Nvidia reportedly planning to offer Metro: Last Light with GeForces

By on April 15, 2013, 12:00 PM

Nvidia may be preparing to mount a counterattack against AMD's "Never Settle" game bundle initiative, according to TechPowerUp. The site reports that it has learned Nvidia is "frantically" looking to address its rival's program, which has been largely popular among mainstream enthusiasts who play games and presumably successful business-wise considering AMD is rumored to be expanding the freebies to its APUs (if that story pans out, certain A8 and A10 series APUs will be bundled with SimCity starting later this month).

Earlier this year, Nvidia took baby steps toward improving its bundle offers by packing the GTX 650 or higher with in-game credit for free-to-play titles including World of Tanks, Hawken and PlanetSide 2 -- better than nothing, but not exactly a stern challenge to BioShock Infinite, Tomb Raider, Far Cry 3 and the other triple-A pack-ins you can look forward to if you opt for a Radeon product. Stepping up its efforts, Nvidia is reportedly readying a new deal that will net mainstream GPU shoppers a free copy of Metro: Last Light.

If TechPowerUp has it right, as early as tomorrow the company will begin offering 4A Games' upcoming post-apocalyptic first-person shooter with all GeForce cards starting with the $200 GTX 660. Though the game doesn't launch for a month, that would definitely be a step closer to the attractiveness of AMD's promotion, which currently gets you BioShock Infinite, Tomb Raider and Far Cry 3 with a Radeon HD 7800 series card in addition to Crysis 3, Sleeping Dogs and Hitman: Absolution if you buy dual HD 7900 series cards.

1 person liked this | Win7Dev said:

Nvidia has this all wrong. It's about raw performance, not the freebies that come with the graphics card. Give me a $50 discount instead of giving me a game.

1 person liked this | JC713 JC713 said:

They are only doing this since AMD is offering up to 4 games with a card. A lot of people see the games as a discount. For example, a $60 game is basically like 60 bucks off in some poeples eyes. Especially if it is a game they wanted.

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

I will "never settle" for a Radeon again...well, not anytime soon. It's good to see all these regular and CrossfireX frametime/latency reviews backup what I have noticed for years...even when they benchmark faster, they feel slower compared to a GTX.

Really put the foot in the mouths 7950/7970 owners. You got what you paid for.

JC713 JC713 said:

Really put the foot in the mouths 7950/7970 owners. You got what you paid for.

The only thing that irks me about AMD is the drivers. They are being improved with each release. Especially with the recent launch of the uninstall utility.

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

I agree, I wish they would do something like that but on a side note can probably sell the game new and make something.

Chazz said:

Ya, just search Ebay. You can make it a discount if you wanted to. They're actually bundling sweet games though, so a lot just use the codes.

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

Nvidia is looking desperate.

2 people like this | dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Nvidia is looking desperate.

Obviously.

I'm sure AMD would love to enjoy the level of desperation that Nvidia is going through if the company are in a strong enough position to buy back another $1bn of their own stock.

Marketing is not news... though the fact video card cost more because some exec thinks I want that bundled game is laughable.. & quite disturbing.

Footlong Footlong said:

Nice, I already own a HD 7950 and I'm happy with that. Still a free game is always welcome.

Nvidia is looking desperate.

Obviously.

Yes, nVidia is strong in it's mobile market. AMD however is at a big loss. Only the console market can save AMD now.