Nokia announces the Lumia 625, a budget 4.7" Windows Phone

By on July 23, 2013, 9:30 AM
nokia, windows phone, lumia, wp8, lumia 625

Nokia has announced a brand new entrant in their Lumia Windows Phone line-up, the Nokia Lumia 625. The handset not only comes with the largest display seen on a Lumia device so far, but it's also the cheapest in the line to include LTE radios. Nokia's Lumia 625 is a successor to the Lumia 620 that was released at the very start of this year, and sees a number of changes across the board.

The device includes a 4.7-inch 480 x 800 (WVGA) LCD display with a super-sensitive touchscreen, a dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 processor clocked at 1.2 GHz - likely the MSM8930 with an Adreno 305 GPU - alongside 512 MB of RAM, 8 GB of internal storage and LTE radios. There's also a microSD card slot in the body that's just 9.15mm thick, as well as a 5-megapixel rear camera.

It's surprising to see Nokia rolling out their largest display yet into a budget design, choosing to include a WXGA 4.5-inch panel in the recently announced Lumia 1020 flagship, but despite this decision it still manages to be a wallet-friendly device. The phone will cost just €220 (~US$290) out of contract when it launches in Q3 2013 in most territories worldwide, although North America is missing from the list.

The release marks another step in Nokia's strategy to deliver smartphones at a range of prices and in a range of markets worldwide, catering for the majority of people who are looking for a new device. The strategy, especially for the budget market, seems to be working reasonably well, as their cheapest Lumia, the Lumia 520, is so far the most popular Windows Phone available.

JC713 JC713 said:

Wow that screen is just bad. But what do you expect from a budget phone. The problem with Nokia is that they like carrier specific-deals. That means a smaller range of phones.

1 person liked this | treeski treeski said:

I don't think it's too surprising. Nokia wanted to release a device with a larger screen, but the high resolutions that you'll find on Android aren't supported on WP yet. The only way they could release a bigger phone was to have it target the low-budget market, otherwise they'd release a high-end phone with a "mediocre" resolution.

1 person liked this | Chazz said:

I don't understand this. If Nokia wanted to release a 1080p phone, they can. They work very closely with microsoft. Their phones had NFC when people thought NFC wasn't supported. Officially it wasn't but Microsoft added it in for them and then released it for everyone. Their motivations is to have phones from top to bottom. From prepaid phones in rite aid, to high end phones. Nokia is always adding things that the other manufacturers can't or don't do. The reasoning is much more simple. Businesses want market share and they want volume. That's how they get their money, the budget sector. High end phones make headlines and we love to talk about them, but they aren't what makes or breaks a company. You acn see the same thing with Nokia and AMD, the mainstream sector is something to go after.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

I prefer the mid ranges phone to range toppers. Far better value for money. High end phones are nothing special really and they are way overpriced.

In the days before smartphones I always used Nokia cellphones. I just wish they produced Android phones nowadays.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Oh I don't know. I quite like it. Pity it's not Android but the screen is fine for me. I'm really not overly impressed by these king sized screens on phones.

JC713 JC713 said:

Yeah, I like 4 inch screens.

1 person liked this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Yeah, I like 4 inch screens.

I find it's the sweet spot between usability & portability.

JC713 JC713 said:

I find it's the sweet spot between usability & portability.

Yeah, definitely.