Redesigned, speedier iTunes 11 now available for download

By on November 29, 2012, 3:00 PM

One month after initially planned and with just a day to spare on its second deadline, Apple has finally released iTunes 11. The newest version of the company’s desktop media player and digital storefront has been redesigned from the ground up with a completely new interface and more iCloud-centric features.

The redesigned client features an “edge-to-edge” design that’s meant to take better advantage of the space on the screen, with new library views and album artwork that bear more than a passing resemblance to the music application for iOS. Cover Flow is gone and in its place is a new expanded view that shows the track listing, as well as a quick link to the iTunes Store for related content without having to leave the player view.

Download: Apple iTunes 11 for Windows, Windows 64-bit or Mac OS X

The status bar and left hand bar with Music, Movies, Podcasts and more is also gone from the default view, replaced with a drop down in the top left of the app. You can switch both back on, though. Navigating through your library might take some time getting used to if you’re coming from the previous desktop client, but overall it is a more consistent experience across Apple’s services and devices.

Among the new features is the ability to play purchases directly from iCloud -- they’ll appear right alongside your local content. It’s also possible to start a movie or TV show on any iCloud-enabled device and pick up where it left off on another -- so you can start watching on an Apple TV and finish on the iPad later.

Search functionality has been improved, a recommendations system will suggest songs based on what’s available in your library,  and a new feature called Up Next lets you see which songs are coming up and allows you to re-order them. There’s also a new mini player that’s been stripped off most of the controls.

Perhaps the most welcome improvement has less to do with new features and more with performance. Apple’s iTunes has a reputation for being sluggish and increasingly bloated as Cupertino patched new features onto it over the years. But iTunes 11 feels lightweight despite the ~85-200MB installer and is legitimately fast.

Download: Apple iTunes 11 for Windows, Windows 64-bit or Mac OS X

Quick Tip: Apple has removed the sidebar showing devices and content categories on iTunes 11 by default. To show the sidebar again, on the top menu click on View and then select "Show Sidebar". There's a keyboard shortcut to accomplish the same: Ctrl + S in Windows, or Option + Shift + S in OS X.

marinkvasina marinkvasina said:

Installed on Windows 8 Pro (64bit) and doesn't work... doesn't launch joys

Because you're using a bad OS, iTunes 11 works fine.

peperonikiller peperonikiller said:

Installed on Windows 8 Pro (64bit) and doesn't work... doesn't launch joys

Because you're using a bad OS, iTunes 11 works fine.

How is it a bad OS?

I'm running Win8x64 as well I'll give it a shot.

peperonikiller peperonikiller said:

I enjoy it as well, and "Windows Key + X" makes up for no start bar on my desktop lol

tsweeler tsweeler said:

iTune 11 is the best iTune ever. Because Apple will will sue anyone that does anything remotely similar, don't draw an apple ever again unless you want to be sued!

darknessangel said:

What the hell? Coverflow is gone! that was most likely the only reason I used iTunes ! meh... I'll be bouncing back to Winamp. I'm ditching my iPad for a Surface anyways.

misor misor said:

I thought "windows" key + "x" = rolls eyes

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

*edited*

It's not bad, but I don't like how it auto adds itself to windows start up without asking. Also to get a more tradiational view of itunes back, look under the "view" tab to add side bar and such.

pmcardle said:

I installed iTunes 11 on a Windows 8 Pro desktop and could not view any singly connected devices. The device icon would appear in the upper right but when selected it would disappear. I final tried connecting two devices (iPhone and iPad) and the button now reads "2 devices". I can now select and pick which device I want to view and everything appears to be working. Once I unplug both and plug just one in I have the same problem that I originally started with (I.e. button disappears when selecting and nothing happens). Is anyone else have the same issue?

pmcardle said:

Never mind, I figured it out. I was pressing the stupid eject symbol on the button. When 2 devices are connected there's no eject symbol. I'm an *****!

Same here, my device disappears.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

But does it support FLAC yet? That's the real question! :)

Winamp FTW ;)

1 person liked this | captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Somebody explained to me that iTunes went out of its way to cripple a Windows computer, by loading a bunch of nonsense / unnecessary processes when installed on one.

Can't say whether this is true or not, as I won't touch it with a ten foot pole. Not even a borrowed ten foot pole.

marinkvasina marinkvasina said:

Yep there are way too many processes, I don't know why they work with such bad developers. People want simple and low-resource solutions, not this crap..

Anyways on a mid-end computer this shouldn't affect you at all.

PinothyJ said:

Winamp FTW

A mere shadow to foobar2000...