Microsoft announces Sculpt Ergonomic Desktop

By on August 13, 2013, 12:45 PM
microsoft, sculpt ergonomic desktop, sculpt ergonomic keyboard, sculpt ergonomic mouse

Microsoft on Tuesday revealed the next evolution of ergonomic input devices collectively known as the Sculpt Ergonomic Desktop. It’s a combination of the Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard and the Sculpt Ergonomic Mouse, two products that are an extension of Microsoft’s Natural line of ergonomic gear that dates back nearly 20 years.

The Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard features a unique split design that looks a bit different than anything you’ve probably seen to date. It’s designed to help position the wrists and forearms in a natural, more relaxed position. The palm rest is said to have a cushion-like feel and is raised to reduce wrist pronation.

Naturally (no pun intended), the board is optimized for Windows and features an array of hotkeys across the top for quick access to Windows 8 charms, media playback and snap controls. The number pad is a separate wireless device that can be moved out of the way when not in use – pretty nifty.

The Sculpt Ergonomic Mouse was designed to complement the keyboard with a unique shape that encourages natural posture. It’s taller than most mice to reduce contact between the surface of your desk and the bottom of your hand to minimize carpal tunnel pressure while the angle puts your forearm in a more relaxed position.

Ergonomics aside, the mouse features a Windows button for quick Start screen access in Windows 8, a back button for easier browser navigation and a scroll wheel that allows for horizontal and vertical scrolling.

The Sculpt Ergonomic Desktop will be available later this month at an MSRP of $129.95 while the Sculpt Ergonomic Mouse can he had separately if you choose for $59.95.

wastedkill said:

Oh got not the dreaded wave keyboard... and that design on the keyboard and mouse .... jesus talk about creating monstrous products!

I would never try those products I don't even know anyone who would want to they just looks unhealthy and non-user friendly.

1 person liked this | RenGood08 RenGood08 said:

....there are no words....

ikesmasher said:

I find it hard to imagine thats worth the price of adjusting your typing for. But I guess it works for some people...

I use an ergonomic keyboard and will only use that. I have the Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro and will not get rid of it, would love to have it Bluetooth though.

JC713 JC713 said:

The products concept is great, but that blank space in the middle is just bothering me! I would prefer a Wave over this.

mctommy said:

Used to love the wave keyboards from Logitech but the last one I got they keys got stuck over time (not sure why lol). Went to a soft key illuminated Logitech and love it. I guess I don't game and don't type as much as before so this suits me fine. Those ergo keyboards are still very popular and helps with posture when you type a lot.

I agree they should have filled that void... It just tries too hard to look "unique"

I love natural keyboards. But Microsoft is ******* around with insert/delete, home/end, page up/down keys. I use them regularly and this is impossible what have they done now. ;(

I will stay with Natural 4000.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I like the design but agree with the guest above, I want my insert, etc., keys the way they are on other keyboards, and will stay with the Natural 4000. (Not that I would have spent $130 just to get this design anyway. The 4000 is good enough for me.)

nismo91 said:

Hmm I always have a love for curved keyboard. my first acer laptop has a curved keyboard (which is great) but they killed it and replaced it with mac-style shitty keyboard which is nowhere as comfortable as the old one.

have a microsoft wireless desktop comfort edition. it's curvy and I love it. wanted ergonomics one but it's too expensive for me. at that price I'd get a mechanical keyboard instead.

So Microsoft makes a touch screen based OS and then creates new keyboard/mouse, do the departments talk to each other?

Ma_ga said:

I've been using the "natural" keyboard for around 10 years now, the one I like the most was the "Natural Multimedia Keyboard" (minus the screw of the home/end/del/etc keys). It have a lot of multimedia keys and some more custom key, it was very robust, I still have it (with stiff keys !_!).

Currently have the Natural 4000 (second one) the natural form itss better, but the quality it's terrible, this is my second Natural 4000 and 1 multimedia key already have issues and the cusion its pealing already.

Now this new keyboard (Sculpt) looks terrible, like a design from one of those page that post a lot of pretty thing but mindless useless or inpractical. why the hell I want I laptop-like keyboard with no multimedia keys X_x.

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

I will stay with Natural 4000.

That's funny because the new positions are exactly the reason why I would want to buy one. I want my Home/End keys as close to the arrow keys as possible. I'd swap the PgUp/PgDn keys with the Home/End ones. Or at least re-map them.