Sleeping Dogs PC demo now available on Steam

By on August 23, 2012, 6:00 PM

Sleeping Dogs was released last week and the game has since been garnering positive reviews from critics and gamers alike -- it currently has a metascore of 83 in our Product Finder engine. If you’re on the fence about spending your hard earned cash, however, Steam is now offering a free demo for PC.

The game is also available on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 consoles, but publisher Square Enix reportedly green lighted extra resources for a higher-quality PC version. Among the perks you can expect is support for DirectX 11 graphics effects, a separate 5GB high-definition texture pack (not included in the demo, it seems), interface optimizations, and support for multiple monitors as well as stereoscopic 3D.

Developed by United Front Games, the game was originally titled True Crime: Hong Kong and supposed to be a reboot of the True Crime franchise owned by Activision, but the latter canceled work in February 2011. It was later revived as Sleeping Dogs after Square Enix acquired the rights to the game. According to senior producer Jeff O'Connell, under Activision the plan was for the PC edition to be outsourced, but United Front got to develop it internally and “make sure the PC version was everything it could be.”

Reviewers have called it "one of the best open world games of recent years”, with solid combat mechanics reminiscent of Batman Arkham City’s, excellent driving sequences and a compelling story.

Alpha Gamer Alpha Gamer said:

Yeah, I got this game on release day and I'm very pleased with it. I recommend to you all.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

The game is slow for the first hour or so, but things really got interesting after that. Overall it is very good; for an open-world game, I give it a 9/10. Also, the soundtrack is amazing.

EXCellR8 EXCellR8, The Conservative, said:

I am enjoying it as well... very fun even if it does play like GTA.

The HD texture pack is a must have too!

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

I bought the game on PC, and it's very fun and worth your gaming time. Maybe the reason for the wonky camera was that United Front Games hates the free movement like in GTA IV and Saints Row The Third, which is evident on the PC version.

I give it a 9.5. (Cool martial arts action, graphics are eye-candy on DX11 support, voice acting and presentation is top-notch. But the wonky camera is indeed frustrating)

To sum up, screw you Activision.

HaydenViper HaydenViper said:

When I installed the sleeping dogs demo on steam I try to start it but the window saying that its going to launch in a moment goes away in a split second and nothing ever happens can anyone explain what is happening if someone does I will greatly appreciate it.

Alpha Gamer Alpha Gamer said:

Try verifying cache, I've had this problem 2x so far and it worked

carlosss299 said:

Wait, how do you verify cache? I'm having the same problem with it not starting up.

Alpha Gamer Alpha Gamer said:

Try verifying cache, I've had this problem 2x so far and it worked

Library

Right click on Sleeping dogs

Properties

Local Files

Verify Integrity Cache

Natus_XCVI Natus_XCVI said:

Downloaded the game and couldn't stop playing. I come back the next day and it won't even launch. It just stays at the screen with the developer logos >:P