Microsoft confirms Windows Blue update is shipping later this year

By on May 7, 2013, 10:14 AM

Update: Microsoft's Julie Larson-Green further confirmed the news about Windows 'Blue' today, narrowing down a date for the OS' next milestone. A public preview of the next Windows is scheduled for release at this year's Build, Microsoft's annual conference scheduled to take place from June 26th to the 28th. The final release of Windows 8.1 is expected by the end of this year.

Rumors about what exactly Windows Blue will be have flown around the Internet for months and we already have a few ideas of what to expect. Now, thanks to a blog post from Microsoft interviewing Chief Marketing Officer and Chief Financial Officer Tami Reller, we finally have official confirmation that the codename refers to the next major update to Windows 8 shipping later this year.

Microsoft's ultimate goal with Windows Blue is getting the OS to run on a wider range of devices, which makes a great deal of sense with all of the rumors we've been hearing of the company planning to release a smaller version of Surface tablets. Reller specifically cites a "broad array of form factors of all sizes, display, battery life and performance" when she is referring to the changes in Windows Blue.

Windows Blue will also address some of the complaints from critics of the OS. Reller did not specifically talk about which criticisms the update would address, but simply said, "the Windows Blue update [is] an opportunity for us to respond to the customer feedback that we’ve been closely listening to since the launch of Windows 8 and Windows RT."

The interview also discussed Windows 8 apps, which Reller says have grown in number six-fold since the OS launched, noting that they have "already passed what iOS had in store, in its first year of app development."

Speaking about Windows 8 adoption, Tami Reller revealed they've surpassed 100 million licenses sold, including licenses that ship on a new tablet or PC, as well as upgrades to Windows 8. In spite of it not being the boom Microsoft was expecting, the company is still happy with the performance overall. Reller rejects any notion of the PC being past its prime arguing it is "very much alive and increasingly mobile."

At this point, it's difficult to say exactly what changes will come as part of Windows Blue. While Reller confirmed it will address customer feedback, she remained very vague about the specifics, particularly on the rumored return of the Start Button and a boot straight to desktop option. Other details including pricing, packaging and go-to-market details about Blue are expected to be revealed in the next couple of weeks.

4 people like this | MilwaukeeMike said:

Yeah, like computers maybe! If they include options to get rid of the swiping in from the sides of the screen to get to menus then I'll buy it. Multiple monitors are common nowadays and it shouldn't be a hassle to use your PC because of it.

Maybe they could put a button in the bottom left that would allow you access programs and settings and such. Just an idea.

MrBungle said:

I have seen nothing so far in Win 8.1 that really compels me to move my desktops to MS's second gen cell phone OS.

Microsoft has gotten to be about as ugly as Apple since its introduction of Windows 8, and its going to take a lot more than a mediocre upgrade to make it look pretty again. Initially, I thought 8 would be a worth upgrade to 7 and at least as good as XP. Now, after installing 8 on one computer (mercifully running under Ex7forw8), after suffering through MS's insufferable ad campaign, and enduring all the Microshill and rentboy hype, I wouldn't even buy a Windows phone.

JC713 JC713 said:

Let us hope 8.1 brings back the option to enable the classic start menu, a hope that is far fetched.

1 person liked this | VitalyT VitalyT said:

And the installation tune in Windows Blue will be...

Oh wait, wasn't it the opening theme in Iron Man 3? Perhaps Microsoft paid for that one...

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

According to my brother-in-law who works for Microsoft, 8.1 will bring back the Start Button. However, not the Start Menu.

As for Metro, it is not going anywhere. In fact, the plan is to converge both sides, so that transitions between desktop and Metro are as seamless and painless as possible.

2 people like this | VitalyT VitalyT said:

So, in Windows 8 MS removes the Start button along with the menu.

In Windows 8.1 we get the Start button back, but no start menu. It's a sad/blue story indeed.

In Windows 8.2 we get Start menu added to the Start button.

The progress is staggering.

1 person liked this | lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

So, in Windows 8 MS removes the Start button along with the menu.

In Windows 8.2 we get Start menu added to the Start button.

The progress is staggering.

The Start Menu is not coming back. Ever.

The Start Button was brought back for a simple reason: conduit.

You see, the "Start Button" was actually placed in the charms bar, only visible when you swipe form the right. This is more easily identifiable to users with touchscreens than those with M+K. To help with this, the Start button is being brought back for it to serve as a both literal and metaphorical conduit to the Start Screen, which is, the "new" Start Menu.

So don't think of the button being brought back as the Start Menu progressively making a come back; it is being added back for the sake of familiarity.

The change was actually not made by the Windows team. Instead, it seems it was forced onto them by their higher-ups. This is particularly sad, as it shows you how detached teams are in Microsoft.

Lastly, I was told the the button and boot-to-desktop is all being brought back due to businesses and the enterprise's reluctance to upgrade (arguably where Microsoft makes the most money other than OEM licences). Not the consumers.

Puiu Puiu said:

Is it still fullscreen? if so then I will still avoid metro like the plague. you can't call this windows if it does not provide "windows" for apps, search, etc.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Yes, still fullscreen. Though, in 8.1, more apps can be resized to your liking. Meaning you could have three or four apps snapped, versus only a big and a small one in 8.

Don't think of Metro as a desktop replacement that's not there yet. It's not a replacement, and will never be there. It's there to complement.

Personally, I turned it off.

soldier1969 soldier1969 said:

Nice try Microsoft but I'm sticking with what works Win 7 64bit and its fast enough with my vertex 4 512Gb SSD so don't try that "Its faster than 7" nonsense either.

JC713 JC713 said:

I havent tried Windows 8, but I am willing to try it when this new update comes out. MS is moving on, I cant complain. But I do love the start menu, but I think the new start screen is more "hip".

2 people like this | Dustyn Dustyn said:

Nahhh! Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Edition SP1 is perfect just the way it is... try again please!

dennis777 dennis777 said:

Click the start button - shows the Metro style :P

3 people like this | veLa veLa said:

Until the start button comes back I'm sticking with Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Railman said:

One company is selling W7 at a higher cost than W8. W7 is also their most popular OS. Says it all!

VitalyT VitalyT said:

From one of my previous posts: [link]

I never was asked to pay that kind of money for upgrading to Windows 7.

Tha General Tha General, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Until the start button comes back I'm sticking with Windows 7 Ultimate x64

yea and until there is a big difference in gaming performance, which its not.

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

Adoption rate is going to skyrocket if they put the Start Button back. Just needs a "Desktop Mode" and a "Tablet Mode". That's so simple.

JC713 JC713 said:

yea and until there is a big difference in gaming performance, which its not.

There cant be until a new DX revision comes out.

Tha General Tha General, TechSpot Paladin, said:

There cant be until a new DX revision comes out.

oh, well im sticking with win7 for now. no rush anyway. IMO not even sure why they even made win8, should of just updated win7 with a new great service pack.

JC713 JC713 said:

Yeah, I wish they deployed at least 1 more service pack. They should give the user the option to have the start menu. I dont get how that is so hard.

I actually don't mind Windows 8. I like the quicker bootup times, improved task manager, and the new window for copying files. With an SSD boot time is ridiculously fast. Though, I admit I've never used a single Metro app and always stay in desktop mode...and of course I got a third party start menu application.

Tha General Tha General, TechSpot Paladin, said:

They never listen to the community, just like google/youtube never listen to us about stop changing their designs, or MySpace , etc. big major companies never listen or care about the community.

JC713 JC713 said:

I actually can care less is companies like YouTube redesign. They are pushing for a more modern site. MS is changing a whole OS. It is basically like rewiring your brain.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Windows Blue!!

TheBigFatClown said:

So what you are saying is that you love Windows 8 because you made it look like Windows 7 again? LOL.

With an SSD boot time on Windows 7 is ridiculously fast so that's a moot point.

So your admitting that you love Windows 8 but you never use the Metro interface. Which begs the question, why in the hell did you even upgrade to Windows 8??? Can I take a guess??? You got it for $14.99 and said why not. Wonderful.

Railman said:

I could not care less about faster boot times on my work PC. It gets switched on at 9:40 and is closed down at 17:45. In any case I make a cup of tea during boot up. Productivity during use is more important. W7 works well with multiple screens and multiple windows open. Why change to W8?

2 people like this | VitalyT VitalyT said:

Why change to W8?

I was thinking of what could be the good reasons for upgrading to Windows 8 from Windows 7, and here's my list:

1. If you have a touch-screen device, it is a no-brainer.
  2. If you rely on a laptop a lot and battery life matters to you. Windows 8 is already way more ergonomic than Windows 7, but the energy-saving updates that come with Windows Blue, optimized for Haswell, will be unbeatable. According to some projections your laptop's lifespan with Windows Blue on Haswell will double that with Windows 7 on Ivy Bridge. This however isn't really an upgrade, just best option when buying a new laptop later this year.
  3. If you are a software developer, and require testing against Windows 8.
  4. If support of custom DPI is needed and/or better multi-monitor support. If you have enough money to buy a 4K monitor already, you might want to tweak DPI for best results. And if you have 2+ monitors, Windows 8 is way better at it. Although, in all fairness, I am divided if this is a good enough reason.

And that's it, I can't think of any other good reason for swapping to Windows 8.

Myself, I use Win7 x64 Ultimate on my desktop, plus I have Macbook Air with Windows 8 Pro as the second OS. I bought it for $15, plus $5 for Start8, and think that was a good investment.

And I know that I will be assembling a new rig this fall based on Haswell and Windows Blue, good or bad, I'm stuck with Windows for now, as Visual Studio 2010 and 2012 are my primary tools.

1 person liked this | TheBigFatClown said:

Why change to W8?

1. If you have a touch-screen device, it is a no-brainer.
  3. If you are a software developer, and require testing against Windows 8.

Ummmmm, I am developer who used to use Visual Studio 2010 and am currently using Visual Studio 2012 on Windows 7 Ultimate x64. Please tell us all, me specifically because I am dying to know, how using either Visual Studio 2010 or 2012 mandates that you must use Windows 8 as your primary operating system?

Your arguments for upgrading to Windows 8 suck a rosy red titty, like most hollow posts that I feel a need to respond to. Get your priorities right you sponge-headed zombies and do some thinking for yourselves. You don't choose an operating system just because it can burn energy at a slower pace. Haswell processors will reduce power consumption and increase battery life on any laptop regardless of the operating system it is running on. Do you want me to rush out and buy a new laptop with Windows 8 so I can get on my roof and scream, "My ***** Windows 8 laptop is still running after 10 hours. Aren't I special?"

If I could get double the battery life on a Windows 8 laptop I wouldn't use it because I can't stand a UI that is in-my-face 24/7. I don't need live tiles ******* updating constantly on my screen. Does Windows 8 come with a warning about the possibility of having seizures for ellileptics?

Windows 8 is a ***** tablet OS which should have be confined to tablets. But even if Microsoft had been smart and never released it to desktop there would still be a problem.

Googles Android OS is taking care of most of the world just fine.

Windows 8 on desktop = Dead On Arrival = ain't ever gonna happen on this computer

Windows 8 on tablet = too little too late to the game

People need to realize there is only so much you can do on a tablet. They are toys, not productivity tools.

VitalyT VitalyT said:

Now I am dying to know where exactly in my post did you see something even remotely hinting at that?

When you post a reply before reading the message it tells us that your need for posting is way ahead of your thinking.

You may jump off that roof, for all I care, you are the big fat clown.

For all the other jiving and screaming that I won't even quote here, you pass for a psychotic nerd. Go chew on a Prozac or something...

TheBigFatClown said:

You may jump off that roof, for all I care, you are the big fat clown.

So you had no valid retort for any one of mine? Your arguments for people to "rush out" and buy Windows 8 because of a longer battery life are just well....hilarious.

What it's called when a person digresses into attacking the debater instead of responding to his points? I forget.

TheBigFatClown said:

"good or bad, I'm stuck with Windows for now, as Visual Studio 2010 and 2012 are my primary tools."

Your words, not mine.

VitalyT VitalyT said:

Read it again. If it didn't sink in the second time - try again. You lack common sense, if you don't understand what you are reading. That's why I didn't bother wasting my arguments against your "points".

Edited: That sentence is talking about Windows in general, got nothing to do with Windows 8 upgrading points.

Paul Boland Paul Boland said:

Will Windows 8.1 be a free update for Windows 8 users when it get final release

VitalyT VitalyT said:

Will Windows 8.1 be a free update for Windows 8 users when it get final release

There has been a rumor going on around about that, but no confirmation or denial as yet. What does make sense - since Microsoft is moving towards an update schedule similar to Apple's, even if they charge anything for the update, it cannot be more than the discount price for the initial Windows 8.0, I.e. $30, give or take. I'm betting that MS won't charge anything for the update on top of existing 8.0 licenses, considering how weak their Windows 8 position as it is, and 8.1 should be treated as a service pack.

Edited: I just researched this matter from the most recent sources, and it appears that I was right to put my money on a free update. It is now official: [link]

It says that right in the very first paragraph

TheBigFatClown said:

Will Windows 8.1 be a free update for Windows 8 users when it get final release

It says that right in the very first paragraph

I hope they actually charge something for it. I wanna see how stupid they actually are. The whole operating system should be free. They couldn't pay me to install that crap on my desktop. Well, only if they started at or above $1,000.00.

P.S. Isn't it past your bedtime?

MrBungle said:

Personally, I turned it off.

Windows used to allow only dedicating parts of your screen to applications, they couldn't overlap, but you could have more than 2 of them open at a time... when was this? all the way back in version 1.0. I really don't see how MS can consider bringing a gimped version of functionality designed to run on an 8086 progress.

Capaill said:

I bought Win8 last month while upgrading the PC because I wanted to see what was so new and special about it.

I tried really really hard to use the Metro interface but it is just horrible. If I open an app it fills the screen with no visible way to close it (Escape doesn't work, that should be a no-brainer). If I install new software it creates gigantic tiles on the screen for every option (like run software, connect to website, run config tool, etc). There is no way to create groups or folders (subsections) on the metro interface, other than creating a new gigantic 2 columns. It's very hard to rearrange icons to how you want them, your only choice is left to right over 2 columns, top to bottom. It's just painful.

I ended up installing Classic Shell with a Start button/menu and boot to desktop. My main gripe now is that windows in the desktop look horrible. The Aero interface is gone so we have lost transparent surrounds and curved corners. Also I can't figure out how to get rid of the splashscreen that I have to click on login to enter my password.

I also had huge problems with Win8 support on brand new hardware (mainly motherboard utilities and wireless N router/adaptors). A classic example: I couldn't get Windows to install a driver for my new N450 adaptor ... and Windows kept complaining it couldn't connect to the internet to find a new driver. Sigh. Or, when trying to install my Gigabyte motherboard software, its utility told me I was using WinXP and needed to upgrade to SP3!

It almost feels like Windows 8 isn't taken very seriously yet in the tech world.

VitalyT VitalyT said:

Some of the trouble you've had were conveyed through Windows 8 Experience feedback, which resulted in certain changes in the upcoming Windows Blue (free update) that you may like:

1. Running metro applications on the desktop, inside a window.

2. Arranging metro icons in terms of size and grouping, plus sticking them together.

Start8 is the best software for that, with the price of $5 it is well worth it.

This is very subjective. Many people like the new look. It looks more basic because it doesn't add useless effects to it, rather makes it concise and clear.

There are many articles about it, if you just google for them. In essence, you don't really need to click on the splash screen at all, pressing Enter will work just fine.

This is why Microsoft offers Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant to run before the upgrade, so you can see in advance what to expect in terms of the drivers support and software compatibility.

It almost feels like Windows 8 isn't taken very seriously yet in the tech world
Despite many complaints the Windows 8 is receiving, driver updates just take time, same as for previous OS updates. Considering how fresh the OS is, some drivers may still be in development. Anyway, it is the hardware manufacturers to blame for being slow on the driver updates, not Microsoft. MS has been known to tighten up security of drivers with each OS update, which is why drivers from Windows 7 may have issues.

JC713 JC713 said:

1. If you have a touch-screen device, it is a no-brainer.
  3. If you are a software developer, and require testing against Windows 8.

The energy saving optimization made to blue are very minimal. I think you would be interested in this if you have an iPad: http://www.splashtop.com/win8

TheBigFatClown said:

1. Running metro applications on the desktop, inside a window.

Kind of like "Windows 7" already does.

Start8 is the best software for that, with the price of $5 it is well worth it.

Kind of like "Windows 7" already has.

Yeah, useless effects. Who wants effects in anything. I say we scrap the effects in video games too so that we can get more frames per second. I say developers target games should be games like pong. Pong is a pretty basic game. It's clear what the goal is, and it's concise. And think of the performance gains without those silly effects.

I hate to be the one to break the bad news to you but in the case of Windows 8, time will not heal all wounds. Windows 8 was a mistake, period. And Microsoft just can't see the writing on the wall.

VitalyT VitalyT said:

According to Intel, Haswell brings the biggest energy savings in one platform iteration ever. According to Microsoft, they make changes in Windows Blue to make use of those new energy saving features. If you put the two together, the total effect should be very good. And there is no information about how significant are the changes in Blue for that... Any link?

@TheBigFatClown, to all the outright negativity about Windows 8 you're trying to impose on others here there is an old saying - "prejudice never shows much reason". And to quote Yoda - "Hate leads to suffering", that's where you're heading, young apprentice

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

So does sitting back and letting others rail road you. So do you want to go down quietly or kicking and screaming?

VitalyT VitalyT said:

Check my avatar - do I look worried?

JC713 JC713 said:

That is advertising. Haswell will improve battery life no doubt, I didnt argue that. I just argued that Windows 8 Blue wont that much. I saw an article a few weeks back that showed the improvements from Blue. They were very minimal. I will try to find them for you.

Puiu Puiu said:

1. Running metro applications on the desktop, inside a window.

I can't find the (1) you mentioned. As far as I know you'll only be able to open more than 2 apps with the snap-on feature (3 or 4) but not in windows.

Windows means you should be able to resize and reposition them where you want on the desktop (if developers want you to be able to do it) plus it should appear on the taskbar as a window.

Tell me if I'm wrong because there are way too many unconfirmed rumors.