WOF: How many unread emails are in your inbox right now?

By on March 8, 2013, 6:00 PM

Unread emails. For some it's just an easy number to ignore but others will feel the need to sort through it all and decide what's archived, deleted, replied to, or just left there for later. The number of apps and services that promise a better way of handling email are proof of this.

With dozens and hundreds of emails piling up in our inbox every day, the idea of having zero unread emails is not an easy goal to attain, and it's even harder to maintain. Today I want to ask you: How many unread emails are in your inbox right now? Do you even care about having a clean inbox? Do you use something in particular -- a desktop client, hosted service, and so on -- to help you deal with email?

JC713 JC713 said:

I check my email daily, and get alerts on my phone, so 0

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Zero in my Gmail, even if I'm not interested in the email I still mark it as read to keep it all clean.

Work email has about 40k unread messages however, I get lots of "spam" emails

JC713 JC713 said:

Work email has about 40k unread messages however, I get lots of "spam" emails

I remember when I put my email in for KB toys when I was young to email me when the Nintendo DS was released, and of course I get like 20 junk emails daily after that. My gmail is great, and blocking features help reduce my spam in my Outlook.

RH00D RH00D said:

0 because I actually use email.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

None. I keep up on my e-mails quite regularly. Now my boss on the other hand? He probably has 2k unread e-mails that have piled up over the last 4 years he's been here.

misor misor said:

Almost zero.

I regularly check emails in the morning, at noon, in the evening, and before going to sleep.

thunderbird for my yahoo email ads.

windows live mail for my microsoft accounts.

samsung galaxy y (wifi) for my sole gmail account .

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

0 I read them or delete them each time I check. Now if you look at the unread messages in my trash over the past 30 days, then that is probably in the 50-100 range.

VitalyT VitalyT said:

0, as I have to check my email about 10 times a day, plus I use multiple email alerts.

alexandrionel said:

3339 unread emails. It does not include spam.

Staff
Jesse Jesse said:

Zero.

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

Work email has about 40k unread messages however, I get lots of "spam" emails

Ditto.

cmbjive said:

Before I dumped my yahoo account I had about 5,000 unread e-mails. Add another 1,000 from Gmail and 500 from outlook and you get the idea that a) I am a lazy person or b) I am a lazy man.

I choose b. :P

yRaz yRaz said:

3217. Most are junk that I'm too lazy to block or delete

Zero

You need to stay organized!

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I have 3 accounts: One main one, one half-main, and one for junk sites.

I check my main accounts everyday, but leave my junk one for months at a time. There's about 80 odd emails in it right now that I haven't read, or are plain spam.

Zeromus said:

Taking the time to actually click the unsubscribe links in spam is quite useful, and I tend to use email notifications with small polling intervals. So that's a zero for me.

soldier1969 soldier1969 said:

0. I hate unread email, its like dirty dishes in the sink. Can't stand any to be unwashed and not put away. Call it OCD I guess.

learninmypc learninmypc said:

4 email addresses & zero unopened. I use an email notifier but check several times a day anyhow.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I get more RSS feeds than I do Email and keep both cleared a few times daily. To be honest I get more RSS feeds from TechSpot than I do any other sources combined.

veLa veLa said:

At least 9000

5,000 + in my yahoo

1,000 + in my gmail

0 in my work email

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Whats the point in having email, if you are going to let it stack up into the thousands of unread mail? You know you will never read it all, so you might as well delete them and start over.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

The inbox is telling me over three thousand. Most of those though, are probably duplicate notifications from Techspot.

I'll usually delete every one but the most recent, but not always.

I keep warning and banning notices too, just because I'm a sentimental old fool at heart. Certainly not because I think I'll learn anything from them...

I have a gmail account, their spam filter is pretty good (I have a different mail account that I give when I know I am going to be spammed). When (rarely) I get spam, I immediately report it.

I have 0 (zero) unread emails in my account and I like the fact that when the email client tells me "2 new email messages" that means that I actually do have 2 new messages to read.

1 person liked this | captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

It is said, "Mussolini made the railroads run on time".

Dude, I think you're channeling him.:eek:

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

3339 unread emails. It does not include spam.

So why not just delete them? It's unlikely you'll ever read most of them.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

It is said, "Mussolini made the railroads run on time".

Dude, I think you're channeling him.:eek:

It's true. He probably studied Adolf Eichmann's methods.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Absolutely zero in all thee of my in boxes. If I'm not au fait the sender I simply delete without opening.

Leeky Leeky said:

I've got 14 unread emails in my main account account now, but if you included all of my accounts its probably about 50 or so. I heavily filter filter spam and regular emails so as not to fill the inbox with repetitive emails and I also use quite a few different email accounts as I prefer to keep everything separated. I also get all of my email either direct from my servers webmail or through Gmail and have every account on my tablet and phone. So wherever I am I can get access to them as they arrive.

I find I have to be quite strict with keeping on top of emails otherwise my inbox just explodes within a couple of days (I receive around 150 genuine emails a day). Usually unread messages are read but haven't been actioned. I found using a folder to place inside emails that needed a response just resulted in hundreds building up. So now I pretty much read every email as its received and either delete, archive, follow it up immediately or mark it as unread so I know it needs actioning one way or another later.

highlander84 said:

0, I get notifications and my inbox has less than 10 read e-mails in it. I like it to be very tidy. I have however seen people with well over 10k unread. When I ask they say their not important...yeah I know their not but how can you find something that is in a mess like that? I also use Gmail.

WaveZero said:

0 and always has been... I set up filters for each email, all unknown emails either goto the spam folder or unknown folder.

tw0rld tw0rld said:

I have three email accounts. Hotmail, Gmail, and my favorite Outlook. I keep them all clean I hate cluster. I create folders for messages I want to keep, and delete the others.

ArthurZ ArthurZ said:

1,155 not spam

Renrew Renrew said:

0 on my main account, 3 on my spam catcher account (Just cleaned it today, I had 733 unread messages)

Blkfx1 Blkfx1 said:

As many others have said - I have zero. I hate messy email inboxes! I have 5 email accounts I use daily and each of them sync straight to my phone. I go through them everyday and delete / save them accordingly.

tonylukac said:

Average about 15 unread at any given time. One thing to note is that I lose emails at all clients. Gmail (and this is the best one) has to be "primed" daily; have to send it 1 every morning or I don't get any gmails for the day. Probably has to go thru too many hooks of surveillance.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

You do know that as personality types, "obsessive compulsives", and "chronic procrastinators", are pretty much polar opposites, don't you?

OK Clifford 'fess up, which one are you?

Arris Arris said:

About 90 on hotmail, zero on gmail, but mostly only Google mail me on my gmail.

QuaZulu QuaZulu said:

None. I use MailWasher as a filter, gives me the options to delete without downloading or bounce emails back to spammers (and others I don't like).

Now read, unsorted emails in my inbox...until yesterday that was 850+, now down to 33 that need my attention.

Raoul Duke Raoul Duke said:

Zero in Outlook. when my first e-mail address started getting too much junk mail I created and moved everyone I wanted to, to the new one then deleted the old account. I keep it clean to keep the pst file small and Outlook responsive.

rvnwlfdroid said:

Like several other people I have 0 unread in my inbox. Mostly due to the fact that all 3 accounts are setup on my phone so it makes it easy to scan thru them during the day. Of the three accounts one for family/friends, one for registering products or receiving online purchase information and one for the forced website registration.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

OK Clifford 'fess up, which one are you?
Honestly, I don't know!! One thing is for certain though, I am hard headed. Once I get an idea in my head, a mere hammer may never change my mind.

budnik said:

In gmail 12,095 unread

BlueDrake said:

I have 0 in my main inbox (Hotmail) and likely a few hundred (lazy to check) in Gmail. It's forwarding all general emails I get, which I then check read as I use it for video notifications or such. After I build up like 200 or so emails, I just go and sort them into folders or delete. It's mostly from who I follow, and don't like to forget what new videos might be out. Yes I could endlessly refresh a channel / check whenever but it seems silly with 10+ channels at least.

If an email actually doesn't get through, I check my Gmail but other than that I ignore it. Since it's either filtered by Gmail or Hotmail, which can be a pain if it's possibly important. Hotmail is set to exclusive so, I don't see those useless spam emails. Saves a lot of email skimming honestly, with a double filtering to weed out junk.

I don't like reading email in external apps, it's more time to keep opening another app in the end. Since I try to keep a low active app count overall, due to I have to use a rather meh system.

davislane1 davislane1 said:

As of now: 147.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I just checked my Gmail account. It says "you are using 0% (.1GB) of your 10.1GB.

So, with that in mind does it really matter if I don't read somebody's email, or leave it in my inbox? I already know what they say.

They all say I should spend money at the store who sent the Email, and that I will save money when I do....

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I've got zero unread emails, but 18,899 emails that I've archived.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I've got zero unread emails, but 18,899 emails that I've archived.
And you couldn't just simply round that up to 19,000.? Oh, OK then maybe, 18,900?

I'll bet there's another one there already, just while we've been talking about it....

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said: