Only 29% of core gamers to purchase next-gen console at launch

By on March 1, 2013, 5:00 PM

The latest report from research firm NPD Group reveals that just 29 percent of core gamers are planning on buying a next generation console as soon as they become available. Those aren’t exactly the sort of numbers that Microsoft and Sony were probably hoping to hear but if recently releases from Nintendo and Sony in the form of the Wii U and PS Vita are any indication, they could be pretty accurate.

NDP Group polled more than 6,000 people in the survey but only 887 qualified for their definition of a core gamer. Core gamers are described as players over the age of nine that play games for five or more hours per week on an Xbox 360, PS3, PC or Mac. Furthermore, they must play at least one game that fits into any of the following genres: play action, adventure, fighting, flight, massively multi-player, racing, real time strategy, role-playing, shooter or sports game.

In January, Sony CEO Kazuo Hirai said sales of the PS Vita were on the low end of expectations and just last month, the company announced plans to slash the price of the portable gaming system by as much as 33 percent in Japan. Sony said the move was a result of feeling increased competition from free and cheap games sold on smartphones and tablets.

I would venture a guess that a lot of the success of next generation consoles hinges on the initial launch price. If Sony and Microsoft are dead set on launching at a price point that’s deemed too expensive, odds are it’ll be some time before they are able to make strides on the new platforms.

1 person liked this | TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Pretty meaningless survey. I "might" buy all sorts of stuff this Christmas too. Wait until the systems show up, the advertising is going full blast and kids start screaming at their parents that their best friends have one, how come they don't.

They'll sell plenty of these units, no two ways about it...

Carlos GarPov said:

I do agree with what TomSEA posted here. I have not been asked in this survey and I am planning to get one of these next-gen consoles.

This study was done in the US only pretty much. There's a big console world outside the U.S. you know.

jcarr11 said:

Definitely going to get the new xbox the second it comes out.. unless my second job falls through then I need money for food

JC713 JC713 said:

I am going to buy a next gen console if I cant build a new PC this summer

theBest11778 theBest11778 said:

Like many people I've fallen on hard financial times recently, and considering how horrible the job market it is it makes sense that only 29% are up to drop between $400-$500 for a new toy. I've also noticed a huge increase in PC gamers, at least in the 20-30 age group. Most people realize they need a PC for work regardless, why not throw in a $150-$200 GPU, and skip consoles entirely. Considering the next gen consoles GPU power is equal to todays $150 Graphics cards... I think this might be the generation most people will skip.

1 person liked this | TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

That sure as hell won't be me. I've gotten quite comfortable playing my games a year or more after launch, and saved quite a lot of money in the process.

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

Probably right considering not many are going to want to dish out the most likely $500+ purchase price right away.

I'm buying at release, but will probably get a ps4 once the price drops. Tbh it's not even the price the problem, but rather the plethora of problems 1st generation always end up with...

^ I meant im probably NOT buying at release.

m4a4 m4a4 said:

If I'm in a good financial spot, I might. Well... as long as they have the proper incentives and games :P

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

I suppose I don't qualify as a 'core gamer. Although I play for an hour or two most days it's PC only and then it's only single player. I don't have any interest whatsoever in any console. I also only buy games when they hit basement bargain status apart from the GTA & Assassins Creed series.

As alluded to earlier, it's a stupid survey.

Puiu Puiu said:

They need to sell these consoles at around 400$. Anymore and it will not sell well this winter.

But in the end it all depends on what they will have available on lunch. Sony showed us that they will have lots of good games and I'm sure they will show more games at E3. Let's see what microsoft has.

windmill007 said:

Pretty sad people think $400 is a good price point. I was thinking $249 or $299 max. Any more forget it.

davimous said:

There are three reasons why I won't be buying right away. The first being that the consoles seam to be glitchy and break often when first released. Second, the quality of the graphics at release are hardly better than the previous generation (look at Halo 3 and then look at Halo 4). And lastly the price is to high and will come down in a year.

killeriii said:

Already got my next gen console. The Wii-U!

Although, I do plan on buying a PS4 when it's released.

You'd have to pay me to buy an Xbox.

Ill just stick with my PC, and continue to forget about consoles.

We deny we'll ever buy the newest toy, and then we're always the first in line when it arrives.

JC713 JC713 said:

Already got my next gen console. The Wii-U!

Although, I do plan on buying a PS4 when it's released.

You'd have to pay me to buy an Xbox.

The WiiU is disappointingly not a next gen console. it is the catchup to the 360 and PS3. It is actually weaker than both of them still

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I have a hard time getting excited when it comes to buying a new console. I know the games are expensive, but what really bothers me is that I'll need to buy additional controllers for the family since the accessory market is where they make up a lot of their income.

cmbjive said:

I know with 100% certainty that I am getting PS4 and Xbox 720. The wife has already given me permission.

jackal2687 said:

I heard a rumor that the Xbox Kinect 2.0 will be a mandatory connection to play these games and be online. I have an issue with this simply because of privacy, I don't want anyone peeking through the lens of my Xbox Kinect and spying on me. How about the microphone? That thing picks up everything!

Simply put, if either of the newest consoles require some sort of monitoring to be online, I'm out.

technogiant said:

Silly survey really....most core gamers are more allied to the pc....If they had surveyed the more numerous "middle ground" they would have got more promising results.

I class myself as a core gamer and would "like" to get both consoles as I don't wish to miss out on exclusive game titles, killzone, mag and the halo series to name a few. But really don't think I can justify the expense for just a handful of titles, certainly my current xbox360 has sat idle for at least the last 2 years even though I've kitted it out with the latest gadgets to enable mouse and keyboard use (xim3) which cost more than the console itself......I got wooed back to the pc by better graphics, cheaper games and no yearly xboxlive subscription.

Sarcasm Sarcasm said:

Lol hardcore gamers are "over the age of 9"

Because $399 and $499 is like a million bucks to them. So of COURSE they aren't planning to buy another system especially if Mom and Dad says "It already plays Call of Duty."

AlienOverlord said:

What does this mean exactly? If it means 29% of current gen owners will buy a new system at launch than that's be about 20 million of each system selling at launch. How's that bad?

I bought a PS3 at launch (for $600) but I didn't have anything to play video games on at the time so it seemed worthwhile. I bought it over an Xbox because of the built in hard drive and bluray. I'll buy next gen once there are a handful of games I really want.

I'm more excited about the virtual reality being developed by Oculus. I'd buy that even if it only had one decent game.

HiDDeNMisT HiDDeNMisT said:

I know im getting the PS4 and the vita. Not sure tho about the new xbox 720. Maybe a few months after it comes out.

ikesmasher said:

I hope microsoft knows I cannot afford a new xbox if it costs any more than $225ish and doesnt come with enough space to begin with...

1 person liked this | Guest said:

I always think of the first adopters of new tech to be the guinea pig sheeple type who have more money than sense.

As previously mentioned the consoles have their problems in 1st gen, its an expensive beta testing. How does a machine last left on over night in a dusty corner cabinet type area of the lounge. A few PS3's and a butt load of Xbox360's died.

As much as I want to have the latest console... I feel its way too soon for me. I don't want a PS2, PS3, PS4, Xbox, Xbox360, Xbox720, all in one room. But the backwards compatibility failure winds me up no end. I WANT to play some of my older games because they are classics, and will always remain brilliant and nostalgic. But I don't want to have to buy new HD versions, then new 4K versions.

And backwards compatibility has to be one of the most essential freaking additions to the new consoles, if you are going to do this stupid one code crap to prevent second hand sales. It means the product I have bought is too useless to sell on, so I have to keep it, and either play one the old console or pay out a 2nd or 3rd time for a game on the next gen.

For me I will wait a year or two. Unless I get enough money to get a sheeple mentality.

killeriii said:

Sure it is.

Nintendo leaves the petty Resolution and framerate game to Sony and M$. Nintendo leads by innovation with hardware.

The Wii has outsold both the PS3 and Xbox360 by a LARGE margin. I expect the Wii-U to do the same.

AlienOverlord said:

Sure it is.

I don't see that happening this gen. A lot of the people who got a Wii were people who aren't regular gamers and probably a lot of them only played one or two games but were not heavily invested. Those people won't be in a hurry to get the newest from Nintendo. In fact, a lot of them are probably clueless that the WiiU is a new generation of console, they might think it's just a tablet add on. That's if they've even noticed the WiiU at all.

Most likely only regular gamers will pick up a WiiU and then only after it has games that people really want to play. Nintendo faithful will pick it up sooner but it won't get close to Wii sales.

JC713 JC713 said:

Sure it is.

A remote with a small touchscreen isnt what I would call innovative. The wii u is more expensive than an xbox and has less memory and a smaller ecosystem.

kebab2000 kebab2000 said:

Sony and MS needs to clarify a few things first. Especially with all the stories going 'round about NOT being able to lend out titles and so forth. The older 360 will still be on sale 5 years from now because the 720 ain't sellin'

lol

1 person liked this | Guest said:

LOL they care about Core gamers now. I was in the understanding they were abandoned with the release of the Kinect and such.

PC = Core gamers

Consoles = Family fun time

JC713 JC713 said:

PC = Core gamers

Consoles = Family fun time

As much as I dont want to agree, I have to lol

avoidz avoidz said:

Well if the current price point of $1000 in Australia for the PS4 (just the console, no games) is true, I can't see too many first-gen buyers on day one.

JC713 JC713 said:

there are plenty believe me. some game preorders on amazon like Tomb Raider is going for 99 here in the USA