T-Mobile flips the switch on unlimited 4G data in the US

By on September 6, 2012, 7:30 AM

T-Mobile has made good on their promise last month to deliver unlimited 4G data plans free of throttling, overage fees and bandwidth caps. In celebration of their 10th anniversary in the US, the fourth largest telecom is also dishing up a sale on select 4G smartphones for customers who sign a new two-year service agreement with an unlimited data plan.

The company’s unlimited data offering starts at $20 per month when the service is added to an existing Value voice and text plan. If you’ll be combining the service with a Classic voice and text plan, expect to pay a $30 premium each month.

T-Mobile is offering up a number of 4G phones alongside the new data plans at deep discounts. For example, the HTC One S is free after $50 mail-in rebate on a two-year contract. The telecom’s website also lists several other free 4G phones such as Samsung’s Galaxy S II in titanium and white, the Nokia Lumia 710 (refurbished) and the T-Mobile myTouch from LG.

Keep in mind that T-Mobile’s definition of 4G varies from what most consider as true 4G LTE service. T-Mobile doesn’t utilize an LTE service but rather an HSPA+ network that’s capable of speeds up to 42Mbps – theoretically, of course. AT&T, Sprint and Verizon Wireless all offer varying degrees of 4G LTE coverage in the US, however.

Head to your nearest T-Mobile retail store or check them out online to sign up.

psycros psycros said:

This is why you don't let a scumbag outfit like AT&T have a GSM monopoly.

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

TMobile, AT&T and Sprint won't be in business in 5 years.

Verizon offers more 4G coverage then all of them combined.

Verizon's signal reliability is easily superior overall.

All the shiny phones and thier little features companies like Tmobile sell to fool a couple teenie's isn't going to change the fact that in the end its about signal quality and stability of the service itself.

Just my 02.

1 person liked this | Jibberish18 said:

TMobile, AT&T and Sprint won't be in business in 5 years.

Verizon offers more 4G coverage then all of them combined.

Verizon's signal reliability is easily superior overall.

Just my 02.

Is that right? Won't be in business you say? Where do you get your insider secrets?

1 person liked this | likedamaster said:

Verizon also has the higher rates, and the slowest speed of the 4. And oh yeah, you can either call or surf on your phone, not both.

ECHTECH said:

TMobile, AT&T and Sprint won't be in business in 5 years.

Verizon offers more 4G coverage then all of them combined.

Verizon's signal reliability is easily superior overall.

Just my 02.

Signal strength varies with all carries and largely depends on were you are in relation to the towers.

Please enlighten us with more of your insight!

Camikazi said:

Amazing how you say you can't surf and talk at the same time considering I have been doing that on my Verizon phone for a while now.

likedamaster said:

I spoke without thinking. I meant iPhone.

Camikazi said:

I spoke without thinking. I meant iPhone.

That I did not know, what exactly is the reason for that if other Verizon phones can do both (aside from Apple just being slow)?

likedamaster said:

Yeah, I know, it's true though. I decided against Verizon 'cause of it. There's no telling why, though. Maybe the reason why is out there already we just have to google it. (I'm lazy)

Jibberish18 said:

This reply says it well. Found with Google....or was it Bing?

"To say it slightly differently.

In the cdma standard (or series of standards) used by Sprint & Verizon there are different (1.25MHz) channels assigned for the two services: one ('1xRTT' is for voice; and a different one ('EvDO' - which stands for Evolution: data only' is for (surprisingly!) data only.

When you use your phone it can use either one or the other.

This is a design of that standard,, it is not a function of CDMA as a technology, which is why the AT&T 3G network (WCDMA - a different implementation of CDMA) can support both at once: the way the standard was written both voice & data share one pipe (5MHz) and a phone can access both at once."

Jibberish18 said:

BTW I know Verizon was developing something to allow users on their networks to do both at once BUT A) You'd need new hardware to take advantage and B) LTE already allows this and most of their new phones are using LTE so I don't think they care anymore.

Camikazi said:

That could be it, my phone is a LTE one and maybe my last one had the hardware to do this as well.

aaron.w.73 aaron.w.73 said:

The reason you can't on the iPhone is because it only has one antenna,You need two to surf and talk one connects to the 3g network and the other the lte network however Apple opted to put just one antenna in the iPhone!Most android phones put the 2 needed!