Google Giving donates 15,000 Raspberry Pi computers to children

By on January 30, 2013, 2:00 PM

Google is helping to find the next generation of computer scientists by helping to donate 15,000 Raspberry Pi computers to various school-aged children across the U.K. Google’s Eric Schmidt and Raspberry Pi co-founder Eben Upton visited a school in Cambridge recently to distribute the first batch of systems and teach a programming lesson.

It’s all being made possible by Google Giving, the search giant’s charitable arm, in the form of a grant to the Raspberry Pi Foundation. The grant is providing the funding necessary to purchase the computers which will then be distributed to children with the help of six educational institutes: Codeclub, Computing At School, Generating Genius, Coderdojo, Teach First and OCR.

Each organization will have a supply of Raspberry Pi computers that they can hand out to children who demonstrate an aptitude and passion for computing. In addition to the computer itself, each child selected will also receive a teaching and learning pack created by OCR that will help them get started with the machines right away.

The Raspberry Foundation noted in a blog post that they were absolutely “made up” over the news, saying it is a brilliant way to help them find kids all over the country whose aptitude for computing can now be explored properly. It’s also a step in the right direction to solve the CS education problem in the U.K. and shows that companies like Google aren’t going to wait for the government or someone else to fix the problem.

tonylukac said:

Why don't they donate one to me, or someone in the us?

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

They want to get children addicted to Google during their most formative years.

Wouldn't it be "cute", if they put them in plastic baggies, then gave them out in schoolyards....."C'mere kid, I want you to try something said the Google man, who was shading his mouth with one hand, so that no one else could hear....:eek:

If I had my way, anything Google wouldn't be permitted within a 1000 feet of a school. Since this is happening in Britain, that's about 320 meters, give or take.

ikesmasher said:

Im a child! I swear!

1 person liked this | captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Im a child! I swear!
Proving once again boys and girls, early exposure leads to a lifetime of addiction, shame, and dependence...... :eek:

Cota Cota said:

What a waste! give me one so I can debug my algorithms at low cost!

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Man I wish I went to a Cambridge school and university , they always get on the news