Google+ tops Twitter to become second most popular social platform

By on January 28, 2013, 7:00 AM

Results from Trendstream’s Q4 2012 Global Web Index indicate that Google+ is now the second most popular social platform on the Internet. Facebook continues to hold on to the top spot by a large margin, but it’s the shakeup from second place on that will likely be a surprise to many.

According to the research firm’s data, they estimate that Facebook had an active user count of 693 million at the end of 2012 – significantly more than the estimated 343 million active Google+ users. More importantly, however, is the fact that Google+ was able to trump Twitter in terms of popularity. Surprisingly enough, even YouTube barely edged out the microblogging platform to claim third place at around 300 million active users.

It’s worth pointing out, however, that active users and total users are two totally separate figures. To illustrate that point, the firm says they believe Facebook now has 903 million user accounts across 31 different markets among people ages 16 to 65 yet only 693 million are believed to be active. The firm further states that if they scale things up to include the 10 percent of Internet users they do not survey and account for all age groups, Facebook likely has more than 1 billion user accounts.

And even the metric of active user may not mean exactly what you think it might, especially considering how a number of services and websites use tie-ins to social networks for login purposes or other reasons.

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

Seriously? My G+ account just stood right in the corner while my Twitter is pretty much in greater use.

treeski treeski said:

I tried G+ for a while after it launched, but didn't really get into it. I have never used Twitter before.

Staff
Jesse Jesse said:

Wow, China has a lot of social networks...

Julien Julien said:

I wonder how access is measured. Is it measured based on the number of individuals that have signed up for google+ or is there a measure for usage? If not, perhaps it is the case that more Google users - such as gmail users - are more than those who have signed up for Twitter.

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Google has somewhere in the ball park of 450 Million Gmail accounts, out of those 300 Million have signed up for Google+. Not bad, but at the same time Goolge pushed their service on already existing Gmail users, almost relentlessly, I finally gave in but don't use it like I did Facebook back when I had an account. The whole social network thing ins't very interesting, and was a lot of time wasted looking back. Glad to see they try to estimate the active accounts, not the number of accounts, everyone knows the 1 Billion account number for Facebook is inflated by duplicate accounts, businesses, and of course bots.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Well of course it does. You can't get a new gmail/youtube account anymore without Google forcing G+ on you, and the constant nagging of current users to join G+ will eventually wear people down. I flat out refuse to join Google+, Facebook, or any other social media site that forces me to use my real name.

1 person liked this |
Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

Between Youtube and Gmail users, that must make the bulk of G+ users from a real usage standpoint.

1 person liked this | Jim$ter said:

Am I the only one who smells something wrong? It seems like a ghost town to me. I'm sure google is paying someone off. Kind of like how they slam chrome on ever computer. I really lost respect for them since they started this g+ and I think many others have also.

Techspot, are you really this idiotic?

The story is about how Google+ has now moved into second place and has passed Twitter,

but in order to log in and leave a comment you have to connect to either Facebook or Twitter.

FAIL!

I signed up for Google+ when it came out. Nothing ever happened.

Recently they added communities, and it has become one of my most favoured places to go on the Internet. It has completely replaced the need to go to all the various forums all over the Internet, and the growth is phenomenal. Because people post with a real profile it's generally a much better discussion than you see elsewhere. I find I learn something new every time I go on Google+, and unlike Facebook, it's not about where my cousin is visiting or where my friend went on her date.

I've also found that many of my friend are becoming active in Google+, and for me, it's almost completely replaced Facebook. The overall reason why; it's just better.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Techspot, are you really this idiotic?

FAIL!