A third of Facebook users are planning to take a break this year

By on February 5, 2013, 2:30 PM

A new study from Pew Internet Project reveals that a number of people are planning to reduce the amount of time they spend on Facebook this year. In fact, more than 60 percent of respondents say they have already taken a voluntary break for at least several weeks since first signing up for the service.

Data from the study shows that nearly 30 percent of people plan to take a break from Facebook at some point this year. The reasons are aplenty, with more than 20 percent saying they are simply too busy with real-life activities. 10 percent said they have lost interest in Facebook, the same percentage of those polled said there was an absence of compelling content, nine percent were fed up with excessive gossip and drama while eight percent said the site consumed too much time.

As PC Mag theorizes, Facebook is slowly becoming the worn-out toy that gets tossed aside to make room for new things. Nearly 35 percent of respondents said they spend less time on the site now than they did a year ago. 28 percent said Facebook is simply less important than it was last year.

Pew Internet Project  director Lee Rainie said the data shows that people are trying to make new calibrations in their life to accommodate new social tools. The director says a lot of people are now questioning how important updates from friends really are – weighing the pros and cons of social network usage in an effort to determine if the time invested is worth what they get out of it.

4 people like this | davislane1 davislane1 said:

I jumped ship on Facebook before jumping ship on Facebook was cool.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Someday something better will come along, millions of people will rush to sign up and forget about good ol' Facebook. It's human nature. Maybe it's just me or my old schools ways but I've never seen what's so great about Facebook.

1 person liked this | davislane1 davislane1 said:

I've never seen what's so great about Facebook.

Vanity.

Jack Thompson Jack Thompson said:

That means that the productivity at work will increase. I better start buying stocks.

1 person liked this | VitalyT VitalyT said:

I've never seen what's so great about Facebook.

Vanity.

A great chance to speak for people who's got nothing worthwhile to say

1 person liked this | Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Finally some positive news regarding the second biggest waste of time to be put on the internet. I am surprised that only "nine percent were fed up with excessive gossip and drama" that's all Facebook is, pointless drama and gossip, actually the reason why I got fed up myself. The relevance of the content is just none existent for the vast majority of what happens on Facebook, when you come to that conclusion you have no choice but to delete your account. The only thing I miss was sharing pictures with friends, now I use alternatives, but they still use Facebook unfortunately, but they'll smarten up eventually.

veLa veLa said:

Sadly without my smartphone the only tool for communication I have is FB

soldier1969 soldier1969 said:

I left FB over a year ago then came back recently but starting to regret coming back on, havent missed much.

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

Well good luck to them, all I can say.

Lurker101 said:

I've never seen what's so great about Facebook.

Vanity.

A great chance to speak for people who's got nothing worthwhile to say

You're confusing social networking with politics.

Anyway, I'm wondering just how many people will do the same as I've done in that they take a short break from facebook and never come back.

Are they talking about FaceBook or World of Warcraft??? Anyone seeing a trend?

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

If Facebook disappeared tomorrow I probably wouldn't notice.

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

If Facebook disappeared tomorrow I probably wouldn't notice.

Haters will, obviously.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Where did I state I hated it? I merely alluded to it being superfluous to me. It's my opinion and my opinion only. If you're in love it, so be it.

Okay easy there with your "superfluous" comments.

Millions of people also use this social tool to communicate with those they have not seen in years, create groups that allow in-person social functions to happen (As I am currently doing, with much success) and simply NOT using it for "Farmville" or what ever nonsense others may use it for. It's also their choice, so let the haters hate. They'll simply go to another social networking website immediately after.