Seven million iOS devices jailbroken using evasi0n in just four days

By on February 8, 2013, 3:00 PM

Evasi0n, the first jailbreak available for iOS 6, launched earlier this week and in just 96 hours time, it’s managed to capture the title of most popular jailbreak ever. According to Jay Freeman, the person behind the jailbreak app store Cydia, roughly 7 million iOS 6 devices have connected to the store this week.

In a recent interview with Forbes, Freeman said the latest jailbreak has brought in a huge amount of traffic compared to past jailbreak releases. Specifically, he’s seen 5.5 million iPhones, 1.35 million iPads and around 400,000 iPod touches visit the store as of Thursday evening.

The Cydia chief points out that one of the reasons evasi0n is so popular is because it took so long for an iOS 6 jailbreak to launch, meaning the anticipation to jailbreak had plenty of time to build up for many users. Looking back, it took 14 days to crack the iPhone 3GS, 38 days to jailbreak the iPhone 4, 98 days for the iPhone 4S and 136 days to get into the iPhone 5. It’s likely that the trend will continue as Apple invests more time and money into making their firmware more secure.

It’s also worth pointing out that there are now more iOS devices in the wild than ever before which could also skew the numbers slightly. Apple managed to sell 136 million iPhones last year according to analyst firm Canalys. Cupertino warned against users jailbreaking their device earlier this week following the evasi0n release.

Yeah, 7 million, but how of those have had to restore their iPhone like me?

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Ooooo, that is so illegal, and I am so telling...!:p

Now all I have to do is get my hands on 7 million dimes to drop....

Zeutrinox Zeutrinox said:

Dem cheap shyts. Haha.

Apple can't keep it's little sheep in the pen much longer

[image link]

The iPhone 5 was jailbroken from the release date, tethered. Though the jailbreak community stated that they were working on more exploits for future releases and said why waste a loophole on a minor update (6.0.x).

Rippleman Rippleman said:

I could JB mine... but... I have always found myself asking "why?"

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I could JB mine... but... I have always found myself asking "why?"
A more progressive line of reasoning might be, "why not"?

Twixtea said:

As far as I'm concerned Jailbreaking is not illegal.

Obtaining free software copies through jailbreaking though is.

The reason for jailbreaking for me is rather simple, to not be carrier locked in the United States.

I use a Straight Talk SIM card in my iPhone, its an MVNO of at&t, I get the exact same service that

at&t provides at half the price. I NEED the app TetherMe that comes through cydia to change my APN Carrier settings.

If I was not using Straight Talk, there would be zero reason for me to jailbreak. However, the Evasi0n Jailbreak has not changed anything functionality wise with my phone, I think that the people that are having issues with their phones after running the jailbreak are either clueless or

apple bashers.

adamsmith0123 said:

The reason I jailbreak my phone is to customized it further and also, there are a lot of great apps and tweaks not found in app store that will help me become productive. I'm glad that there is a jailbreak.