Nvidia demonstrates next generation Kepler Mobile graphics

By on April 12, 2013, 10:30 AM

Nvidia’s recent investor day was the perfect platform for CEO Jen-Hsun Huang to showcase the firm’s next generation mobile chip. Known as Kepler Mobile, the upcoming mobile hardware is derived from the high-end Kepler architecture that Nvidia uses for current-generation notebook and desktop GPUs.

Huang said Nvidia made a huge investment to port the PC hardware to mobile which required them to shrink the size of the chip and reduce the power consumption from dozens of watts to hundreds of milliwatts. Energy consumption and the subsequent cooling requirements that come with it have been one of the key reasons why mobile graphics have lagged behind their PC counterparts.

Huang said Nvidia wants to get multiple years ahead of the competition, making a strategic decision to delay other projects in order to develop Kepler Mobile at a faster rate. The chip will be able to play high-end PC titles and may even be capable of running DirectX 11 - a technology that would deliver advanced shadows and lighting, among other eye candy.

A video shown to attendees compared what the latest iPad powered by the A6X is capable of. Nvidia made sure to point out that 40 percent of the A6X’s silicon consists of GPUs. Next, onlookers were shown a demonstration of Battlefield 3 running on the company’s new mobile platform. The latter featured technology like HDR lighting and particle effects while the iPad’s graphics looked “vintage 1999”, Nvidia teased.

No word yet on when we can expect to see Kepler Mobile graphics show up, however.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Ok, now that is cool, How on earth did they get the Frostbite to engine to run on such a low powered device! Would love to know what kind of development went into making that possible.

1 person liked this | ikesmasher said:

Typically when you are trying to compare your product to someone elses, you use the same scene, imo. Doesnt that sort of make sense?

distantreality said:

I was wondering the same thing why didn't they use the same video to compare and run a side by side etc..

penn919 said:

I don't think Battlefield 3 is available on iPad...is it?

JC713 JC713 said:

This seems really glitchy. The floating objects should have been fixed before this was shown off.

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

Could not imagine playing BF3 with my fingers on a tablet.

JC713 JC713 said:

Could not imagine playing BF3 with my fingers on a tablet.

Yeah, that is why games will begin to go downhill in the next few years. Some may adopt touch interfaces.

MrAnderson said:

I wonder what the battery life will be like. 3-4 hours if having on blast like that?

It's still pretty darn cool... I don't care so much to have a full FPS running a tablet if I don't have a controller, or the option to connect it up to a larger display with controller... but it basically allows limitless imagination for software interface and presentation.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

If Windows 8 is any indication, you are absolutely correct.

JC713 JC713 said:

If Windows 8 is any indication, you are absolutely correct.

Yeah I was poking fun at Win 8.

distantreality said:

I don't think Battlefield 3 is available on iPad...is it?

I don't believe it is but you never know. They do have bf2 on android! I have not played it but I have seen it in the store!

JC713 JC713 said:

I downloaded BC2 like 2 years ago. It sucks. EA releases it and calls it a day. It is so glitchy and hasnt been updated in forever.

1 person liked this | Puiu Puiu said:

This doesn't have just a better GPU... To play BF3 you need a good x86 CPU too (much better than what the IPAD has). I'm pretty sure that AMD isn't too far behind them, it's just that they are focused more on the APU's now (especially having all 3 big major consoles under their wing).

Let's see AMD's response to this.

1 person liked this | JC713 JC713 said:

AMD has something under their belt as you said Puiu. For example, their APUs will surpass Haswells performance.

Mbloof said:

So they showed some blurry low resolution scene in need of some serious AA and compared it to a blurry low resolution scene with some serious need for AA that has some shadows and particle effects? Big deal. They could of at least picked a cross-platform title so we'd be comparing the same scene.

I do agree that the next race on the agenda is high powered graphics that uses as little actual power as possible. Give me good battery life AND good looks. The CPU at this point is moot.