Download of the Week: Black Mesa 1.0

Jos

Staff

Black Mesa, the long-anticipated fan remake of Half-Life, has officially gone live today after eight years in development. For those hearing about this mod project for the first time, it involves a ground-up rewrite of Half-Life using Valve's Source Engine, complete with new textures, physics, dialogues, and more.

The game will reintroduce players as Doctor Gordon Freeman in his journey through the Black Mesa Research Facility, along with the original cast of memorable characters and environments seen in Half-Life. Currently, Black Mesa only covers the first 80 percent or so of the original game, up to the Lambda Core level. The levels on alien world Xen aren't complete yet and will be added at a later date. Black Mesa's developers said the mod in its current form should give gamers "a complete 8-10 hour experience with a solid ending."

download black mesa

The 3.8GB Windows-only download is available for free but requires a copy of any Source Engine game installed on Steam in order to play it. Download servers are being hammered right now, but if you are having trouble starting a direct download from the project’s site, there’s also a torrent available.

download black mesa

This is not the first time we’ve seen Half Life running on the Source Engine. In 2004, Valve introduced a “digitally remastered version” of the critically acclaimed game named as Half Life: Source. But the community felt the advances in graphics and gameplay didn’t reflect what Source was actually capable of. Black Mesa is meant to address this with a much prettier version of Half-Life, and apparently Valve approves enough of the project that it has given it a spot in the first batch of Steam's Greenlight program.

Download: Black Mesa 1.0

Permalink to story.

Darn I dont have any source game on my PC :S I do have the original HL
This looks cool.

Is it me or is the download painfully slow? I'm using BitTorrent, but while my internet connection is ~20Mbps minimum, I haven't gone above 300Kbps with the torrent.

Downloaded it, took less than an hour. Installed, and WOW, looks great, sounds great, the memories are great. Everyone should give this a download having played it or not.

I've got it downloaded now, this is gonna be great fun to play through!
I have been looking forward to this for sooo many years!

Black Mesa is a Half-Life 2 total conversion, remaking Valve Software's award-winning PC game, Half-Life.

^^ From the download page :)

I really appreciate all the hard work this team put in, and for free. But jumping is way off in this version. What's with the crouch-jump? And the part you jump box to box suspended over the water in Black Mesa took me about 20 trys. Wound up just saving after each jump. Sometimes it takes the jump, sometimes not.

Incredibly slowly? 300kbps is what I peak at, on a good day, when the planets are aligned perfectly and the Gods on Mt Olympus have an orgy. Australian ADSL2+ ftw

Incredibly slowly? 300kbps is what I peak at, on a good day, when the planets are aligned perfectly and the Gods on Mt Olympus have an orgy. Australian ADSL2+ ftw
That is dial-up speeds there, if that is all you get on your ADSL then you are getting ripped off badly.

Would definitely love to give this a try. Hope my average or less than average specs can handle it xD

@Camikazi

@Camikazi: Dial-up is about 5kbps download speed (since rarely people actually hit 56k which would be 7kbps).

Anyways I have a 60Mb connection (actually 63.39 according to speedtest.net). When the server permits I download at over 8,000kbps. Black Mesa downloaded at only 300kbps however, due to the limited speed host I downloaded from. I should have used a torrent since this is a hot download right now, it probably has a lot of seeders. I just didn't want to install a torrent program on my computer.

@Camikazi

@Camikazi: Dial-up is about 5kbps download speed (since rarely people actually hit 56k which would be 7kbps).

Anyways I have a 60Mb connection (actually 63.39 according to speedtest.net). When the server permits I download at over 8,000kbps. Black Mesa downloaded at only 300kbps however, due to the limited speed host I downloaded from. I should have used a torrent since this is a hot download right now, it probably has a lot of seeders. I just didn't want to install a torrent program on my computer.
Yea I exaggerated, but that speed is low though :)

@Camikazi

There were about 10,000 seeds when I finished my download and yet I still wound up seeding it back to a 40:1 ratio in the span of half a day or so. Crazy. Very popular download.

You do realise there is a MASSIVE difference between 'b' and 'B'?

Played for a few hours yesterday and it was pretty nostalgic! Very nicely done.

I do however get this feeling that... because times have moved on quite a bit since the source engine was released, coupled with the fact I haven't played Half Life 1 in ages.. that the graphics haven't improved at all.

I know obviously they have but it's all relative.. if you get what I'm trying to say.

Back