Weekend Open Forum: What's your favorite horror movie?

By on October 12, 2012, 6:30 PM

Although I don't regret "cutting the cord," there are some inherent drawbacks to relying on Internet services and discs for shows and movies -- namely that you always have to know what you want to watch. That's generally fine because I'm not interested in most of what's on TV and I don't need the distraction that content surfing brings, but there are seasonal periods where I miss being able to let videos roll in the background.

This is especially true throughout October and December as channels dedicate their schedules to Halloween and Christmas-themed films. When I had cable, I'd catch parts of various popular horror flicks around this time every year. I can't even say I liked many of them, but that didn't really matter. They were nostalgic and to some extent, a tradition -- as strange as that word seems to be when describing a cheesy Syfy marathon.

I can technically simulate the experience with a service like Netflix, but at that point I'd rather just build my own catalog locally. If I do that, I might as well add more than cult classics like Dawn of the Dead and Halloween, which is where this WOF comes in: what are your favorite horror movies? As a bonus, for those of you without cable, do you ever miss the passive nature of tossing on a random TV channel for background noise?

humphrey said:

There are a lot of them, cant name just one

night of the living dead

the exorcist

nearly any Hammer Horror

Tygerstrike said:

I would have to say my all time favorite horror movie would have to go to. Nightmare on Elm st. The original. That movie, when it came out, scared me silly. It was even worse later in life when I realized the full "psychological" aspect of that movie. The full body bag being dragged by some invisible force has always left an impression on me.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

The Exorcist - I was stationed in Georgia when it came out. Lots of "old world" superstitious people live in the south. When the movie started, the place was packed. By the time it was 2/3 finished the theater was half-full, and by the time the movie had ended there were maybe 12 people left in the theater.

The rest had run for their lives...LOL.

Runner up: The Omen (the original, not the crappy remake).

Serbian film and august underground

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

A few for different reasons:

The Shining - slow burn

Cemetary Man (Dellamorte Dellamore) - Zombies+ black humour

I Saw the Devil - absolutely brutal

Cigarette Burns (by John Carpenter. Masters of Horror series 1 episode 8) -doesn't get any better for TV

Honourable mentions: Night of the Living Dead, Eraserhead, Onibaba, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956 version) - love the B&W horrors.

treetops treetops said:

Yeah I still have local tv which I use for back ground noise. But its not nearly as good.

I can't watch the old scary movies again if its not dwindling in the background, they just don't appeal to me anymore.

Best newish movies iv seen that I can think of

Drag me to hell

Jeepers creepers

Trick or treat

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

The Ring- (2001 American remake) & The Ringu (the original Japanese film) Gore Verbinsky

Tesion from beginning scene to the end and not a wasted scene. It didn't feel obligated to answer every question and actually left things to the viewers imagination...I know American audiences really hate that, but to bad.

Hellraiser- Clive Barker (best one liners in horror) "....and to think...I hesitated" & "Your suffering will be legendary...even in hell"

Event Horizon- Paul Anderson -a Sci-Fi space horror about a guilty conscious....and it works!....with Sam Neill!

Session 9- Brad Anderson, esoteric film around 2001 I think. I believe it was the first film David Caruso made after deciding he was movie star material.

Nosferatu - F.W. Murnua a 1922 German expressionist film that scared the hell out of me when I was a kid

(the) exorcist

the others

Boogeyman 3

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Werewolf: The Beast Among Us

The Omen (1976)

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

I'm more of a campy horror fan. But among the horror films I've seen for the past ten years, my most favorite is The Blair Witch Project. It works because it connotes what scares us in the dark; The stuff that we can't see happening in it.

Besides Blair Witch, there are few more titles that I like. (The Shining, Drag Me To Hell, Paranormal Activity).

Nice of you to ask, Matt! =D

My favorite horror movies would have to be:

• Evil Dead 2
  • Hellraiser
  • Fright Night
  • Dawn of the dead (original)
  • Day of the dead
  • Trick or Treat
  • Friday the 13th (original)

and I'm sure theres plenty more, its kinda my favorite genre :)

An American Werewolf in London.

Great soundtrack and some fantastic lines and scenes.

Evil Dead II (1987)

Poltergeist (1982)

The Car (1977)

The Exorcist III (1990)

Lifeforce (1985)

Halloween II (1981)

Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988)

and the remake of Halloween (2007)

THE FLY

also Paranormal Activity 1 and REC

HaMsTeYr HaMsTeYr said:

I class myself as a seasoned horror goer, and most western films these days are just TERRIBLE to be honest, they don't even make me flinch, and they're absolutely predictable...

Drag me to hell is a good example of this.

Therefore... I give my vote to the slightly more obscure Korean Horror film...

A Tale of Two Sisters.

That shit is like Horror + Inception

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

I left the genre a few years ago when I realized it didn't relax me one bit to watch a horror movie. Having that said, when seen as a form of art, there are admittedly a few gems worth watching: Psycho, The Exorcist, The Shining.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

LOL...you went to a horror movie to RELAX?? :p

1 person liked this |
Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

Haha, yea I know. What I meant was, I realized it was a guilty pleasure I wasn't enjoying.

2 people like this | Guest said:

Horror movie:

justin bieber concert on cable tv.

ok real horror movie:

the ring (series), both original japanese and english movie remakes.

dms96960 said:

Alien

The Thing

1 person liked this | Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

Titanic..

Everything people has said is well a disney movie compared to august mordum underground

Gamesinner said:

Salem's Lot always scared the hell out of me as a kid.

Antichrist, that is all.

Marnomancer Marnomancer said:

The Exorcist (though now me and my pals laugh our arse off at it.

The Ring.

Grudge, Japanese and English version. (ok, this one does occasionally freak me out..) We use it to scare new friends in the group nowadays.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

The Shining and the Hellraiser series are my top movies.

gcarter gcarter said:

Im not a big fan of the "gore" genre.. movies such as Saw and Hostel turn me off... give me a good haunted house movie every time... among my faves...

Session 9 (2001)

The Changeling (1980)

Burnt Offerings (1976)

The Woman in Black (1989) (the original not the remake)

As others have mentioned, Im also a big fan of asian horror, again the likes of The Ring, The Grudge etc

Oh and one of my all time fave sci-fi horror has to be:

Event Horizon (1997)

I'm a hoarder when it comes to movies - got rid of my dvd collection, now just have several external drives containing digital coppies of my horror collection accessed by XBMC

Night on Bald Mountain (Fantasia) - seen when very young...

Ranger12 Ranger12 said:

Quarantine. That's about it. I'm not a huge fan of the horror genre. I think mostly because out of all the genres horror films seem to have the least amount of plot and/or character development.

I liked silent hill that movie rocks

3DCGMODELER 3DCGMODELER said:

The Creature From The Black Lagoon..

tkeys356 said:

Candyman and Jeepers Creepers

Classic, Watched them when I was like 10 and didnt sleep or look into mirrors for days lol

Dawn1113 said:

Well, I can't list them all as there are just way too many. But here are some of my all time favorites:

1. The Shining

2. Psycho

3. The Exorcist

4. Night of the Living Dead

5. The Ring (Japanese version, most definitely)

6. Nosferatu (both the 1922 and 1979 versions)

I'm tempted to add the Australian film, "Lake Mungo" onto that list, but I'm yet undecided. Have to watch it again to check if it still makes the hairs on my arms stand on their ends. Haha!

free4rm said:

Hellraiser is the one movie that really freaked me out when I saw it in the theatre. The Evil Dead/Army Of Darkness series is always fun to watch around Halloween!

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Night of the living dead - still get chills from this classic

Insidious that movie was just creepy

gooderguy gooderguy said:

I was never a big horror movie fan, more sci-fi I guess, but I did like space horror movies, and my favorite would have to be the Alien movies. Aside from that, I do remember the Signs movie was not bad either. Oh yea and the Fire in the Sky was decent too

CFSG1 CFSG1 said:

Poltergeist!

Well, too much to say, but every japanese (or Asian) version horror movies that remake by America are not that good..

VitalyT VitalyT said:

I like only sci-fi horrors:

- Event Horizon

- Aliens

- Pitch Black

- Resident Evil (excluding last one)

- Predator(s)

Cota Cota said:

The thing its by far the most cientific accurated terror movie, but I gotta say my childhood fear was IT :3

k9182000 said:

Titanic..

lol so true. The only problem is it's not much of a horror if you know the ending though lol. You would have to been living under a very big rock to not know what happened to the Titanic lol.

TitoBXNY TitoBXNY said:

The rest had run for their lives...LOL.

Runner up: The Omen (the original, not the crappy remake).

The original Omen is my runner up as well. I remember going home terrified and checking my scalp for 666, lol

Any Jane Fonda movie ;)