LG shows off extra-wide 29-inch, 21:9 monitor at IFA

By on August 30, 2012, 2:00 PM

LG unveiled an unusual-looking computer monitor ahead of the IFA 2012 conference this week designed with multi-taskers and cinema buffs in mind. The 29-inch EA93 boasts a 21:9 aspect ratio (the same ratio used in actual movie theaters) with a native WQHD resolution of 2560 x 1080, making it an ideal choice for viewing Blu-ray flicks or gaming without the distraction of screen bezels in a multi-monitor setup.

LG's framing the EA93 as a solid choice for photographers, multimedia pros and other multi-taskers as well, with a screen-splitting feature that that breaks the display up into four segments and allows several custom options. The Dual Link-up function allows two devices to connect to the monitor simultaneously.

The LG EA93 has a response time of 5ms and 178-degree viewing angles both horizontally and vertically. In terms of connectivity it has one DVI-D Dual port, two HDMI ports, four USB 3.0 ports, one DisplayPort, PC audio in and headphone out. There’s also support for Mobile High-Definition Link (MHL), which allows you to mirror the contents of your smartphone or tablet while charging it at the same time.

LG hasn’t announced exactly when the EA93 will go on sale or how much it will cost. The company also announced the EA83, a 27-inch IPS monitor with a 2560 x 1440 resolution that will sell for around €800. The latter has a 16:9 aspect ration and features a host of ports, including one DVI-D Dual, HDMI, and USB 3.0.

Image credit: The Verge

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

God Almighty! That is pretty badass screen I must say, not for me due to this being rather for specific usage(s) but of course if I had money to throw out id buy it (being rich basically, proper minted that is).

Will it BEND ?

1 person liked this | Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

Will it BEND ?

Guest made a typo, he meant to say "Will it Blend?"

Neojt said:

OMG I want one!!

well I would like it to BEND has in \__/ insstead of --- kinda thing

1 person liked this | spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

Would be so cool if it curved a little like an IMAX

3DCGMODELER 3DCGMODELER said:

I take that back I want 6 of them...

oomjcv oomjcv said:

How can it have a 21:9 aspect ratio and a 2560x1440 resolution (16:9 aspect ratio)?

1 person liked this | dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

You can't. 21:9 -more often refered to as 2.39:1 or 2.4:1 scales out to 2560x1080

Guest made a typo, he meant to say "Will it Blend?"

Or it could be a reference to the widescreen monitors that are curved

So what I want to know is can I plug my AMD 6870 into it like I was using three screens.

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

OMG I want one!!

well I would like it to BEND has in \__/ insstead of --- kinda thing

Yes.... it will blend in a \_T_/ (blender) if it was big enough.

soldier1969 soldier1969 said:

Let me know when you manufacturers make a 2560 x 1600 led thin 120hz 16:10 version I'll buy but not until then.

I wonder if my Video Card will support 3 of these bad boys in an Eyefinity setup????

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Didn't Philips already try this with television and give up on the idea? Whatever happened to the one alienware was developing?

Resolution is 2560x1080, not 1440. 2560x1440 is standard 16:9.

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

I'll take one of these, too. I have a 30" dell version but at 60hz and lcd. It's still the best monitor I've ever used, but those 1080 led 120hz TVs make me hot. lol

likedamaster said:

It's like a 30" monitor available now but cut in half horizontally. lol.

Clearly some people just skimmed the article if they missed that there were TWO models announced with a 21:9 ratio (EA93, 2560x1080) and one with a 16:9 ratio (EA83, 2560x1440).

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

No one skimmed the article, the comments had me confused until I went back and noticed the error in the article (which has since been corrected).

Bah, Gordon Gekko had one of these years ago.

I still don't know what USB ports on a monitor are for..

Leeky Leeky said:

Now that would be ideal, and avoids dealing with several bezels from multiple displays. I'd definitely purchase one when it becomes available.

I still don't know what USB ports on a monitor are for..

It gives you additional USB ports to connect additional USB accessories and behaves in the same way external USB hubs do.

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

It's like a 30" monitor available now but cut in half horizontally. lol.

Now let's see if they cut the price in half from a typical 30".

ikesmasher said:

6 of those in eyefinity....sigh...

Does it come in 3D?

It would be nice if this format catches on.

This is a monitor that would be marketed for gamers. Gamers waste more money on gadgets like this than just about anyone else. I am a gamer, I should know. There is one catch, it has to be affordable. This seems to have the height of an 18 or 20 inch monitor. I would hope the cost is equal to that. No doubt it would cost less to make than 3 separate monitors. But we all know how marketing works. Even though it will cost less, it probably will sell for more than 6 20 inchers cost.

I am in if its around the $300 mark. It's a little small for my taste as I have a 32" Sony for my main and 2 24" ViewSonics for my peripheral.

This would be awesome for gaming. Most games view isn't wide enough with one monitor, and the triple screen setup has the frame in the way. It would be nice if this format catches on. Will have to just wait and see. 29 inches is a little small for this aspect though

Sum Guy Sum Guy said:

At first I was like I would be in if it were around the same price a 3 monitors, but I just realized the resolution is not the equivalent to 3 monitors. 1920 x 3 wide by 1080 high would be ideal. Lg needs to build that instead. Gamers are all about resolution. Well at least the serious ones.

The resolution that would sell me and 3 friends I shared this with is 5760x1080.

JC713 JC713 said:

what card? 2 7970s can kill this.