WOF: How many unread emails are in your inbox right now?

Jos

Staff

Unread emails. For some it's just an easy number to ignore but others will feel the need to sort through it all and decide what's archived, deleted, replied to, or just left there for later. The number of apps and services that promise a better way of handling email are proof of this.

With dozens and hundreds of emails piling up in our inbox every day, the idea of having zero unread emails is not an easy goal to attain, and it's even harder to maintain. Today I want to ask you: How many unread emails are in your inbox right now? Do you even care about having a clean inbox? Do you use something in particular -- a desktop client, hosted service, and so on -- to help you deal with email?

Permalink to story.

Zero in my Gmail, even if I'm not interested in the email I still mark it as read to keep it all clean.
Work email has about 40k unread messages however, I get lots of "spam" emails :)

Zero in my Gmail, even if I'm not interested in the email I still mark it as read to keep it all clean.
Work email has about 40k unread messages however, I get lots of "spam" emails :)
I remember when I put my email in for KB toys when I was young to email me when the Nintendo DS was released, and of course I get like 20 junk emails daily after that. My gmail is great, and blocking features help reduce my spam in my Outlook.

None. I keep up on my e-mails quite regularly. Now my boss on the other hand? He probably has 2k unread e-mails that have piled up over the last 4 years he's been here.

Almost zero.
I regularly check emails in the morning, at noon, in the evening, and before going to sleep.
thunderbird for my yahoo email ads.
windows live mail for my microsoft accounts.
samsung galaxy y (wifi) for my sole gmail account .

0 I read them or delete them each time I check. Now if you look at the unread messages in my trash over the past 30 days, then that is probably in the 50-100 range.

0, as I have to check my email about 10 times a day, plus I use multiple email alerts.

Before I dumped my yahoo account I had about 5,000 unread e-mails. Add another 1,000 from Gmail and 500 from outlook and you get the idea that a) I am a lazy person or b) I am a lazy man.

I choose b. :p

I have 3 accounts: One main one, one half-main, and one for junk sites.

I check my main accounts everyday, but leave my junk one for months at a time. There's about 80 odd emails in it right now that I haven't read, or are plain spam.

Taking the time to actually click the unsubscribe links in spam is quite useful, and I tend to use email notifications with small polling intervals. So that's a zero for me.

0. I hate unread email, its like dirty dishes in the sink. Can't stand any to be unwashed and not put away. Call it OCD I guess.

I get more RSS feeds than I do Email and keep both cleared a few times daily. To be honest I get more RSS feeds from TechSpot than I do any other sources combined.

Whats the point in having email, if you are going to let it stack up into the thousands of unread mail? You know you will never read it all, so you might as well delete them and start over.

The inbox is telling me over three thousand. Most of those though, are probably duplicate notifications from Techspot.

I'll usually delete every one but the most recent, but not always.

I keep warning and banning notices too, just because I'm a sentimental old fool at heart. Certainly not because I think I'll learn anything from them...

I have a gmail account, their spam filter is pretty good (I have a different mail account that I give when I know I am going to be spammed). When (rarely) I get spam, I immediately report it.

I have 0 (zero) unread emails in my account and I like the fact that when the email client tells me "2 new email messages" that means that I actually do have 2 new messages to read.

Back