Report: iPhone responsible for half of all U.S. smartphone sales

By on January 23, 2013, 7:30 AM

Last week speculation surfaced suggesting demand for Apple’s popular iPhone may be slowing. That thought process was at least partially based on a report from the Wall Street Journal claiming Apple may have overestimated demand and is in the process of reducing orders for handset components.

We’re still waiting to hear official numbers from Apple later this week but preliminary figures from a number of different sources seem to suggest that might not be the case at all. The latest is from research firm Kantar Worldpanel ComTech which says that for the last quarter in 2012, the iPhone was responsible for 51.2 percent of all smartphone sales in the US.

The firm points out that sales of Android handsets accounted for 44.8 percent while Microsoft’s Windows Phone platform scooped up 2.6 of all smartphone sales. Kantar analyst Mary-Ann Parlato said in a statement that Apple’s continual improvement is thanks to both the iPhone 5 and older models attracting various customer groups, ranging from repeat Apple shoppers to first-time buyers and those coming from competing brands.

Kartar also notes that 36 percent of iOS sales in the US came from users switching from other platforms – most notably, Android. Specifically, 19 percent of new iOS users in 2012 were previously carrying around an Android handset. That figure is up 10 percent year-over-year, we are told. 35 percent reportedly upgraded from a previous model while another 30 percent were first time smartphone buyers, according to Kantar.

1 person liked this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

If that's the case it's a sad state of affairs & I don't believe a word of it. I can't believe 51% of all U.S. citizens are basket cases.

hitech0101 said:

Does apple have an patent/policy on iphone users for not moving from iphone to android?

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Measured in my circle of friends, this is certainly not the case. I'm seeing more HTC Evos and Samsung Galaxys these days.

So how many free iPhones are given out to these companies for lying about the smartphone sale research? iPhone sales are no more than 40%, and even at that:

Total Android devices topple iOS devices > 3 to 1.

Just saw someone post online: "Don't know why I didn't switch to iPhone sooner! I've been on instagram all day!"

...Instagram is available on Android devices as well. Point made.

Arris Arris said:

Probably also unaware that instagram take copyright of any any photos they take using the app.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

I haven't paid attention all that much before, but as of late, I've been noticing that these "Research Firms" are full of S*IT! ...and mean through and through!!

The propaganda machine working at full speed.

...and not just in regards to research on phones.

Jim$ter said:

I believe it. I see tons of iPhones and I'm glad. If I text someone and your not blue I hate you.

MilwaukeeMike said:

Huh? Quote from the story "It might not be the case that iPhone sales are slowing down because 52% of the smartphone sales in Q4 2012 were iPhones." Well... what were they in Q3, was it 55%? Cause if they sold more in Q3 than in Q4, then they're slowing down.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Jim$ter said:

And here, ladies and gentlemen; is the epitome of your typical iPhone user. Need I say more?

I know its a reflex for all you apple haters to call anyone that think IOS is Superior to Android a fan boy or I sheep(which doesn't actually exist) , but honestly, the Android experience was horrible for me. Tried a new droid for a week (dual 1.5Ghz, 4.5 screen, ICS etc) it for a week, HATED it. went back to my 2 year old iPhone. At least I tried it.

ok, bring on the militant Android comments

1 person liked this | Rasta211 said:

All those iPhones sold and you can't lower the price?

m4a4 m4a4 said:

All those iPhones sold and you can't lower the price?

It's one of the reasons that I hate apple...

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

All those iPhones sold and you can't lower the price?

Greed begets greed or something like that.

Honestly speaking there's not a helluva lot wrong with Apple products, it's the company itself that gets me riled up.