Outlook.com migration complete, service hits 400 million active accounts

By on May 2, 2013, 4:30 PM

Microsoft today announced it has completed moving its Hotmail.com users over to Outlook.com, roughly nine months after first taking the wraps off its revamped email service at the end of July 2012. According to the company, there are currently 400 million active Outlook.com accounts, noting that the growing organic excitement over the service helped pushed that number up from “over 300 million” at Hotmail’s peak.

That’s also up from 60 million active accounts when Outlook.com came out of preview in February, and out of the total number of users, there are 125 million that are accessing email, calendar and contacts on a mobile device via Exchange ActiveSync. All in all, 150 petabyes of email data were migrated over the past six weeks.

To celebrate the milestone Microsoft is also rolling out two significant upgrades to the service: SMTP Send and deeper SkyDrive integration. The former streamlines the process of sending email from an alias, including non-Outlook addresses, without recipients seeing a message saying “Sent on behalf of…”.

As for the improved SkyDrive integration, it specifically centers on the message composer, which now allows users to select SkyDrive photos and files from the cloud storage service and automatically turn those into the right thumbnails with links that have the right permissions tied to people that receive the email.

Both new features are rolling out today. Microsoft says SMTP should be available immediately to all users worldwide, while the SkyDrive integration is being rolled out gradually over the next few weeks.

VitalyT VitalyT said:

This prompted me to creating a new account on outlook.com

I was expecting to see an interface almost identical with Outlook 2013 on the desktop, but to my surprise the two resemble almost nothing, just default palette. And that's the reason I didn't feel like continuing with my test.

I would like to find unity across desktop, web and touch-screen with office documents, and until I do, I stick with just Google documents.

To be honest, I want it to be different. What's the point of paying outlook 2013 then?

VitalyT VitalyT said:

If you want your Office 2013 to be different from Office 365, you would be in a dying minority. Most people want unity when it comes to using the same application across platforms.

And the point of using Outlook 2013 is the same and as general as for the entire Office 2013:

1. Maintaining local storage of all your documents, for the reasons of security and/or portability.
  2. To be able to share documents across a local network / intranet.
  3. To be able to continue working while not connected to the Internet.
  4. To avoid any chance of data loss while using an unstable internet connection.
tonylukac said:

I wonder if you can still use @live.com. Last time I checked, you still could.

JC713 JC713 said:

I still have a @hotmail.com domain. I wonder if that will ever change.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Outlook.com is free, Outlook is not. If the two looked the same and performed the same, this would be bad.

GeforcerFX GeforcerFX said:

I wonder if you can still use @live.com. Last time I checked, you still could.

@outlook.com, @live.com, and @hotmail.com are all still choices available. I went ahead and made another email account with the @outlook.com to go with my main @live.com mail account, so far I am really enjoying the new layout of outlook.com I have been using it for around 4 months now. I have always been a hotmail or live mail person ever since leaving my ISP mail, thought the new layout and features added a lot to the service.

Arris Arris said:

I wonder if you can still use @live.com. Last time I checked, you still could.

Given I still use an address with @hotmail.com I'd say you can.

Hotmail Android app has needed an overhaul for a long time now, this isn't a bad start. Still prefer Gmail app though.

j05hh j05hh said:

Still no imap sync only pop

Still no imap sync only pop

It does support Exchange ActiveSync which is superior to IMAP.