Samsung confirms March 14 debut of Galaxy S IV in NYC

By on February 25, 2013, 1:00 PM

Chalk one up for the rumor mill as Samsung has confirmed that the Galaxy S IV will make its debut at a Mobile Unpacked event on March 14 at New York City’s Radio City Music Hall. The electronics giant made the announcement earlier today during a press conference at Mobile World Congress.

A Samsung representative confirmed the date but declined to offer any further details about the phone, according to All Things D. Some anticipated seeing the handset at MWC this week but in what’s becoming a trend as of late, Samsung opted not to debut their new flagship device on a shared stage.

Instead, Samsung unveiled an 8-inch version of the Galaxy Note tablet just as we thought they would. The tablet is strategically positioned between the 5.5-inch Galaxy Note II and the larger Galaxy Note 10.1 slate and is expected to challenge the Nexus 7 and iPad mini.

Most believe the Galaxy S IV will carry a 5-inch display operating at 1,920 x 1,080. A quad-core processor of unknown origin (perhaps a Snapdragon 600 series chip) could power the device alongside 2GB of RAM. The handset is also expected to feature a 13-megapixel rear camera, a microSD card slot, NFC, LTE, wireless charging and Android 4.2 Jelly Bean.

The event will mark the first time since 2010 that Samsung will unveil a handset in the US. The Galaxy S II was first shown in Barcelona in 2011 while the Galaxy S III arrived in London a year ago.

2 people like this | reinisnud said:

The question is, Do you need to keep it in charger because of that screen resolution and specs or can it be unplugged for 2 minutes?

I don't get way so fast releases. People buy a new very expensive phone every year?, I'm very happy with my S1 running cyanogenmod.

JC713 JC713 said:

They are just trying to compete with Apple.

Tygerstrike said:

Apple has released 2 phones a year since the Iphone 3. Samsung is just attempting to keep their market share versus what Apple releases. The GS3 has been a MONSTER for Samsung. Im sure Apple didnt see this phone being as big of a hit. Add on to that the Galaxy Note 1&2, and Samsung has effectivly pinched Apples market. Now comes all the fun questions. Is Samsung going to be able to keep this level of innovation up against companies like Apple. Companies that by the way, are looking at Samsung with a very sharp eye. They want to know why everyone who isnt getting a iphone is getting the GS3.

veLa veLa said:

I sure hope the S4 is a big enough upgrade from the S2.

JC713 JC713 said:

I feel like Samsung phones are a bit too large though. They need to stop increasing the screen size in my opinion

Agreed on the size thing. I have the s3 after having the s1. After a few weeks I still think the size is a bit much.

Even though this is a higher number then the S3 I think this is just aimed at a person who would need little more than an S3 so basically I don't think this is a altogether phone with drastic improvements like we saw from S2 to S3 just an upgrade of the same thing

I have the 5.5 inch Galaxy Note 2 and after a few months I want a bigger screen. I hope the Galaxy Note 3 has a 6 inch screen while maintaining the same phone dimensions as the current size is very comfortable. Small bezel and a bigger screen, the 3100mah batter is already great but I upgraded to a 4500mah which keeps the original back plate. I get 20 hours screen time.

1 person liked this | captainawesome captainawesome said:

2 phones a year? Really? Which two phones have been released in the same year?

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

2 phones a year? Really? Which two phones have been released in the same year?

I was thinking the exact same thing, I'm 100% confident Apple only releases 1 phone a year, think this guy is an Apple hater and therefore making up numbers is natural xD

Tygerstrike said:

@Burty @capt

Apple releases the original handsets, I.E. Iphone 4 then roughly 5-6 months later they release a updated version of the originally released handset and put a S behind it. Once again I point to Iphone 3 then 3S Iphone 4 then 4S Iphone 5 next will be 5S. I do hate Apple and I own a Iphone 4.

1 person liked this | Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

@Burty @capt

No they don't! Its every year!

Release Dates:

iPhone - June 29, 2007

iPhone 3G - July 11, 2008

iPhone 3GS - June 8, 2009

iPhone 4 - 24 June, 2010

iPhone 4S - October 19, 2011

iPhone 5 - September 12, 2012

How could you possibly think they released a new phone every 6 months?! only a quick Google brought all these dates up!

Agree entirely , I love the note 2 and a 6" screen would be great as long as the overall dimensions stayed the same.