Download of the Week: Black Mesa 1.0

By on September 14, 2012, 1:30 PM

Black Mesa, the long-anticipated fan remake of Half-Life, has officially gone live today after eight years in development. For those hearing about this mod project for the first time, it involves a ground-up rewrite of Half-Life using Valve's Source Engine, complete with new textures, physics, dialogues, and more.

The game will reintroduce players as Doctor Gordon Freeman in his journey through the Black Mesa Research Facility, along with the original cast of memorable characters and environments seen in Half-Life. Currently, Black Mesa only covers the first 80 percent or so of the original game, up to the Lambda Core level. The levels on alien world Xen aren't complete yet and will be added at a later date. Black Mesa's developers said the mod in its current form should give gamers "a complete 8-10 hour experience with a solid ending."

The 3.8GB Windows-only download is available for free but requires a copy of any Source Engine game installed on Steam in order to play it. Download servers are being hammered right now, but if you are having trouble starting a direct download from the project’s site, there’s also a torrent available.

This is not the first time we’ve seen Half Life running on the Source Engine. In 2004, Valve introduced a “digitally remastered version” of the critically acclaimed game named as Half Life: Source. But the community felt the advances in graphics and gameplay didn’t reflect what Source was actually capable of. Black Mesa is meant to address this with a much prettier version of Half-Life, and apparently Valve approves enough of the project that it has given it a spot in the first batch of Steam's Greenlight program.

Download: Black Mesa 1.0

2 people like this | Sniped_Ash said:

They're waiting for you, Gordon. In the tesssst chamberrrrr....

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

Oh.

My.

God.

likedamaster said:

What the...

I don't even....

Finally!

Neojt said:

Darn I dont have any source game on my PC :S I do have the original HL

This looks cool.

Puiu Puiu said:

You don't need another game for this, just need the 2007 source sdk which is free.

customcarvin customcarvin said:

Also on NZB matrix.. downloading at 3.1 MB/s :-)

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

The right game in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up Mr. Freeman.

Is it me or is the download painfully slow? I'm using BitTorrent, but while my internet connection is ~20Mbps minimum, I haven't gone above 300Kbps with the torrent.

mevans336 mevans336 said:

The torrent is coming down at 3.2MB/sec for me.

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Downloaded it, took less than an hour. Installed, and WOW, looks great, sounds great, the memories are great. Everyone should give this a download having played it or not.

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

I've got it downloaded now, this is gonna be great fun to play through!

I have been looking forward to this for sooo many years!

Black Mesa is a Half-Life 2 total conversion, remaking Valve Software's award-winning PC game, Half-Life.

^^ From the download page :)

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

I really appreciate all the hard work this team put in, and for free. But jumping is way off in this version. What's with the crouch-jump? And the part you jump box to box suspended over the water in Black Mesa took me about 20 trys. Wound up just saving after each jump. Sometimes it takes the jump, sometimes not.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Incredibly slowly? 300kbps is what I peak at, on a good day, when the planets are aligned perfectly and the Gods on Mt Olympus have an orgy. Australian ADSL2+ ftw

Camikazi said:

That is dial-up speeds there, if that is all you get on your ADSL then you are getting ripped off badly.

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

Would definitely love to give this a try. Hope my average or less than average specs can handle it xD

@Camikazi

@Camikazi: Dial-up is about 5kbps download speed (since rarely people actually hit 56k which would be 7kbps).

Anyways I have a 60Mb connection (actually 63.39 according to speedtest.net). When the server permits I download at over 8,000kbps. Black Mesa downloaded at only 300kbps however, due to the limited speed host I downloaded from. I should have used a torrent since this is a hot download right now, it probably has a lot of seeders. I just didn't want to install a torrent program on my computer.

Camikazi said:

@Camikazi

Yea I exaggerated, but that speed is low though :-)

Soulflare3 Soulflare3 said:

If you're downloading via torrent and want faster speeds you have to edit your client settings and allow more connections to be made at once. Example: http://prntscr.com/fn421

mevans336 mevans336 said:

@Camikazi

There were about 10,000 seeds when I finished my download and yet I still wound up seeding it back to a 40:1 ratio in the span of half a day or so. Crazy. Very popular download.

PinothyJ said:

You do realise there is a MASSIVE difference between 'b' and 'B'?

dennis777 dennis777 said:

Im speechless. kodos to the remaker!!!

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

Any game reviews by TechSpot for this?

DanUK DanUK said:

Played for a few hours yesterday and it was pretty nostalgic! Very nicely done.

I do however get this feeling that... because times have moved on quite a bit since the source engine was released, coupled with the fact I haven't played Half Life 1 in ages.. that the graphics haven't improved at all.

I know obviously they have but it's all relative.. if you get what I'm trying to say.

KulWun said:

@DanUK

This might make the graphics a bit more enjoyable... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX_v9hwR7bw

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

This is perfect for me since I never finished the original Half-Life. I've grabbed it and started it up. Looks much better than I remember HL and even Blue Shift looking.

1 person liked this | spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

After playing through most of this mod, I must say I'm terribly disappointed. The AI is horrible, jumping is a joke, there is no indication you're about to be killed. The game is frustrating. I prefer the original Half-Life: Source even if the graphics are a bit worse... at least the game is balanced and fun. There also isn't much if any more story-line. Very disappointing mod.

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

Mod? I thought it was a re-hash of the original game but taking better advantage of the Source engine.

Blue Falcon said:

"There also isn't much if any more story-line. Very disappointing mod."

Comment fail. This game is not a remake of the original game but original game with updated graphics. If you don't like the story, go complain to Valve.

DanUK DanUK said:

"There also isn't much if any more story-line. Very disappointing mod."

Reply fail. The developers specifically stated they would be expanding on the storyline by filling in gaps and adding stuff etc.