find that the monitor has a number of connectivity options which are not available in the Achieva / Catleap / Yamakasi units (which just use DL-DVI)...