Built-in advertising: The Windows 8 feature you haven't heard about

By on November 12, 2012, 7:30 AM

Windows 8 has been one of the most anticipated and talked about tech launches of 2012. Discussions intensified as the operating system neared and for the most part, everything went off swimmingly for Redmond. Sure there was the post-RTM update ahead of Microsoft’s October 26 release date but there’s something else with Windows 8 that most aren’t yet aware of: built-in advertising.

The advertisements are reportedly found inside some of the applications that ship with Windows 8 under the Modern UI (Metro) user interface like Finance, News, Travel and Weather. Advertisements in free mobile apps or even trial software are perfectly understandable, but how should you feel about finding ads inside software you paid full price for?

Several prominent figures from around the web are voicing their opinion on the issue, both in defense of the ads and against them. As ZDNet highlights, John Gruber from Daring Fireball simply believes it’s “gross.”  But it’s not just Mac fans that feel that way as Paul Thurrott from Supersite for Windows essentially believes it cheapens the operating system.

ZDNet’s Ed Bott doesn’t feel the issue is nearly as big of a deal as Gruber and Thurrott, however. Instead of seeing this as another revenue stream for Microsoft at the expense of paying customers, he says the ads are simply part of a project from Microsoft designed to inspire Windows 8 app developers.

Granted, the ads themselves aren’t terribly obtrusive. In fact, most say you have do a little digging to find the ads which is probably why we haven’t publically heard about them sooner. As Bott points out, the ad in the News app is found by swiping through seven full screens in landscape move. It’s similarly placed in the Sports app shown above as well.

Have you had an opportunity to try Windows 8 and if so, have you noticed the ads before? How do you feel about them being in a piece of software you’ve already paid full price for?

1 person liked this | Timonius Timonius said:

Social experiment. They're testing to see what they can get away with and how. Eventually people will not care if there is no other option as long as it works.

You only thought that was your computer.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

'feature' you say?

another 'feature' to stay with 7

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Wow, Microsoft, this is low even for you, If I pay for pretty much anything I ideally prefer and except to be no ads when it comes to software, I'm sure they'll be a way of blocking them though.

1 person liked this | Lionvibez said:

One more reason to stay on windows 7.

Punkid said:

my point exactly, when I pay for something, I expect not to see crappy ads,

1 person liked this | DanGoodchild DanGoodchild said:

Has anyone noticed how MS operating systems are like Star Trek movies?

They seem to get it right every other release with the rest being pretty awful.

98SE = good

ME = bad

XP = good

Vista = bad

7 = good

8 = starting to look like another turkey.

Emmc15 Emmc15 said:

To be honest it is not that bad as these are all in news apps, its just a modern day adaption of the newspaper the way they have ads in them, and like said above it is not that obvious to spot or else ms would be in a lot of scutiny

Isn't the endgame of all this going to be people who would normally have made an effort to stay legal with their PC will now feel no compunction to pay for Windows 8 any more than they would for hotmail, gmail, web search or any other ad-supported service they use?

1 person liked this | Guest said:

"...most anticipated and talked about tech launches of 2012."

I would agree with the "most talked about" But I strongly disagree with anticipated. Me, my friends and family do not like the look of windows 8. We went to best buy to try it out, it was awful (on a desktop)

1 person liked this | Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Although I have come across some adds, but it isn't half as bad as people think it may be. But having said that, I think MS is getting 'fair' price for windows 8, and if I've paid that I simply don't want to see any adds, period.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

I have never tried Windows 8. I will never purchase Windows 8. Windows 9 is inevitable(as Brad Pitt would say), so I am kicking back for the next 3 years as I wait to see the direction of Windows 9 and as I watch all the "I gotta have the latest and greatest software" nerds keep getting it from behind from Microsoft. I shouted it from the rooftops that Windows 8 was a piece of garbage and no one listened. Can you hear me now "gotta have it now" tech nerds? LOL.

As Grady Seasons says in the movie "Color of Money". "It's like a nightmare isn't it? It just keeps getting worse and worse doesn't it?". We told you so.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Emmc15 said:

So, you basically says that if I have a printing shop and you come to me to print you something, I have the rights to add my watermark on it?

Newspapers put adds for profit and lowering their end price.

Why should MS do it?

2 people like this | captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

To me, Windows 8 seems like M$ is taking a page from the Apple playbook with Metro apps, as they attempt to herd users to the (M$) "iStore".

The Windows franchise, (at least up to now), has permitted open development of 3rd party apps. With Vista & 7, they've tightened their grip a bit more, with warning screens about applications "attempting to make changes to the hard drive of this computer". Well that, and the mandatory signed drivers. However, these provisions are ostensibly targeted at consumer protection.

But now, M$ seems to be wresting more control from the end user, on an incremental basis. As this version is targeted at the less informed consumer, simply put, M$ intends to make a killing at their "app store", preying off people who don't know they have other equally sound, but free, choices. Applications most of take us advantage of on a daily basis,Not to mention some of the best apps for a home user, are freebies! In a worst case scenario, open source development gets frozen out of the Windows arena, simply but virtue of additional control by M$, coupled with an accelerated release schedule. Open source can't keep pace, and M$ and Adobe bilk you for all they possibly can.

Even at 40 bucks, Windows 8 doesn't present itself as a bargain, if you have to pay for everything you get for free now.

I'm really hoping enough desktop users will abstain on this release to cause M$ to rethink the whole thing.

As far as ads go, in and of themselves, it seems to me there is a finite amount of money in the world, so that advertises can't get the slice of the pie to which they believe they're entitled. The flop of the Facebook IPO, should have driven that point home, but it's doubtful.

So, in our "Brave New World", the economic model is heading toward advertisers paying telecoms for ad space, and the telecoms charging charging exorbitant fees for "smart phone" contracts. God only knows, farming is beneath our dignity. Oh well, maybe somebody will come up with "an app for that"....

Zecias said:

There are so many bandwagon haters it's ridiculous.

It's like any time there is any bit of controversy, the haters declare: "LOL I TOLD YOU SO. Metro sucks. Windows 8 is a piece of crap. I have to troll forums spreading hate because my opinions are important. I knew windows was going to suck before you did and I'm so much better than you simpletons who don't blindly hate windows like me."

2 people like this | Guest said:

Zecias said:

"Tell me more about how windows 8 is a piece of crap even though you've never tried it...

There are so many bandwagon haters it's ridiculous.

It's like any time there is any sort of small(yeah, small; non obtrusive and you have to go through 7 pages to find one) bit of controversy, the haters declare: "LOL I TOLD YOU SO. Metro sucks. Windows 8 is a piece of crap. I have to troll forums spreading hate because my opinions are important. I knew windows was going to suck before you did and I'm so much better than you simpletons who don't blindly hate windows like me."

People might actually listen to what you have to say if you had any substance in you post. Posts like these are just big circle jerks for windows 8 haters, making themselves feel valid even though there is very little reasoning to speak of. Maybe you should actually try the OS for more a good length of time before forming your opinion, so that your argument has more credibility."

My response:

"If you purchased Windows 8 and you fall into the category of 'Mom and Pop', 'teenage girl who just wants to browse facebook' or general 'simpleton'" I have nothing bad to say against you. You have my condolences.

If you are a tech nerd who has been using Windows for years and you knew what Windows 8 generally was and you still dropped your pants and bought it 'anyway' because you have an uncontrollable addiction to having the 'latest and greatest software' then you should be ashamed of yourself for sending Microsoft the wrong message. People who knew exactly what this garbage was and bought it anyway.

And the lame argument about me having to try it to form an opinion is weak. I have never once did cocaine and I still recommend that people don't go out and try it either. I know "enough" about cocaine to know that I should never have to try it. I know "enough" about Windows 8 to know that I don't want that garbage as my main operating system. I don't post to validate my decision not to use it. I feel more than comfortable about that decision. I post to wake people up, so that, God willing, Windows 9, isn't just as bad, when I look at it in 3 years.

If you feel good about purchasing Windows 8, thats wonderful. Enjoy. I can't help you. :)

"But...but....but.....its boots faster!!!!!!!!". LOL

1 person liked this | captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

There are so many bandwagon haters it's ridiculous.

My most reliable OS and internet computer is...., (wait for it).... a 1995 eMachines T-5226 with ......, (wait for it again).......Windows XP Home, SP-2.

Vista DID suck, to one extent or another. I tried that quite by accident, as it came with a bargain laptop I bought.. I never actually would have spent money for it. But in that case, the pundits were quite right. At least to the extent that it wasn't worth walking into a store and buying it outright.

So, I see your view yourself as sort sort of visionary, and the rest of us as plebeians, who simply don't know or understand quality when we avoid it.

For myself, the touch screen interface at the local Redbox kiosk, is more than sufficient to satisfy my needs. If you think I plan on buying new IPS displays with a touch screen interface so I have to wash my hands every time I fire off a rebuttal, you're mistaken. And really, isn't the touch screen interface the most salient point of Windows 8?

Ads don't upset me a much as the furor these ones being discussed in this thread. The modern internet's ratio of useless ads to useful information, is increasing on what seems like a daily basis. Many sites are practically unusable without script blocking. So, I guess we're just fed up, spent out, and tired of looking at ads, so they really don't deserve to be in a bought and paid for OS.

To be fair, Adobe uses this model with "adobeupdate.exe". They rarely publish actual updates, they just use it a a vehicle for advertising. So, that makes "adobeupdate.exe" ADWARE, nothing more.

Then we have Windows Media Center, or actually now we don't have Windows Media Center. That I actually use, and M$ can stuff Metro. Is it possible that M$ deleted the media center so they don't have to pay royalties on codecs, and included ads in 8 so they could get paid for them? That's pretty close to "double dipping", cutting features, and adding advertisements, wouldn't you say? So, I don't really think anybody has to try Windows 8 to not like it, 'cause it practically unsells itself.....:p

My response:

"But...but....but.....its boots faster!!!!!!!!". LOL

"I post to wake people up, so that, God willing, Windows 9, isn't just as bad, when I look at it in 3 years."

If this is really true, then why would you ridicule those who have bought it. All it does is give them further incentive to disregard your comments. If you truly intended to "wake people" you might try to convince people that windows 8 is as bad as you say it is. Everything you said in your first comment is either about your self or an attack on those who have bought windows 8. It seems like its only purpose is self validation to me.

Oh and also... I never once mentioned that I bought windows 8, but if it makes you feel better assuming I'm not a "true tech nerd" like you and I bought windows 8, that's wonderful.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I'd just like to dash off a big "thank you" to both of you, for doing my trolling for me.

1 person liked this | TechMancer TechMancer said:

I am *****ing bricks. Consumerism has gone too far.

Zecias said:

I never even said that I like windows 8, nor have I said that I bought it. The only reason I was arguing with the guest is because the gist of his post was: "I told you so, windows 8 is bad. You're an ***** if you bought it."

edit: the ***** = id iot

MilwaukeeMike said:

yeah, but more people read the article if we can get really worked up about it. Anyway, TS seems to really dig to find things to rip on windows about. Last article about searching and how it hasn't improved. Now there are *gasp* ads in a news app?!

All sounds like a big witch hunt to me.

Zecias said:

You never really understand much of what I post. Or are you just trolling me? Or perhaps a bit of both?

This is so far removed from what I actually posted I don't know what to say.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Zecias said:

"Oh man... comparing cocaine and an OS. If you try cocaine, you are killing people. You are funding drug cartels, completely different from an OS. There are scientific facts behind cocaine addiction and its effects whereas your opinions on an OS are just that, opinions.

Why would you make light of faster boosts? You know, there are plenty of people who have shelled out $100+ for just that."

My response:

Dude seriously? The cocaine thing was an 'example'. Not to be taken literally like you did in your reply. Enough said on that.

I ridicule one class of people. Nerds who should have should known better but because of this deep uncontrollable desire to be update(or maybe it's more of a fear of being 'not in the loop') they go out and purchase crapware like Windows 8. Curiosity killed the cat. Curiosity is going to kill Windows 9. If people buy Windows 8 just to 'try it out' it sends the wrong message to Microsoft. If Windows 8 sells millions of copies because of people who just wanted to try it out but had no real compulsive interest in the operating system itself, Microsoft will produce the same shit in Windows 9. And then I will have no choice but to migrate to a Linux based operating system where I am in control of things and not Microsoft.

I don't know where you get your thought processes from. I guess if you wanna take a deep dive into the philosophical realm, yeah, every message I post is about me and for me. I hate what Windows 8 is, and I am trying like hell to voice my opinion, so that Windows 9 isn't more of the same. So yeah these posts, from a philosophical point of view, are all about me. Not sure what that adds to the conversation though. *puzzled look on my face*

Again with your next statement you leave me puzzled as hell. If all my posting energy was an attempt at self-validation for remaining on Windows 7, why wouldn't I just go out and buy Windows 8 like a good little sheep? Wouldn't that be easier for me to self-validate by spending $14.99(when the opportunity was present) versus me writing all these posts? Your points just seem to fly in the face of logic.

If Microsoft had declared Windows 8 as the last and final operating system they were ever going to make I would let bygones be bygones. All these energy is an investment in what Windows 9 may ultimately become. If I don't express my dislike for Windows 8 Microsoft will think everything is fine. And Windows 9 will be more of the same. This isn't self-validation. It's an attempt, however small an impact it may have, at shaping the future of Windows.

The reason I make light of faster boots is because people are willing to put aside the fact that Windows 8 is a tablet OS and runs most applications full screen using a touch-centric interface all because it's boots faster.

It would be analogous to me saying, "Hey, kid. I'll give you a $100.00 bill if you assume this $1,000 promissory note that's in my name." And the little kid says, "Yeah, mister it's a deal". All the little kid sees is the $100 bill and doesn't realize he's getting it up the ass in the long run.

People are willing to give up complete and total control to Microsoft because their system "boots faster". Now, is that not worth laughing at?

1 person liked this | captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

So, our only point of impasse is this, I don't see where it's necessary to try Windows 8, to know that you don't like it, or don't want it. That's what all the hype surrounding its release should tell you, whether or not it's right for you.

In my case, I gave some specificity to my reasoning behind not my being interested in becoming involved with it. It wasn't really an emotional response, or one motivated by my being "brainwashed".

And as I always like to point out, "your results may vary".

TechMancer TechMancer said:

You know what? Who cares? Stop the god damn arguing!

Zecias said:

And as I always like to point out, "your results may vary".

I seem to be getting lengthy responses from you, so I guess the guest isn't the only one getting trolled

"On the other hand, you have assumed the posture of defending Win 8, and quite vehemently at that. The syntax of your posts, tend to give rise to the belief that you are indeed, a proud owner of this OS." exactly, but I don't own it.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

This is so far removed from what I actually posted I don't know what to say.

This is so far removed from what I actually posted I don't know what to say.

No dude, you're just way "too deep", for my somewhat limited intellectual capabilities.

If you like I'll edit the line that has irked you out of the offending post.

With that said, ask yourself, "is my syntax all that it could be, to avoid such misunderstandings in the future". I don't think it is But as you said earlier, you don't seem to believe I'm able to grasp your advanced concepts.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Oh lord, don't give yourself too much credit for that. First off, I'm very rarely even capable of posting a "short response". Second, I have my internet computer under a bridge. (Keep that under your hat. It's information I only share with a "select few"

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Has anyone noticed how MS operating systems are like Star Trek movies?

They seem to get it right every other release with the rest being pretty awful.

98SE = good

ME = bad

XP = good

Vista = bad

7 = good

8 = starting to look like another turkey.

Would it be possible for you to post your, "thumbs up/thumbs down", take on the Star Trek movies, just so I can compare notes? (BTW, are you including the ST Next Generation movies in your synopsis)?

Someone seems mad.

What's the point of using an example if it doesn't work?

all I ever said was that if you say something, you should back it up with some proof and some reasoning. You said that your posts were supposed to convince people not to get windows 8, but they are all about you and not why you shouldn't buy windows. I guess you just couldn't put two and two together.

I never said you were trying to validate staying with windows 7, I was trying to say your were validating your hate for windows 8. You have a habit of assuming things that I don't say.

You shouldn't try to rationalize human emotion, it is irrational and illogical.

It's funny how you are the one talking about logic. Maybe you should take a look at what you write first. Or perhaps try to read what I wrote when you've cooled down a bit. It doesn't seem like you understand anything I've written, yet you keep replying.

wow, I guess miracles do come true. I never expected to get any sort of reasoning(regarding your hate of windows 8; that rhymes ) from you. Even if it is just one uninformed sentence among paragraphs of writing. Windows 8 is a full fledged PC OS. You can get rid of the touch interface. The functionality has actually improved when compared to windows 7. If you were the least bit educated on the subject you would know this. They have improved transfer screens, improved task manager, it's more secure, faster boot, etc...

I don't really trust software reviews because I know that you can't really understand everything until you try it. There are small things that might annoy one person, but not the other. It's the culmination of those small things that determine whether or not you like the OS. If there are these small things that annoy you on a frequent basis, then you probably won't like the OS.

If you play video games, you probably know what batman arkham asylum is. It is universally regarded as a good game by critics and normal gamers alike. I don't like the game. It doesn't mean it's bad, it's just not for me. You can say the same for pretty much any piece of software. Reviews are nice, but you should always take them with a grain of salt.Which is why I say you should actually try it first, you can't know everything by simply reading a review. And you haven't even taken that step.

My gripe was never with you hating windows 8, it was with the way you did it.

Zecias said:

I have trouble with that too, don't worry about it. =P

Zecias said:

I'm getting kind of bored of this. Might or might not respond if you post again.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Is it boredom seriously, or a flareup of carpal tunnel? LOL (Yes, I hate comics that laugh at their own jokes as much as the next guy. Well, except my own)!

I wouldn't consider them unobtrusive as my Skype video pane has an advertisement running across the bottom of the screen.

Captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

"OK first, you and "guest" are doing a damned fine job indeed of trolling one another, thus making my life much easier, since all I have is a clunky old keyboard to respond. So, thanks again."

My response:

I am not sure how 2 people expressing opposing opinioins qualifies them as trolls. I thought the definition of a troll was someone who posted messages simply for attention or to try and push buttons. While I admit I do like to make my posts memorable with colorful language to get my points across, the original intent is not of a trolling nature. I guess even though I offer very logical responses I automatically get labeled as being a troll for posting LOLs? *shurgs*

Anyhow, oddly enough, You actually articulate my own beliefs better than I might have been able to do.

captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

"There's a Windows 8 thread, and most of the "proponents" of Win 8, seem to be disappointed in themselves because they just don't like it, but think that they're obligated to do so."

I think people "want" to love Windows 8 but deep down inside they don't. But because they already purchased it, or maybe because they think(wrongly so) that there is no alternative operating system to go to, that they must accept Windows 8 as their only fate and somehow learn to live with it and love it, if they just give it a chance.

I have no reason to self-validate by posting negative rants about Windows 8. I haven't made a decision that I cannot change. People who have already made the decision to purchase Windows 8 have to live with that decision and therefore seek validation for decision. If you've already purchased Windows 8, you have, as captaincranky so states, a misguided heartfelt 'obligation' to like it because you already spent the time and money on installing it and using it. I have not invested anything in Windows 8. Haven't even tried the CP. I can give Microsoft my credit card right now and download it if I want to and have instant self-validation in my soul. Problem is, deep down inside, I dont want to. That's the whole problem with Windows 8.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

My response:

What the heck is "shurg". Could that be turned into the present participle form of a verb: IE "shurgging".

A comedian once said in a routine about being rejected by a girl who told him "he had sweaty palms". He opined, "when you're holding hands, it's hard to tell whose hand is doing the sweating. I hope you're able to interpolate that analog to the art of trolling. As you punishment if you can't, you have to go back and withdraw the whole cocaine analog.

Glad to be of service...

captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Bear in mind that I had absolutely nothing to do with the "self validation" remark. I didn't publish it, sponsor it, nor do I endorse it.

You have to admit, you did come out swinging on the Windows 8 issue. Unsurprisingly, people will push back just as strongly. It's a concept of physics that oddly manifests itself in human behaviour, "equal and opposing forces, (attempt to), cancel each other out". Peace.....

Zecias said:

I'll repeat myself for the 3rd time, "you don't have to own a copy, or even try a copy of Windows 8, to know whether or not it's right for you, or even if you would like it". It doesn't have the media center module, and I have no use for a touch screen interface. Done! Me no buy!That was the thrust of your rant at guest, you have to try it before you can say that you don't like it. My position is, "no, you don't".

I never questioned that.

If you like I'll edit the line that has irked you out of the offending post.

you can save your fingers the pain. =)

imagine a list of comments like that.

I hate windows 8.

Windows 8 rules.

No, windows 8 sucks.

No, it's awesome.

Ok, you hate windows 8, the other person likes windows 8... why should I care? There's no substance, it's just pointless drivel.

As for preventing misunderstandings, it's too hard to account for.

Windows 8 is not PC operating system anymore, after 15 years started learning Linux what how I hate uptil cause not friendly at all and irrigate and bullshit.

VitalyT VitalyT said:

And to think I was about to try and like Win-8, this one is a blow below waist.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I have no idea exactly what you're trying to say, but you did spell "bullshit" correctly and you get one point for that....

(But only one point! You're lucky I don't take that away on account of the double post).

avoidz avoidz said:

An obnoxious move. If the day comes that I'm forced to use Windows 8 I'll be looking for the adblocker tool asap.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

II wasn't referring to the concepts, just my writing. The concept is simple. I don't care what you think about windows 8, I just hate it when people say they hate something and give no reasoning as to why. It adds nothing to the conversation.

imagine a list of comments like that.

I hate windows 8.

Windows 8 rules.

No, windows 8 sucks.

No, it's awesome.

As for preventing misunderstandings, it's too hard to account for.

OK look, "Guest's" rant was anti consumerism. I consider that a valid reason for not being interested in Windows 8.

I also agree with you, that to patently judge something without explanation, is indeed irritating. It's irritating because it's usually done in a manner that makes one believe the originator is a victim of brainwashing. The same could be said, perhaps more strenuously about positive statements made toward a product, since advertising is a euphemism for "propaganda", and "propaganda", is a euphemism for "brainwashing". People ingest propaganda, then they spew propaganda! It's practically the circle of life....

In practice, many people don't have the time, or choose to spend the time, laying out the foundation or their belief system.

There's probably a component of self defense in there, from getting sucked into too many political and religious arguments.

But yeah, mindless people say mindless things. If you get a chance read a bit of Piaget. His theories about our "concrete operational", and "abstract operational" stages, could be of value to you in sorting these issues out.

For example, our Philadelphia Eagles suck on a not at all intermittent basis (*). Yet Philly people love them, and continue to buy season tickets, year upon unending year. So, what do you think you'd hear from their fans, if you asked, "why do you like the Eagles? I'd say if someone said "because" that person would believe he, (or she), had, "elaborated". In reality, all they're doing is making the team owner a very rich man. Because God knows, they're not going to see them coming home with a Superbowl trophy, at least probably not in my lifetime.

Personally, I spell the team's name, "E-E-G--H-O-L-E-S", and I won't be buying either a season ticket, or for that matter, a copy of Windows 8, anytime in the future.

(*) Clever use of a double negative, if I do say so myself.

pmcardle said:

What rock did you crawl out from?

Any news site you take has a crap load of ads and one need to pay a dollar for it. Windows 8 is a whole OS in less than 100 bucks. It's good to see the low OS prices with few non-distracting ads in it versus spending $400 on ad-free OS where all the 3rd party apps keep popping up numerous ads.

dennis777 dennis777 said:

Ewww ads... with data cap and internet speed every data counts... cheap mS

tonylukac said:

@captaincranky: The media center option is available free for download till the end of January if you by windows 8 pro. I think you get it at window.com.

2 people like this | captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Ya know Tony, I appreciate you looking out for me. But honestly, I haven't seen anything in Windows 8 that compels me to even want to try it. That's not a judgment on its quality or lack thereof. It's butt ugly, I have no need for a touch screen. I have XP machines all over the house so I can run Nero 6. Most of the other software I use is free, with the exception of Photoshop, and Photoshop Elements. There's no chance of M$ herding me to some dumb "app store". I don't need a stinking smart phone app to get inundated with local news on an instant's notice. It repeats every 20 minutes anyway. I don't have a smart phone, I don't need a smart phone, I don't want a smart phone, which again excludes me from win 8's, "target demographic". Hell, I don't even answer the land line I have. How could Windows 8 possibly "enrich my life"?

The Win 7 task bar, Aero interface, and slide show background is a constant joy to me. Why would I ever go to this new gobbledegook, that for all the world, looks like a bad photo of a set of Fischer-Price children's blocks?

There was an iPad commercial on TV not too long ago, exhorting how you could, use your iPad to control your TV"! I must be really an anachronism, because there I was, thinking to my myself, "isn't that what the stinking 10 dollar remote than came with the TV is for"? Little did I know you needed to spend 6 bills to change the channel, or face social disgrace. Again, proving my unsuitability as a prospective Win 8 user.

I usually build a new computer for myself for Christmas. (It's a dirty, thankless, unnecessary overindulgence, but nobody else will do it for me)! The Win 7 Pro 64 bit is already, "hung by the stockings with care", in the hopes that "St. Cranky Claus" will soon be there.

Pan Wah said:

Thank you, that's really cheered me up (y).

Time to move to Linux, it's free, it's ad free, truly an OS for the user.