Hackers use exploit to massacre entire cities in World of Warcraft

By on October 8, 2012, 1:00 PM

An exploit in World of Warcraft recently enabled a group of hackers to wreak havoc on large cities across a number of servers. The hackers were able to massacre entire cities unimpeded for nearly four hours, killing all players and non-player characters (NPCs) at will.

It is believed that the exploit gave the attackers game master (GM) powers which include the ability to override agreed upon duels and use instant-death skills to perform one-shot kills. We are hearing that busy cities like Orgimmar and Stormwind were targeted across nearly half a dozen servers including Draenor, Ragnaros, Tarren Mill, Tichondrius and Twisting Nether.

It’s possible that WoW expansion pack Mists of Pandaria introduced the new exploit. Alternately, it could have been present for some time and only used sparingly as to remain under Blizzard’s radar.

A member of OwnedCore has already claimed responsibility for the hack. As part of a lengthy discussion on the topic, member Jadd said his team didn’t do any permanent damage and noted that some people thought it was funny to watch. He believes that Chinese gold selling companies are ruining the game, not people like him. Those who didn’t enjoy the attacks should blame Blizzard for not fixing it faster, he said.

Blizzard representative Nethaera says the exploit has already been fixed and should not be repeatable. They are conducting a full-scale investigation into the matter and encourage anyone with information to contact them via email.

jizzyburnizzy said:

Bahahaha thats hilarious!

1 person liked this | tehbanz tehbanz said:

Hmmm, sounds a lot like the south park episode, Brilliant!

SawedOn SawedOn said:

Southpark did it first. Sorry OwnedCore

Hackers? LOL

[Rest of the comment removed by moderator]

1 person liked this | Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

Hackers? LOL

techspot being full of #$@! AGAIN! they discovered a bug and abused it, their not hackers rofl

the crappy tech reporters of techspot did it again.

Guest's gonna guest... I'll be the first to just post this, and let the others of TechSpot rage

Learn definitions before posting such an arrogant reply.

2 people like this | Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

And just in case guest cant read, as it seems to be...

"Hacker means someone who finds weaknesses in a computer or computer network..." there's more, but I'd rather let him educate himself.

If troll 2/10, made me reply twice.

1 person liked this | Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

How do you kill that which has? no life? haha video of it here, got it from Gamespy:

tehbanz tehbanz said:

Hackers? LOL

the crappy tech reporters of techspot did it again.

Yet you continue to come back to techspot? Who is the real ***** here?

1 person liked this | NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

Reminds me of that scene in vege tales. People who abuse bugs for bad reasons aren't considered hackers? >_>

ramonsterns said:

I wish I could do that in EvE every time I saw an AFK bot miner.

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'll admit that is pretty funny! Seems like just the players were targeted and the NPC's were left to business as usual

Kudo's to Blizzard for such a quick discovery and patch on the issue.

But still, bwahahaha!! Look at the bones!

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Corrupted Blood ordeal did it better

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

It's like a Deathwing smackdown, only without Deathwing.

psycros psycros said:

I wish I could do that in EvE every time I saw an AFK bot miner.

You already can. Hulkageddon proved that conclusively - there's no barrier to ganking miners in 7. or below and botting in .8 or higher isn't profitable. The bots are all in nullsec now.

psycros psycros said:

I quit WoW when I saw the gold sellers were spelling out the name of their websites using first level characters floating in the air. Watching first level characters running on water and strolling into 20th level instances w/o being aggro'd didn't boost my confidence in Blizzard, either. The hackers have been running the game for a good while now.

1 person liked this | Modena said:

How do you kill that which has no life?!?!?!?

dennis777 dennis777 said:

Its a funny hack.. hehehe

how about blizzard doing something about the gold sellers? not just in wow but in diablo 3 too

Lol using wiki as the source

Arris Arris said:

Those server names are used in EU and US. Would be useful to specify which (or both) realms were targeted.

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Brilliant. Played it from beta till before Lich King. Funny story to read in the mornin before I start my daily toil

Bwahahaha.. this is what we call mass genocide :D even Lich King cannot stop it

Zoltan Head said:

Laugh? - I almost bought my own beer!

avioza said:

I wish I could do that in EvE every time I saw an AFK bot miner.

Something like this would actually hurt players in eve. There is nothing to loose by dying in WoW, probably why it held no lasting appeal to me.

"I wish I could do that in EvE every time I saw an AFK bot miner."

Why does it matter what time of day you do it? (and why would anyone, even AFK whoever he is, mine bots?)

VitalyT VitalyT said:

Well, this news is just as useful to us as that rocket to the coyote - yahoo!

Tygerstrike said:

This is great!!!! I agree the money farmers need to have this happend to them!!! Maybe Bliz should instigate a system similar to this to take out the chinese money bots. Or the AFK botters. Either way it would be great to see!

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Its a funny hack.. hehehe

Gold sellers do a little bit of good and bad... They setup farming bots and supply the auction house with things that some would rather not farm on their own. Unless you like to farm, then they're annoying paladins using a scroll of resurrection account and are farming all your ore. When Blizzard shuts them down you can watch the supply drop off the AH and the prices climb to the unaffordable. It's an interesting market.

BrianBlaze BrianBlaze said:

I 100% Agree this is not a hack just a bug someone found before Blizzard did lol Kind of like how yo uare not a hacker if you find a script online and use it haha

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Its a funny hack.. hehehe

And, let's be brutally honest here... Gold miners add to the population numbers that Blizzard can parade through the media, and put consistently reliable subscription money into their coffers. So, it's not really in Blizzard's best interests to spend the time and resources in thwarting gold miners, until they begin causing some kind of tangible and provable damage to the population or Blizzard's profit margins.

MilwaukeeMike said:

And it's not like Blizzard can easily hop on over to China and knock on the door of one of these gold farming operations with the cops and make them stop.

My favorite part was Jadd saying "Those who didn?t enjoy the attacks should blame Blizzard for not fixing it faster" Couldn't have possibly been your fault, right Jadd? What a D-bag.

Cota Cota said:

Its called Incompetence, any one who had played WoW know that blizz is ran by a group of down monkeys, even if it was hacking there is a lot of not-hacking crap on the 12 years old fat cow.

Did they died?

It's just a game after all and shit happens.